waders

L

leo

my waders have been leaking and my feet get soaked. I dont know what brand to get (just so they dont leak for along time)
Not that expensive somwere i the middle.

pm if you can help... :)

I had a pair of 50 dollar proline waders for over 10 years. I'm on my second set of cabelas in 5 years. My first pair of cabelas were neoprene. My new ones are Breathables and I like then a lot. Are your leaking at the seam? I found out that my neo cabelas were leaking because the seam in the heel of my boots were wearing a hole in them. With all that said, I don't see alot of better deals than Cabelas but I'll probably get what I paid for eventually. Never know...I miss that pair of proline waders.

Dear Leo,

You didn't mention where your waders are leaking? If they are just getting wet in the foot you could probably get some more time out of them with a pair of Gore-Tex or Seal-Dri socks.

One thing I will add is that many people complain of wet feet because the neoprene feet in their waders fail. Make sure you always wear gravel guards and make sure your wading shoes fit properly. You can get a lot of accidental wear in the feet of your waders if you don't.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

When I get new stocking foot waders I put a fairly thick coat of Aquaseal over the heel. I think this helps extend the lifetime of a wader since this spot seems to be where they wear thru first.

tomgamber wrote:
I had a pair of 50 dollar proline waders for over 10 years. I'm on my second set of cabelas in 5 years. My first pair of cabelas were neoprene. My new ones are Breathables and I like then a lot. Are your leaking at the seam? I found out that my neo cabelas were leaking because the seam in the heel of my boots were wearing a hole in them. With all that said, I don't see alot of better deals than Cabelas but I'll probably get what I paid for eventually. Never know...I miss that pair of proline waders.

I've had almost the complete opposite happen. Had a pair of proline waders (rubber though) dry rot in about 3 years. I replaced them with Cabela's 3mm nroprene and we are still going strong after 5 years. I fish at least every other week and even use them alot in the summer, I fish the Codorus and the Gunpowder both tailwaters can be ice water in July. I hang them to dry after every trip. I prefer the felt soled bootfoot,(that's all we had back in the day)so I can add extra wool socks in the winter.
A plug for Proline, I did get a pair of bootfoot hip boots with the canvas top and they are virtually indestructible. We got some flood damage at the house and I was forced to use them to work in. They are back on fishing duty now and 5+ years old. :-D

I'd go with anything but Proline especially when buying a pair of boots for your waders. We've had a few pairs and my brother went through his last pair in 2 weeks before they started falling appart. If you get boots get orvis because you can always return them for a new pair if they fall appart. Now for waders everyone has their favorites (I like Cabelas) but whats more important is getting a pair that fits you correctly so you don't stretch the seems and YOU have to be careful and avoid jagged sticks, hooks, sharp rocks, etc (look where you are going before you just blaze a trail). If you take care of them any brand of waders will last you a few years.

I just ordered a pair of LL Bean stockingfoot flyweights, which are on sale for $30 dollars. I can't vouch for the quality, but you can't beat that price.

Back