HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: wet fly 2 dropper leader----- fish 3 flies

From Bozeman
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

My furled leader butt accomplishes the same thing as your amnsia Jay.

Yeah, it just took me a few minutes to realize it. No coffee yet. Cut me a break!

How long is your typical furled leader for nymphing? You gave me a couple but said they were longer than normal. I am going to tie a few.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 11:08

From Delaware Co.
Jay the thingabober works great on the furled leader . I use it in when I have alot lead on my leader .

Don't anger old man TWEED about his leader... He gets sensitive about it

Posted on: 2009/12/31 11:37

From Lehigh Valley
lately i've been using a short quickly tapered leader down to 4x then one of those mini-rings - then tie straight 5x or 6x for the rest of the leader. having a mostly thin leader helps get the fly down i feel...and the miniring lets me preserve the tapered section for a long time. Can't use it for dries though - but i don't care about that especially this time of year.

However i can't say that my success has improved - in fact i'm going through a bit of a slow period that i'm just gonna blame on all the high water conditions (cause that's easier than admitting i am doing something wrong lol)

Posted on: 2009/12/31 12:25

From philadelphia
anybody have a link to the original posters bay?i might want to try one.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 12:54

From Chester County
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

My furled leader butt accomplishes the same thing as your amnsia Jay.

Yeah, it just took me a few minutes to realize it. No coffee yet. Cut me a break!

How long is your typical furled leader for nymphing? You gave me a couple but said they were longer than normal. I am going to tie a few.

Jay,

The furled leader I gave you was 6' long. I didn't have any shorter ones to give you on the stream that day. That leader butt was built for a finished 12-14' dry fly leader. Typically, I build my furled leaders about 1/2 the rod length: 9' rod = 4.5' leader, 8' = 4' ,etc. I build the longer butts for making longer leaders in low water situations. These long leaders also work well for French nymphing.

Brownliner/Fred,

I find a Thingamabobber works well right on the tippet using a toothpick to stop it from moving. I like to nymph with all tippet in the water to avoid drag. BTW, a Thingamabobber will cut right through thin line when looped around.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 13:59

From Delaware Co.
ALL HAIL THE POWERS OF TWEED'S MONO FURLED LEADER SYSTEM

Posted on: 2009/12/31 14:29

maxima ,

what is your nymph rig in tippet sizes or lb test in lenghts too for a 1 fly set up ? my theory was a thicker line diameter leader up toward the flyline which is riding near the surface , which is where most of the drag is obtained , would have more surface area for the water to push against , thus speeding up the offering below that line , but i am probably wrong , just hate to try to fix something thats not broke thats all

Posted on: 2009/12/31 20:18

Quote:

jayL wrote:
Max,

Many great fishermen recommend using flat, thin leaders for nymphing. The idea is that they sink uniformly. In a tapered leader, the only part that sinks properly is the tippet. The greater butt diameter will sink more slowly, and will also incur more drag. These all factor in to drag and lack of contact with the flies.

He actually said "wet fly" not nymph (unless he edited it before I came across the thread.) With traditional wets, you're not necessarily trying to get them to sink all that far; the top six inches of water is more like it. (Think more emerger than bottom dredger.)

The old-school set up for wet flies is indeed to use a short section of stiff leader material (gut, back in the day) to hold the two top droppers out from the leader. (Notice that "dropper" in this sense means any fly not at the end the leader, not a fly "dropped" behind a dry fly.) The stiffer material help keep the dropper from wrapping itself around the main leader.

Wet fly leaders are a whole different ballgame than nymph leaders.

Posted on: 2010/1/3 16:44

hey red ,

at the end of his post it says "perfect for nymphing " when he speaks of the leaders he talks about in the begining of his post , most here know the difference between emergers , wets , nymphs and drys , just wanted clarify why i thought he meant it was a nymph rig , maybe i am wrong though

Posted on: 2010/1/3 20:32

stiff mono tied to keep the flys away from the main leader is not the way i would do it , makes the presentation look un natuaral as far as i am concerned , soft subtle leaders in say 5x or 6x are what i use to seperate flys for a more natural looking fly in the drift , but each to there own

Posted on: 2010/1/3 20:35

Quote:

troutslammer wrote:
stiff mono tied to keep the flys away from the main leader is not the way i would do it , makes the presentation look un natuaral as far as i am concerned , soft subtle leaders in say 5x or 6x are what i use to seperate flys for a more natural looking fly in the drift , but each to there own

It's not the way I do it either (I tie hook bend to eye) but it's the way it's been done for at least the last five hundred years, and probably the way it's been done for the last several thousand. And if you want to bounce the top dropper (the "bob" or "hand fly" as they say in the British Isles) having the fly well away from the leader means that you can hoover the fly without the bit of tippet attached to the fly touching the water at all. It's harder to do with an in-line rig.

I fish wet flies almost exclusively, and can describe half a dozen or more ways to assemble a multi-fly rig that somebody or another thinks is perfect, and can give a reasonable explanation of why it's perfect. (Nothing's perfect as far as I'm concerned.) The setup he described is both reasonable and very traditional. And he's correct that the stiffness of the dropper tippet is important if you're going that route.

And as to whether the original actually meant wets or nymphs, I don't have clue; I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Posted on: 2010/1/3 22:38

From Bozeman
Quote:

redietz wrote:
And as to whether the original actually meant wets or nymphs, I don't have clue; I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

How about giving me the same benefit?

As troutslammer pointed out, he recommended it for nymphing.

Posted on: 2010/1/3 22:44

Quote:

jayL wrote:

How about giving me the same benefit?

Actually, I wrote that to say that you could very will be right. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, just offer an alternative view of the post. He also recommended it for wets in the title. Who knows?

To be very clear, I didn't mean to imply that there was anyone who replied to this thread that doesn't know they were talking about. Newbies following the thread might want to know that minus the final paragraph, the original post makes sense.

Posted on: 2010/1/4 1:34

From picture rocks pa 17762
would like to clarify nymphing. these leaders can be used to fish 3 nymphs, or a combination nymph, wets. a nice weighted stone on point and wets on drops. not intended to offend the true nymphers with their set ups. light tippet highly recommended to reduce drag. maybe i should have not stated perfect for nymphing. thanks guys. very nice to read your responses. maxima.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 16:19

From Bozeman
maxima,

I have been meaning to try wets with heavy nymphs to get them down. I will give that a shot.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 16:26

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com