Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Big Stoneflies in September

Has anyone else been seeing big stoneflies lately?

Yesterday I fished a small tributary to Cedar Run. At a bridge on Cedar Run I was a bunch of big clumsy insects flying around, grabbed one, and it was a big adult stonefly, which looked very much like the Perlid stoneflies that you commonly see around the beginning of June. About an 1 1/4 inches long (rough estimate), with yellow bodies.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 12:33

Re: Big Stoneflies in September
From Dallastown, PA
I always thought they hatched all summer into fall anyway. Are they the goldens or the ones with the red ring around their neck?

Posted on: 2012/9/10 18:46

It looked like a golden stone to me. I didn't look at it real long, but looking at the underside, the whole body was yellow.

Come to think of it, I have seen a few here and there through the summer months.

But these were flying around in substantial numbers. If trout are really seeing big yellow stoneflies from about late May right into fall, maybe that explains why a big yellow Stimulator is such a killer pattern when the water is up.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 20:04

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
It looked like a golden stone to me. I didn't look at it real long, but looking at the underside, the whole body was yellow.

Come to think of it, I have seen a few here and there through the summer months.

But these were flying around in substantial numbers. If trout are really seeing big yellow stoneflies from about late May right into fall, maybe that explains why a big yellow Stimulator is such a killer pattern when the water is up.

I don't recall seeing them flying about in the late summer/early fall but it's not uncommon to see the fresh shucks clinging to streamside and midstream rocks, so I know they are around.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 6:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com