wading staff

JoeE

JoeE

Any of you use a wading staff? I have been thinking about building myself one then after seeing this one I'm sold. What do you think?

Joe E

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/20634/t/Wading-staff-tapers.htm.

I think I don;t want to carry around a stick worth more than my rod...I'm too lazy to even carry a net. If I need a staff, i just won;t wade into that spot. I have scavenged a piece of properly sized deadfall for the purpose crossing and then crossing back and leaving it conveniently for the next person.

That one is super cool...but not for me.

I have contemplated purchasing a wading staff for a while and have come to the conclusion that I would rather spend my money on other things. I fish the WB Ausable in the Adirondacks alot and find that there are hundreds of free wading staffs (dead branches) for the taking. the only downfall is that I have been caught mid river fight a fish while watching my free wading staff float away. Oh well..

I'd rather spend the money on a rod.....although making one would be fun!!

I carry one of those cheap collapsible wading staffs when I am on tricky water. For me this is places like the Yough, WB Ausable, Delaware (lower) and the Lehigh. It has helped me out of some tough spots. There are a few places where I wouldn't go without one, and I don't want to give up those spots. You can always pick up a stick and hold it under your arm, but if you always want to have something on your belt then you need some sort of tied off staff.

I never fish the Yough without my Folstaff. The water is just too tricky without it. It's also good for keeping rafters away.

I had knee surgery 2 years ago (2 yrs today as a matter of fact) and bought a Folstaf for wading that spring. It really allowed me to get around and fish while the knee was still weak. I still use it even though the knee has recovered. It's great to have that extra support and safety. I don't use it all the time but it's conviently at my side if I do want to use it. Plus it's handy for poking around for snakes.

John

Years ago my wife gave me a Folstaff as a gift. It sat in the closet for over a year. Now I don't go anywhere without it. 6" to 4', it doesn't matter. I use it all the time. Yes, I am a putz on the water by the way. :)

Rolf

I bought a collapsable "hiking pole" for fishing WB Ausable last year. It works great and only cost $17. It is a telescopic pole with a cork handle. It collapses to about 14" and is adjustable. I have only used it for one week thus far, but it certainly gave me more confidence when fishing larger water for the first time.

Yes, I use a wading staff. A wading Staff can be a burden at times. I can't remember how many times I doubled back because I left it stuck in the ground, or hanging off a branch stream side. At the same time, I wouldn't wade Penns or Savage without it. If you ever been on the other side of broad pool, after the sun goes down on the Drake, you'll soon realize why you hauled that thing around all day. Wading staffs are good for wild places too. Sometimes I'll wisp the ground as I walk in an attempt to avoid snakes in the taller grass. A wading staff saves your knee's. As you fish through out the day you'll be less tired and will have covered better ground, more efficiently. Wading staff's are a big plus in big water...

Here's a good one to get. I got the one piece walnut swirl. This was years ago. The prices have goon up, man.

http://www.downeastwalkingsticks.com/b_wading.htm

I constructed a couple from old ski poles. Like an indicator, it's hard to deny their usefulness, but it was a pain to carry around. I would like to own a collapsable one that can be hooked onto my vest and available for use in tricky situations, but haven't been able to justify the purchase yet. I feel as I get older, I will end up getting one.

I use one all the time, I'd be wet without it. Used a broom handle I fixs up for many years, two years ago I got a Dan Baileys wading staff. I don't like it at all, makes to much noise when it hit rocks, it's made out of some cheap thin metal, so Im back to the broom handle. Wish there was a way I could tone it down.

Maurice said he could always tell it was me coming from all the noise I was making.

$50.00 down the tube!

PaulG

I bought one last year for the Jamboree. Everyone said that you really needed one for Penns. Penns was blown out, but I learned one important lesson fishing other streams with that high water.

Carrying the Staff is not enough, you have to use it!!! You can imagine how I learned that lesson.

Yes I carry a collapsible staff on rocky fast streams. Now that I am "feltless" I may rely on it more. Will have to see.

I have a wading staff, but hardly use it. There are at times when some of the waters I fish are running high and/or hard and it helps. I fished Montana this summer (end of June) and the waters were moving pretty good. I used it several times even though I was only able to wade out a bit on some of the waters.

At times, I have used it and it gets in the way. If you are a strong wader, probably don't need one. Sometimes good to have if you are fishing new or unfamiliar waters; can use it to make sure you don't drop off into a deep pool or ledge.

AS CRS said I use a collapsible hiking staff, bought for 9.95. Folds to about 14" and can be easliy hooked to my waist pack w/ the addition of a caribiner. Worked wonders for my knee which was surgically repaired 12/17.

I use one when the waters are high on Penns and thats about it anymore. I made one out of an old broom handle by drilling a hole in one and and running a string through to tie off on me somewhere. Works great but I only really use it on Penns because of the extremely slippery rocks there.

I use what mother nature affords or not.

Never use one..... guess I haven't fallen into the creek enough times to think about giving them a shot.

FYI, Cabelas has Folstaffs on sale for those who are interested.

Back