Any ideas what might have been hatching?

N

nomad_archer

This morning 6/6 I was fishing a low gradient spring influenced freestone stream in northern lancaster co. I use freestone loosely as the impacts of ag are apparent.

I arrived around 5:30 am the water temp was 64-65* and the fish were making big splashy rises all morning until I left at 8. I couldn't figure out what was hatching this early. I saw very small white insects fly on occasion and assume that's what they were feeding on. But I have no idea what they might be. Any ideas?

I did catch several on a size 20 PT variant.

When I returned to my truck I did find a lone caddis on the tailgate.

Recently mid day through the evening I have had good luck on this stretch with various caddis and comparadun patterns in the #14-16 sizes. Neither was working this morning.

I am kind of lost on what they might have been feeding on.

The coves at Wallenpaupack were whitish with some sort of caddis and also something that hoovers that looks similar to sulphers. I don't really know what it was but the water was solid brownish tan. There was also a large Black Caddis looking insect that had a slightly longer heat and thorax.

Splashy rises might suggest emerging caddis flies. Did you try swinging some sort of emerger pattern?

A Partridge and Green, a Leadwing Coachman and a Hare's Ear Flymph are all flies I would have tried.

I'd agree with the midges as well. I think it's too early in the summer for tricos and the light colored bugs you saw may have been midge adults.

Dave_W wrote:
I think it's too early in the summer for tricos and the light colored bugs you saw may have been midge adults.

The light colored bugs may well have been midges (and probably were) but the rises to midges are not splashy.

After spending some time reading an article by Tom Rosenbauer refreshing my memory about trout rise forms. The water the fish were in was fairly deep at 3+ feet and the article mentioned that splashy rises could be attributed fish rising from depth to take a bug.

I think midges may be correct. While I catch some trout on caddis patterns, for the last month I've watched fish rise reliably to something small and unknown at all hours. I'll have to tie some midge emergers and see what happens. The midges may also explain wht the small #18 or 20 pt worked today.

Here is the article if anyone is interested.
https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/understanding-trout-rise-forms/152245

In the morning, they may have been rising to spinners, left over from ovipositing at night. Unless you were in the riffle where they were ovipositing, you would not see any in the air. Were swallows or birds working? I would start with a #14 or even 12 (or 10 is Isos are in the stream) Rusty, and maybe also a 20 or 18. Cream or yellow spinners could also be good. The other possibility is Lanternfly nymphs, for areas where there are trees by the banks. Trouts tend to hit those aggressively for some reason.

Lestrout, I never though about the lanternfly nymphs. Those little buggers recently showed up. The stream has heavy tree cover and all of the rising fish have been downstream of overhanging limbs.

I'm going to have to tie some small beetles that may look the part and see how it goes.

These are the sorts of mysteries and head-scratching challenges that make FFing so fascinating for us (says captain obvious) - good stuff.

Nomad,
I'd suggest returning to that spot soon, if possible. Take some time to just sit and watch the stream for awhile. Don't bother fishing. Look in the vegetation along the stream for evidence of insects. Check spider webs, and especially take some time to just observe the water surface. Often, stream and river surfaces contain a myriad of little morsels, many of them shucked cases of nymphs that hatched during the night. You might find evidence of midge activity if you just watch the surface (in the colder months of the year, adult midges are attracted to automobiles due to their warm surface). You might also see some tiny terrestrials too. Many terrestrials are on the small side this time of year and often present in greater numbers in these tiny sizes.
It's fascinating! :)

Keep us informed of what you're seeing.

Dave_W wrote:
These are the sorts of mysteries and head-scratching challenges that make FFing so fascinating for us (says captain obvious) - good stuff.

Nomad,
I'd suggest returning to that spot soon, if possible. Take some time to just sit and watch the stream for awhile. Don't bother fishing. Look in the vegetation along the stream for evidence of insects. Check spider webs, and especially take some time to just observe the water surface. Often, stream and river surfaces contain a myriad of little morsels, many of them shucked cases of nymphs that hatched during the night. You might find evidence of midge activity if you just watch the surface (in the colder months of the year, adult midges are attracted to automobiles due to their warm surface). You might also see some tiny terrestrials too. Many terrestrials are on the small side this time of year and often present in greater numbers in these tiny sizes.

Also a good reason to carry some sort of seine. Many times one of those fine seine nets that attach to a regular landing net saved the day for me identifying such mysteries.

Dave_W wrote:

Nomad,

Before I started to sell Flowerbulbs, at 40, I had spent my entire career in tree care. My specialty within tree care was Insect and Disease Control for Woody Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. I find these strings to be intriguing and educational. Although I don't learn as fast as I used to, I benefit greatly from following them. Thanks for the posts.

tabasco_joe wrote:

Also a good reason to carry some sort of seine. Many times one of those fine seine nets that attach to a regular landing net saved the day for me identifying such mysteries.

Absolutely, my old landing net was fantastic and did double duty as a make shift seine. Saved my butt a few times when I couldn't figure out the nymph of the day while I was learning. Sadly that landing net met and untimely demise when I broke it in half last year... I need to get back to carrying something that can work as a seine as I go deeper and deeper into learning to fish dries.

Dave_W wrote:

Nomad,

This is a great reminder to slow down and observe. Something I haven't been doing as much of recently as I'm happy to get out on the water. I tried the ants without success this last time out but tis the season for them. I will be back in that spot this week probably in the evening armed with some small modified beetles (to look like lanterfly nymphs) and midge emergers. I'll report back on what I find.

I drove by where I think you were. Unfortunately my wife had to take me to work. She would not drive slowly enough for me to see rise forms! :)

nomad_archer wrote:
tabasco_joe wrote:

Absolutely, my old landing net was fantastic and did double duty as a make shift seine. Saved my butt a few times when I couldn't figure out the nymph of the day while I was learning. Sadly that landing net met and untimely demise when I broke it in half last year... I need to get back to carrying something that can work as a seine as I go deeper and deeper into learning to fish dries.

Only down side is that you might spend a lot of time on the water looking at insects instead of fishing. After decades I still get fascinated with aquatic life forms.

Factoring in where you were, time of day, and type of rise forms I would guess either tiny black caddis or some type of cranefly. Black caddis can be tricky to spot unless you're right on top of them, and craneflies like to skitter across the surface, which also makes them hard to see but explains the splashy rises. Just my 2 cents...

Coffin Flies. Yellow and Orange Sulphurs, Brown Drakes, Dark Stones with a creamy yellow under, Big, small yellow stones, some grey caddis Brown Rusty Spinners and a lot of small 20's.

That be hatch chart via Maxima12 eyes. 6-5-21.Can not fish for a week now, 70 dozen leader order was placed!

Yeah baby, i sure do love my Pa. friends. Pa. has what the rest could only hope for. "BROTHERHOOD".

CodorusTUTom wrote:
Factoring in where you were, time of day, and type of rise forms I would guess either tiny black caddis or some type of cranefly. Black caddis can be tricky to spot unless you're right on top of them, and craneflies like to skitter across the surface, which also makes them hard to see but explains the splashy rises. Just my 2 cents...
This ^^^^^

If you fish a smaller black beetle, you can half-*** cover the little black caddis and the possibility of Spotted Lantenfly nymphs at the same time, and a Griffith's Gnat in smaller and larger sizes will cover the rest.

Back