Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: ID Help Please

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Yeah, I wasn't looking (or expecting) a consensus opinion by any stretch, but I agree that's pretty close, especially for the crowd that hangs out here! Thanks for the responses guys.

As I mentioned, I throw a size 16-18 Red Quill to imitate it, and do fine with that, but I imagine a host of other flies would do just as well. Follow up question - what would you guys use to imitate it (dun phase) and why? Just think this kind of conversation is fun, especially in mid-January.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 15:01

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Your picture is a dun. If they are actively hatching, and fish are taking duns, then yes, dun phase.

With a lot of hatches, including this one, the nymphs ride just under the surface as they emerge. On a mountain freestoner, those fish probably aren't being all that picky, and taking nymphs, emergers, and duns as available.

But on some streams they'll get picky and focus in on the nymphs in the surface film, letting floating duns float on by. It's frustrating for the fisherman because you see the dang rises, have the size and color correct, but can't hook up as much as you think you should. It's not that your presenting the dun poorly, or the size or color is a touch off. It's that you should be using an unweighted nymph floated IN the surface film, not on it.

That'd be my biggest word of advice. If you notice a lot of refusals, try floating a nymph. An unweighted pheasant tail of the same size would do the trick, fish it like a dry, unless it's sinking too much, in which case grease the leader.

But so long as it's working. Carry on!

Posted on: 2012/1/13 15:13

From Harrisburg
Photo quality is brutal. Sorry about that. But this was taken in late September 2011 in Dauphin Pa.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/1/15 20:41

From Stevens,Pa.
oops

Posted on: 2012/1/29 9:30

Edited by brookieaddict on 2012/1/29 9:51:19

From Stevens,Pa.
I think its a Pale Morningdun. cathesfishisbythebunchez.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 9:49

From LV
So I'd like to know when color doesn't matter anymore. Who made that declaration? I'd like to see someone catch a sulphur on a male hendrickson pattern. Oh it could happen on a freestone stream where both bugs hatch, but if the trout are keyed in on one mayfly it does matter.
Size includes the body proportions as well as length. Color is what a trout sees from where it is in relation to the fly. There are often times many refusals to flies that are otherwise very attractive patterns, the trout will rise and give it a look but drop down without taking the fly because it just doesn't look right.
It can be the shade of the color that causes the refusal. The underside of mayflies in particular, vary greatly from the back of the fly, it may not even be the same color. Next time you hold a mayfly in your hand take a good look at it, making close inspection of the underside compared to the back, on most mayflies there is a discernible difference in color., If you tie the fly to the color of the back you may be tying it in the wrong color. On flies it is less so, but they do differ.
While I’ll admit that what is seen by a trout from the bottom of a stream is going to be different from what we see, there can be no doubt that trout see a different color when they see a fly close up.
As to the fly pictured in the original post it will go with some form of Paralept.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 0:40

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Chaz, I wouldn't go as far as saying color doesn't matter at all. It's just that, personally, I rank it behind a number of other factors. Size and floating characteristics, mainly.

Lots of very good fishermen can cover virtually everything with various imitations of the Adams family.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 8:25

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com