Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Crane Fly larva

From LV
Here's a pic of the dry I use in a #18. Caught trout in 14 states with it.

Attach file:

jpg  Chaz_Crane_Fly.JPG (144.50 KB)
103_4f4aeb07718e3.jpg 790X651 px

Posted on: 2012/2/26 21:31

Chaz,

Nice pattern looks like the one that use to be posted on the LLFS website.

How do you fish a dry crane fly? Do you blind cast it to areas you know fish are looking up in? I never see fish on the LL regularly rising to crane flies on top but then again they are most active when 6 other bugs are hatching so it's always hard to tell what they are "looking" for.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 21:38

From LV
Yes you do, you just don't know you do. I fish it to rising trout, especially if they are splashy rises. Sometime tie on an Al's Rat as a dropper, it's deadly fished that way. Been using the pattern since before the the shop was there. Over twenty years, it appeared in one of the first issues of Mid-Atlantic FF Magazine, in an article by Charley Meck.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 9:00

From chester ct
It's a given that the aquatic form (just before emergence) of bugs will be smaller than the emerged specimen, at least from the standpoint of mass. In general, the mayflies, chironomids, caddis and stonies don't eat once they come out, and then there's the exoskeleton shuck they left behind. To me a size 16 emerger will translate into an 18 once emerged.

But the cranes, at least locally here in Chester County, are the most astounding for size disparity. The VFTU runs a fly fishing school and we often collect a mess of bugs and put them in a dishpan for the students to observe. Cranefly larvae are sometimes 60mm or more in those collections.

One of the members was hatching various bugs in an aquarium, and saw that those giant larvae hatched into size 18s.

tl
les

Posted on: 2012/2/28 15:28

From Bozeman
Littlelehigh,

I fish them like a Caddis. Mostly dead drifted, but also twitched and swung. A down and across cast with a cross current swing has also been killer.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 15:37

From collegeville, pa
good info on the larva lestrout....answers my original question

thanks

Posted on: 2012/3/4 8:33

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
There was a table at the Cabin Fever show this weekend that had a fish tank with nymphs in it to help people ID them. However the guys at the booth didn't know their stuff. Mistook a crane fly larvae for a helgramite. They also didn't know what an instar was. I'm sure people learned some things about nymphs, but thought it was unfortunate that the people heading it up weren't as versed as they should have been.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 10:16

From Portage, PA
call those guys doodle bugs in slackjaw country. LOL

Posted on: 2012/3/30 8:07

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com