Caddis Time!

V

Van_Cleaver

Though I spend most of my time fishing down, I was pleased to check a local stream today and find plenty of rising targets. There were at least three kinds of caddis (Tan, Black, and Gray 14-16)) and some midges as well. During an extended lunch break (don't tell my spouse) I rose probably twenty or so, and brought about half to hand. They were just stockers, but all browns and feisty, and less than ten min. from my new residence. Though they have been bombarded, the spin guys aren't doing much, and the last stocking was three weeks prior. In my defense, I did get a lot of painting done as well.

Nice to have agreeable trouts near your residence stocked or otherwise. Your post makes me think I should go check out my local ditch again now that opening day is in the rearview. I'm supposed to be staining a fence so I'm in the same boat as you. My neighbor always says, "it'll still be there tomorrow".

Thanks for the motivation.

I had a similar experience the other day with some stocked browns in a seasonal stream, but it was with emergers. Although not quite the numbers you had. Stocked brown trout will get pretty wild in nature, relatively fast in any half decent creek. Seems like even more so after they've been pressured a little bit. Rainbows on the other hand just kind of pod up and swim around in circles, all confused and stressed out.

Yo Va

Enjoyed your report, but I'm sure you enjoyed your experience even more. Actually, since the stockies I ffish for are pretty molested in the places I ffish, I find the ones that rise fussier than the wilds. In a way, the wild trouts are more honest - when they hit, they inhale rather than mouth the fly, spit on it, nose it and maybe blow smoke rings. Some of this might be the wilds are less molested where I do my thang.

P.S. - I like'em fussy rather than easy.

Van_Cleaver wrote:
Though I spend most of my time fishing down, I was pleased to check a local stream today and find plenty of rising targets. There were at least three kinds of caddis (Tan, Black, and Gray 14-16)) and some midges as well. During an extended lunch break (don't tell my spouse) I rose probably twenty or so, and brought about half to hand. They were just stockers, but all browns and feisty, and less than ten min. from my new residence. Though they have been bombarded, the spin guys aren't doing much, and the last stocking was three weeks prior. In my defense, I did get a lot of painting done as well.

Isn't fly casting an important therapy to avoid painters wrist? That would be my excuse. Good to hear you had a successful lunch break.

The interesting thing about the trout (other than them all being browns) were that a lot of them were also taking emergers, and I was just lazy enough not to tie on a dropper since I was getting plenty of clean rises. They were just fussy enough to make it interesting, and I switched flies maybe five times. They were super drift sensitive, and it was tricky since it was a long, slow pool. As for pressure, this run was right on a park road with a well groomed walking trail on the opposite side. If I had to guess I'd say it was likely one of the most heavily fished spots on this stream. It was a great break though, and I went back and painted with renewed vigor. Now off to vote, so I can paint some more!

Back