why all the hate?

B

brookie

It seems that on fly fishing forums people always seem to say bad things about orvis and how they are the evil empire and stuff like that. Why is is this, is there something about them that I dont know about? Im pretty sure that most of their fly rods are made in the usa right? isnt that a good thing? seems thats what a lot of the die hard fly anglers want right?

I don't hate em.

Ironically, when I went to click this link, I hovered over the topic below it. The tooltip that pops up and has the first line of the last post in that thread started as follows: "Orvis has some quality..."

For what it's worth.

I have heard some comments about Orvis as an "evil empire" but by no means is that a universal sentiment. I think their stuff is typically of appropriate quality for the price. They have always treated me well on customer service issues. I don't buy high-end items from them or anyone else, but if I hit the lottery, I already have plans to replace my equipment with some of the better items from the Orvis catalogue. Then anglers can snicker at me behind my back saying I just stepped out of an Orvis catalogue-- and they'll be absolutely correct. One item I really covet is the CFO reel.

It's not really hate, it's jealousy. That always comes with success.

Ya may get the same reaction if ya mention Microsoft, the NY Yankees,
Wal-Mart, Warren Buffet, and on and on.

I agree with Mark, except with regard to the Yankees-- that is pure hate.

I've been dealing with Orvis for many years. All that time I've never had that many problems with their gear, when I did they took good care of me.

PaulG

America loves an underdog, until it wins. Then we turn on it, slander it and run it out of town.

Except for Walmart. They are evil.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/25/walmart.insurance.battle/

I buy all kinds of stuff from orvis, mainly because I'm newer to the sport and it seemed like the best way to go.
1. reel
2 waders
3. wading boots
4. strike indicators...
5. tippet
6. net
7. line and backing
8. gravel guards
9. a couple tying materials

Maybe a few more things, but anyway, yeah I shop at orvis.

I don't like Orvis personally because to me its city slicker gear. But I do own some of their products mainly for the warantees.

I like the orvis song!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p79T4fUBtg

When I first started fly fishing I was kind of against orvis, because I thought their stuff was a bit steep. Then I tried their stuff and now I buy a decent amount of stuff from them, but only if it's on sale or something. It's definitely worth the price.

People joke around a lot about Orvis (which is not exactly the same as hate.)

The reason people enjoy joking around about Orvis: ----
DOG BEDS!

The local Orvis store has been great to us. They special order us stuff, even small speciality items when we need them and we get a 15% TU discount. Right now if you're looking for wader's with a 36" inseam, size large, with a size 13 stocking foot for a 6'4" teen that lives in water the PG3 waders fit and have a good reputation for lasting. You can't get Simms in talls or many others. Hey I say buy what suits you and won't get you divorced. I have a friend that just bought a Helios and he loves it! I'd probably shut it in a car door.

I fish with an old Fenwick, my son has a sage and a G. Loomis. We both love our Korkers. We shop TCO at State College, Dick Ackourey's (more often if closer) and Gander here at home. (You can always find something at Gander.) For mail order if you can't make the drive Cabelas has treated us awesome as well. AND if you in the Nicholson area on rt 92 stop and see Ron at Rons flies. We still stop by even if we don't need anything.

Also I hate Walmart too! Just a scary place but I go there too if Im absolutely pressed to.

I say support who treats you right.

Instead of beating on Orvis maybe a review of some of our favorite shops and why we like them. I'm always up for shopping somewhere new. It would come in handy if I'm not fishing on familar waters.

seems like not everybody hates orvis after all lol. Ive heard orvis been called for city slickers too a couple of times as well as snobby and other similar terms. why is this, manchester is pretty far from a city, its probably more like volant pa than a city lol. As far as being snobby, I would think that the mega priced stuff like sage, hardy, and the others would be the ones classified as snobby becuase I think orvis is a little cheaper overall than those brands right?

Orvis is the "white-collar" outfitter. Most of this "city slicker" mentality is from those who think if you haven't milked a cow or chopped wood to keep warm rather than create ambience, you aren't entitled to be an outdoorsman. That's my take anyway. :-?

Orvis has been good to me, worked for them..and there stuff is good too. I think they are better than loomis and sage with the rods.. some things seem a little high but remember they have always sold to the elight..remeber back in the day only the rich could afford to fly fish or wingshoot..The rest of us common folks shot or fish for food not sport..L.L.Bean was the common mans place to get or Percy's Flie's...So its imprinted in some peoples heads that Orvis is the Devil...

Many equate Orvis with the rather recent advent of big-box stores dominating retailing. I find it hard to believe that some people have disdain for an American Company that has been in business selling fly-fishing and outdoor gear for over 150 years. A company-owned Orvis store is right in my neighborhood, and I buy some stuff from them, mostly when I find a sale. IMO, they have some good stuff and not so good stuff, and tend to be overpriced on some of their merchandise, but most FF stuff is overpriced.

The one thing about Orvis is that many independent fly shops carry Orvis brand merchandise and sell it for the same price as Orvis does, unlike Cabela’s or Bass Pro shops which directly compete with the fly shops with their proprietary store brands as well as selling all name-brand merchandise.

I try to buy good stuff that will perform well and last a long time, and I try to buy it for best price possible. I’ve found from experience that buying decent stuff that performs well, lasts, and has a good warranty that is backed up by the retailer, is in the long run the most economical. Also, with that being said, the highest priced stuff is not always the best stuff. Sometimes Orvis stuff fits the bill, sometimes not.

I suppose someone driving a Lexus or BMW would cause some people to have the same reaction. I really don’t care what other people drive, or what brand of FF stuff they use, but I am sometimes puzzled by why people care about such things. BTW, for those that do care, I drive a Toyota truck (I also have a ’90 Chevy pick-up in my driveway) fish mostly Sage rods, and have an Orvis vest pack and waders– they perform well, last a long time, are backed up by the manufacturer, and I got them for the best price possible.

I thought about quitting my job and buying a business in a very rural part of PA that was for sale. She said that I was too much of a city slicker to last more than a month in such a place. I retorted that I could fish more often. She replied that I would go nutz with out good specialty food stores and a bar that carried more than two micro brews. She is right; I could not see myself living in a place that did not have a Hotdog joint, Thai, Indian, and a kick butt beer distributor than 15 min from the house. I mean I drink and eat more than I fish.

How does one determine if a person is a city slicker when on the stream? I rarely carry Pad Thai when on the stream or any take out for that matter. Maybe my waders smell like curry? No, that is just my own funk. Hummmm, maybe people are glassing me to see what type of rod I am holding? Maybe it was the time I had Gino’s Pizza deliver a Pizza to the Delayed Harvest section of the Loyalhanna?

Now I am going to be extremely self conscience when I am fishing those wild trout streams in the ANF. Please tell use how the miscreants look so that I may a least avoid looking like one. Maybe they are clean shaven ????

;-) ;-) :pint:

Bruno if you'd just stop asking if "Yinz caitchin' any trot N'at?" they wouldn't look at you so funny...

I almost guarantee I could pick out a city slicker by just looking at them so I won't need to smell ya. I went to the Prudential building in Boston and in the observation tower they have a game to pick out the foreign people and the United States citizens and I aced the test. My friend was amazed but I guess thats just how redneck I am.

Come to think of it I own 2 Orvis products. I bought an Orvis vest because it was the closest thing to my old vest and I have Orvis boots mainly for the warantee. I've returned them several times and everytime I get a new pair without question. Their other products just don't impress me and I can usually find stuff that suits my needs better offered from other companies. I'm not brand loyal to any company though. Each company has their stand out products and I go for what suits my fishing needs for the best possible price.

Back