Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Help on Mayfly ID

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
redietz sums up my views on this very well. It is one thing to describe a particular fly pattern. And "BWO" is fine by me if you hold it to merely a color description.

But this is the hatch forum, where we're identifying bugs. And you know what? If someone tells me they want to fish the BWO hatch on Spring Creek, they are describing a BUG, not a pattern that can sometimes be used to fish said bug. With that description comes all sorts of expectations. For instance.

This bug is of the Baetis variety. While it occurs pretty much everywhere, limestoners are generally considered to have the large, fishable hatches. It occurs in the early spring (late Feb. through April, with March as "prime time"), and again in the late fall (October-November). Though the larger numbers and size are in the spring. It's a mid-day thing, it can start as early as 11:00 a.m. or so but usually early afternoon. You can nymph it effectively before they start hatching, but generally, duns are the way to go. Fishing is typically better in drizzly weather. Pay particular attention to the current breaks dividing the main current and side eddies, it's where they often feed. Feeding is typically done in "pods". The hatch tends to come in "waves", and you can use this to your advantage. It's a well known hatch, and the first major one of the year, plus lots of waters are closed at this time, so there's usually plenty of guys chasing it. However, often a wave starts up in the early afternoon and dies off, and most guys get in their cars and go home thinking it's over. Don't. Very often, there's another wave coming. Overall, the times I've hit this one right have been my best fishing on often difficult limestoners, and I have topped 30 on multiple occasions. This requires a good hatch with uncrowded streams, so you can go from pod to pod and take the dullards. If you can move, it's a lot more efficient to do this than to sit over the tougher fish, which are still rising but have wisened up a bit.

Yet, someone who frequents larger freestoners is gonna look at me cross-eyed after reading this. They are familiar with the Drunella variety, which is a summer time bug, and acts, well, a lot like a sulfur. Emergers, spinner falls, and all that jazz. Just with a BWO color scheme. It's an entirely different bug in everything else that matters.

So, in the hatch forum, when talking about bugs and not patterns to match, I for one will continue to discriminate between wildly different bugs which happen to share a common name.

Otherwise, lets just call em all mayfly's. After all, an Adam's works for all of them, right?

Posted on: 2013/9/3 12:19

From Stevens to Twenty mile
We have them all over freestone streams in SE PA. Being a Marine Biology major and knowing some sun fish dialect I asked a few and they said its a tastesdeliciousalldaylongis. Who am I to question it.?

Posted on: 2013/11/5 6:15

From Eastern PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
I thought "tossing a little Latin around" would land you in jail. You must have had a good lawyer.

Actually I think "tossing a little Greek around" lands you in jail.

Regardless, two month old post and just throw (two months ago) yellow dubbing on your choice of hook at them.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 1:35

I agree it's two months old but it's a topic that takes up too much time in my opinion. If you fish anywhere but in the east the fly you are throwing has a name. It may be named after someone who has put the time into tweaking the fly through trial and error on the stream actually fishing. It may carry the name of the river,stream,area,or hole, guide but it is never named after a dead language. Just my humble opinion.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 5:27

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
This is the "hatch and entomology" forum. We are identifying bugs, not fly patterns. I could do without the latin, but right now, that's the only naming method which is actually based on biological classification.

Often a fly pattern is named after the common name for a bug, or vice versa. But the two should not be comfused. You can use a March Brown fly to match a Hendrickson hatch with success. That does not mean that the bug is a March Brown.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 8:38

You are 100% correct and I apologise, when I read JACKMs' thread it made me laugh out loud. I do the same thing to someone who asks "what there biting on", I have gotten some realy hatefull looks in response. Sorry I mudied the water, carry on.

P.S. The fly in question may be a Ephemerella invaria, Ephemerella dorothea dorothea,or Eperous vitreus,or Leucrocuta hebe. It doesn't realy matter as they are doing D.N.A. testing on most mayflys so the genius will remain the same but names will change in the future.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 17:03

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com