Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Eastern Green Drake

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Most of the Hex hatch in Western Pa waters is on warm water fisheries. The major river systems seem to be pumping out the big bugs more and more in the last few years. Maybe they'll stretch to some trout streams, but I haven't really seen any yet.

The biggest bugs we get over here on a trout stream are the brown drakes. They come around the 3rd week of May and last about a week max. The stream in this area that gets them the most is the Neshannock. I don't have any great pictures or I'd post one. They're about 5/8" big.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 11:10

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Most of the Hex hatch in Western Pa waters is on warm water fisheries. The major river systems seem to be pumping out the big bugs more and more in the last few years. Maybe they'll stretch to some trout streams, but I haven't really seen any yet.

That's just not true. I've hit very fishable hex hatches on wild trout streams in western PA.

They aren't quite as impressive in numbers as they are on the larger, warmer, more fertile waters. But no hatch is. There's plenty enough to get the fish looking up.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 11:59

I've seen some hexes, but none fishable in the streams I typically fish. Was looking at a few streams you wrote me about today and am thinking of ditching work to go to one, then I map quested it and it's 2.5 hours.... not so close to home! So it may just be MY general area that I'm seeing them more on the larger rivers and very sporadic on some smaller streams.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 17:06

Yeah, but in your general area, to be fair, there are very few wild trout streams to begin with.

One problem with hex's is that, like Drakes, the hatch period is so short. If you're not really trying to time it up, the chances of stumbling on a hatch aren't real good. And even if you are trying to time it, your chances are still only fair without some historical notes from which to base your efforts.

Imagine trying to hit Drakes without historical knowledge of dates for that particular stream, fly shop updates, or word of mouth.

Seriously, think about it. Drakes and hex's may only last 2-3 days in a given location. With Drakes, we know it's late May/early June, bout a 3 week window. We know it starts on the lower part of the stream and works upstream over time. We know which streams go first. And you constantly have someone in your ear saying "hit em at ____ last night", and a fly shop with a big banner that says "coffin flies are at _____."

So once you have a basis for that year, you can kinda predict. Ok, they're here tonight, they'll be here tomorrow, and then here the day after that, etc. And for the real hatch chaser, you can probably work out a solid week or two of chasing them throughout the state with pretty good success.

But what do you have with hex's to go off of? No fly shops mention em. Heck, in that area, there's only 1 decent fly shop that does update stuff like that, and it's on Oil Creek, which isn't known for hex's at all. There's no known history that this stream goes before this one. The wild trout streams in that area are too small to consider the going upstream factor. Each location simply has a 2 or 3 day window where it's happening. You can guestimate within a few weeks when that will happen, but hitting the right day isn't a simple matter.

Luckily, it's a good time to fish those streams even without the hex hatch. If they show up, great!!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/30 17:16

Edited by pcray1231 on 2012/1/30 17:31:47

good points as usual Pat. There lack of "good" trout streams in this area are def a downside to hatch tracking. There's a nice wild stream here that PennKev is just dumbfounded on with the caddis. EVERY rock on the stream is covered in cases, but we just can't figure out when the hatch. Just a good example of a lack of information to help out those looking for specific hatches in a small demographic of trout streams.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 10:24

From LV
GD's were on quite heavy the night of Halliday's perfect game on Upper Pine. What a night!

Posted on: 2012/2/5 17:26

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
now chaz don't give it away totally...lol

Posted on: 2012/2/6 6:31

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

pcray,

I'm guessing this is a hex (pic is from my porch in pittsburgh). Can you confirm from photo?

Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0936.JPG (135.51 KB)
5488_4f3171e4f27d0.jpg 1141X745 px

Posted on: 2012/2/7 13:48

Yeah, I'm fairly sure. Can't count tails from the pic, could be a yellow drake. But it strikes me more as hex and by location, it also makes more sense.

Put it up in the hex thread.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 22:47

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
good points as usual Pat. There lack of "good" trout streams in this area are def a downside to hatch tracking. There's a nice wild stream here that PennKev is just dumbfounded on with the caddis. EVERY rock on the stream is covered in cases, but we just can't figure out when the hatch. Just a good example of a lack of information to help out those looking for specific hatches in a small demographic of trout streams.

October caddis. They hatch at night in the fall.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 5:58

Can someone give me a measurement of the Drakes from Penns. I think my extended body flies are a bit too big, and I think there's a good chance we'll see them at the JAM this year.

By my estimates, they're almost right on the money at 2cm from the pics?

Posted on: 2012/4/17 12:33

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
Can someone give me a measurement of the Drakes from Penns. I think my extended body flies are a bit too big, and I think there's a good chance we'll see them at the JAM this year.

By my estimates, they're almost right on the money at 2cm from the pics?

Ryan - My records show them to be from 2 to 3 cm in body length.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 7:50

I was speaking with Old Lefty at the JAM about my newly invented Green Drake nymph pattern and he asked why I put a white stripe down the back because they didn't have one.

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/899

Is this mislabeled on troutnut, or are the Easterns different?

Posted on: 2012/5/22 11:40

You're not only in the wrong genus there, but wrong family!

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/494/May ... era-guttulata-Green-Drake

There are no nymph pics on troutnut. You can go to the brown drake page and see a much more closely related nymph, like this guy:

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/91

Or here's a true GD nymph:

http://www.njflyfishing.com/photopost ... 8DSC_0204_-_Guttulata.jpg

Posted on: 2012/5/22 12:37

I don't do the latin stuff. Just hit the "common name" link on troutnut and went to Green Drake.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 14:24

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com