Help Identify

SBecker

SBecker

This landed on me on Thursday while fishing the Lehigh. Help please I am by no means an expert on bugs.
IMAG1137.jpg

the position its in and the color and where you got it I would have to say Black Quill spinner.

Intresting, never even heard of a black quill. I think it is a dun though not a spinner.

Laughing at myself right now thinking I am disagreeing when I don't know crap lol

clear wings makes it a spinner...

Attachments

• black_quill.jpg
    black_quill.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4
after going through a lot of info, Its not the black quill but a early B.W.O. FEMALE sorry, wings had me going and picture is tough to see.
black quill is in another week to 2 weeks yet..

Attachments

• picture_1682_large.jpg
    picture_1682_large.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 5
this is the male spinner, different from female;

Attachments

• picture_2671_large.jpg
    picture_2671_large.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 5
Well I guess your right. Thanks SF. Used to seeing the more greenish bodies to the baetis's.

Take better photos

SBecker wrote:
Well I guess your right. Thanks SF. Used to seeing the more greenish bodies to the baetis's.

Many maflies will darken up when they hit the spinner stage. A lot will turn a rust brown after they molt to the spinners. Hence "rusty" spinner. They also have a clear wing as Sandfly said, compared to a "dun" which has a blue/gray wing.

My first guess was BWO spinner, but I'm in no means in the same league as Sandfly in Entomology.

I concur. Not sure on the exact species, but Baetis genus fits best. Spinner. Part of the color confusion is that as anglers, we usually deal with duns in the Baetis genus, finding spinners is difficult.

What size was it? That'd lead to more confidence in the ID.

I would say size 18.

That leads to a little more confidence in the ID.....

Finding spinners is difficult because many of the Baetis Genus dive to the bottom and lay eggs on the stream bottom. But the spinners do work, I suppose the males drop on the water.

Back