Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Grey Fox - Maccaffertium Vicarium

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I think. Goin with maccaffertium genus, a little smaller and lighter than the MB's that were also present. I'll say maccaffertium mediopunctatum, cream cahill. Anyone have a better shot at it? Penns Creek, April 28. Size 14 or 16, not many of these.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/30 13:13

Edited by Maurice on 2012/4/30 21:14:56

Re: Cahill

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
This new forum has intrigued me to get better at my bug ID. I looked at this pic and said "March Brown, no contest" when I read your stream report, and now in this post you say cahill. I see why, but also remember Jonus' talk a few years back at the JAM and said that one pool may be March browns, and the next pool up may be Grey Foxes. All the same now. Would have guessed the size discrepancy would lead me to Grey fox. Anxious to see what everyone else says.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 14:22

From Whitehall, PA
You’re looking at the mythical Gray Fox, considered by the taxonomists to be a color variation of the March Brown. Good fishing when they’re hatching! Watch for them in and among the March Brown spinners. A little smaller and a little lighter body.

Jeff

Posted on: 2012/4/30 14:35

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Could be. There were tons of MB's, this was during the heart of their hatch, pics of one of them on another thread. Then this guy, very noticably smaller and lighter in color and stood out like a sore thumb amongst the other sailboats comng downstream. I grabbed him thinking he was an invaria, he looked so light colored in comparison. But then realized he wasn't what I thought he was, so I snapped a pic for later identification with the help of the board.

GF variety of MB makes sense, moreso than cahill. But all of the above are in the same genus, maccaffertium. So I mistook essentially a subspecies for a separate species in the same genus.

Mods feel free to change the title to gray fox, I'm more comfortable with that on review.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 18:23

From LV
Gray Fox. Pretty much matches this;

Attach file:

jpg  Gray Fox WB Perky 5 18 10.jpg (51.67 KB)
103_4f9f37db8fdba.jpg 641X397 px

Posted on: 2012/4/30 21:09

Re: Grey Fox - Maccaffertium Vicarium

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I pulled up maccaffertium mediopunctatum yesterday and there's A LOT of similarities visually to this fly. The mottling of the wing looks just a hair different, and maybe even body thickness. It is pretty darn close though.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 10:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com