M

maxima12

using mason hard type nylon'

24 inches .018
18 inches .015
12 inches .012
21 inches .010 9 inch tag left when attaching tjis piece to tip,
24 inches .010 or .009

again mason has a higher dia. .010 is 4 lb. .009 is 3 lb.

i like the stiff material for wet fly fishing.

when i use the material with smaller dia and not as stiff, i call these tandem leaders. simply because, i don't like tying the trailer on the bend of the hook. i like the drop and usually a small nymoh or emerger. can be weighted.

these leaders can be tied down to 7x if you wish. generally 6x is a far down as i go.

let me clarify. a dry on the drop and a sinking pattern on the tip (point).

maxima

p s any ideas out there.

max ,

do you feel that fishing a dropper off the tag end is better than a tandem tie off the hook bend ? i guess some will say that the fish will sometimes hit the first fly and even feel the trailer line before hitting it , maybe the tag dropper would present a more natural looking drift , but i am haveing trouble here bud with the hard nylon line tied to a small nymph or emerger , just seems as if this would make an unnatural looking drift , help me out here guy

thanks
TS

I do agree that tying droppers is better than tying in at the bend. Tying a dropper off the eye is better than tying off the bend, but not as good as a dropper from a blood knot.

I also tie loop droppers and connect flies and tippet with a loop to loop. This way they can be changed without taking other flies off.

I only do those rigs before I start fishing. If I break one off, odds are I will do droppers off the eye.

Dear troutslammer,

Don't sweat the stiffer leader material, "stiff" is a relative term and it's not like you are using single strand piano wire.

I like Maxima Chameleon for my entire leader, even for dry fly fishing, because of it's abrasion resistance and how well it ties in knots. You never get those annoying curlie-Q's when you cinch up a knot tied with Maxima. Unfortunately, it is getting harder to find so I'll use just about anything with Orvis SS being my current preference.

I tie long tags ends on leaders to use as droppers sometimes but I find that I often wind up switching to a single fly and cutting the tags off. Consequently I tie to the bend of the lead hook most often, though with a hand tied knotted leader you can easily clinch knot a section of dropper to the leader above a blood knot, and remove it just as easily.

A tippet ring might be the best answer, but I haven't tried them myself so I cannot say?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

hey tim murphy i got all the maxima you could ever imagine.. let me ty your leaders. let's just say i am ample to help you. got a formula. you might not want to give it up. maybe just a starter to get me hot. i will make you some leaders.

johnfave@hotmail.com

i am the master builder. i just might be the last of this century. i am getting older, but wiser. what better place to blow my horn.

maxuma

max, do you use a tool or board to tie your blood knots? I'm pretty good at tying them, but every now and then they won't seat properly. I figured if anyone has any tricks to tie them more effectively, it would be you.

i may play with the tag off dropper and hook eye dropper this year instead of the old off the bend dropper . i understand the theory behind the stiff line off the leader to make the fly stand out and away from the leader but just keep thinking un natural drift but i am gonna try it

the stiff line is what i like you do not have to like it. it is the theory that you should like. that is why fishermen trust in me. i have theory, knowledge and expertise.

maxima

hook eye dropper is a farse. you know all try to have a different stroke. diff stroke for diff. folk. grand funk-to get back in, to get back in. get back in. why overload. fishing really is simple. you can do all that srazy stuff, while i am fishing.

maxima

Dear maxima,

I have no idea who you are but before I start accepting freebies from you I'd like to put a face together with a screen name.

I like your style though, you rolled in, blew some stuff up, and sat back waiting for the smoke to clear. When it cleared sufficient for you to see you blew more stuff up. We need more folks like you here.

I spend a fair amount of time in Lycoming County and all of my bud's from up that way are from Hughesville, or Muncy, or Pennsdale, or even, yes I've heard of it, Picture Rocks.

Maybe once Spring rolls around we can actually meet?

If that won't work for you there is always the PM feature.

Take care,

Tim Murphy :)

If Maxima is in fact John Fave I can back up his claims. I used to sell his leaders years ago. Back then half of the flyshop labled leaders in this state were tied by John. It's getting hard to find good hand tied leaders give him a shot.

wetwade

Maxima is in fact John Fave. He's the real deal -- an old school "modern warrior." There are a few of 'em left in the northern tier who still speak the native langauge "shang dil' dang." Here is the translation for "shang" (and this could happen with John any day of the week) -- left before daybreak to hunt muzzle loader then fish a midge hatch in the afternoon. Stopped in a bar on the way home, met a few cool guys who were going coon huntin'. Asked me to join 'em, we hunted all night and had a great time. Raised our shot glasses to the sun god at first light then parted ways. I then ran into a guy running a trap line, said he was going grouse hunting. We talked some more and before you know it, he loaned me a shot gun -- awesome guy, good setter, great hunt. After that, I stopped off at the lake to see if anyone was ice fishing. Man, you should have been there (Oh yeah, I forgot your wife still hates me) the crappie were hitting really good between midnight and 2:30 a.m. I got home three days after I left. Anybody want to drive three hours for breakfast? I know a great spot on the way to Erie. Long story short -- pack a lunch.

Dear mtnbum,

Thanks for the explanation, that only makes me want to actually meet John even more. I can do without the hunting stuff for no other reason other than it doesn't appeal to me, but I'll keep a seat open for him at the bar while he's gone.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

thank you for the nice comments. i do like to blow a cloud of smoke, then step back let the ashes settle. one thing i am good at is getting your attention. seems i have always raised an eyebrow. lot's have asked me to change my ways. i replied "i've changed by not changeing at all". want to wish you the best. i am lucky indeed to have friends like all of you. if the good lord takes me tonight, i welcome it with open arms. i have lived in the day of man. this site is no doubt where a handshake still seals the deal and a hello means let's go fishing.

your friend. maxima

Back