winter stream jackets

J

jersey_guy

as i sit here reading threads while working the night shift at a local hospital, i begin to start thinking about the future. i am in the market for a new winter stream jacket. i have looked at the online websites like cabelas, orvis and bean but am interested in hearing if anyone has insight on thos topic and what jackets they have used in the past or are currently using. i believe i am fancying the type that has the "vest idea" incorperated, being it has large pockets for "things." any advice guys???

i guess i am hoping it will be a cold winter!

mark

Hi, Mark!
For my own opinion, I've been wearing a Hodgman's #T230 "Wadelite" jacket, for all my winter and rainy weather fishing, for about 3 years now. VERY warm, VERY breathable and put together with the fisherman, (obviously), in mind. A lot of great features, in this jacket! Check it out, if you'd like to, on their website. :)

i have taken a look at the wading jackets but i didnt know they were lined. i thought of them more as a "windbreaker" type of jacket with tight cuffs. ya know i didnt even think to look at hodgeman. i really do enjoy their waders!!

mark

I just layer the heck out of my clothing and put the same wading jacket over that.

I do the same as tomgambler, and layer under my wading jacket.

I do a lot of winter fishing and I subscribe to the layering approach. I don't use the intergated vest approach because I don't want all that stuff hanging fro me while driving. If I drive to a spot and then change jackets I get cold real fast and sometimes never quite get back to warm. I also tend to get a lot of fly floatant/sink on me and I don't want that stuff all over the inside of my truck. Layering allows me to adjust to conditions.

Start with a good Gortex or other waterproof breathable shell. I have a Cabelas Dry Plus flyfishing jacket one size larger than normal. I use polarfleece sweatshirts as under layers and polypropylene underwear. Don't forget fingerless gloves.

Layering is absolutelly KEY while fishing, at least as far as I'm concerned. If you layer properly, you will be comfortable while you're on the water. There are lots of good options out there. Hodgeman makes some nice products, Reddington makes some nice stuff too. So does Cabelas.

To answer your question, I have a lightweight jacket that I use for spring/fall that fits easily into my pack. It's a Cloudveil Zorro that I picked up on Sierra Trading Post a while back. Got a great deal on this jacket. It's very lightweight, breathable and durable too. Under that I'll go with a fleece layer and then my base layers. If you want one jacket that you can use year round this one is good. Although it does not have the vest options you're looking for, it fits perfectly in a hip pack or backpack without taking up too much room.

As a gift, I recieved an Orvis Tailwaters Jacket that is ideal for cold temps. Big pockets for fly boxes, a couple of d-rings, lined pockets for hand warming and neoprene cuffs. Pricy, but it works extremely well and it's something I'll have for a very long itme.

LL Bean has a couple of jackets that I'd be interested in seeing as well. It's very hard, if not impossible, to beat their customer service if your purchase fails or is unsatisfactory.

If you're gong to go the layering route, keep in mind that this weekend EMS has a 20% off sale.

Back