using a cork ring to increase the diameter a fly reel spool w/o increasing weight

k-bob

k-bob

gfen mentioned this idea and I might want to try it. for example, forbes magnesium reels are very light, but I might want to use less than a fly full line to balance a very short ultralight fly rod. With less than a full line, the line may have small coils and worse memory. anyone know where I can buy cork rings that might wrap round the spool to increase the diameter of a partial fly line? "homemade large arbor"

why wouldn't extra backing work?

tomitrout wrote:
why wouldn't extra backing work?

Or half inch masking tape?

Weight, is why.

I imagine I this on the ultralight ff'ing board, and I assume it was handle making rings.

I'll try to remember to look later.

I would think pipe insulation would work too.

As far a rings of cork, you can get them anywhere that sells rod building stuff.

Or walk around a hardware store and find a substitue.

pipe insulation seems like a good idea -- cheap and light. I want the filler ring material to fit right up to the spool's flanges/sides so line can't get hung up in there.

Pipe insulation might take on water if you dunk it though, no?

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/reply/1561/Interesting-reel-weight-comparison#reply-1561

"f you have a large diameter spool, look to the craft shops for some of that large diameter cork used in floral arangements or like they used and still do on netting for decorating and fishing purposes."

That's the best I can find, but I know its that forum I read about it on.

thanks for the ideas. MKern, good call! pipe insulation is ligther and easier to install than backing, and not expensive.. $1 for 6' :) ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22661054@N00/5497889558/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22661054@N00/5497951668/

if the pipe insulation is closed cell foam, I don't think it will take on water. should work pretty good.

The pipe insulation doesnt seem to hold water, but it might not hold a knot against a big fish.. probably only a good idea for reels used in small-fish only streams such as mountain brookies.

Bob - What about using 30lb backing? It'll take up lots more room on the spool than 20lb backing, and have none of the disadvantages of the substitutes suggested. Looks "normal" as well.

I think another plus side of the pipe insulation is the arbor know can still be tied to the...well the arbor. Because of the slit in teh foam, there's an escape point for the backing.

wonder if that foam will compress over time from the tension in the line?

It might, but it's not like it will go flat and it is $5 for 6' and you only use an inch at a time.

How about cork gasket material that comes in sheets.They're available at plumbing shops, auto stores. Cut off a strip the width of the arbor, wrap around the arbor to the thickness you need and cut off the rest. 8" X 12" sheet may run you 3 or 4 dollars, probably less.

Back