switch rod question...

C

country52

My understanding is that switch rods are 2 weights higher than a normal fly rod. Would a 11'6" 5wt switch be able to handle steelhead and lake run browns?

I'm not sure about them being 2 wts higher but I would recommend a heavier switch for steelies and browns. A 5wt is just too light for them, imo. A 7wt or 8 wt is probably better suited for those fish.

It depends on the rod, I use a 6 wt for steelhead so a 6 isn't out of the question. I always want to try my 4 wt. for steelhead, but I haven't been out for them in a long time.

Thanks for the help. I think I might give it a try. I emailed the company and they said if I get the 5wt and a steelhead breaks it they will replace it. I only make it up to the tribs a handful of times each year and if I get the 5wt I can use it close to home for trout and smallmouth.

5 wt for trout,smallys,large mouth,small lakers. 7tor 8 wt for steelhead,lakers,pike,muskys,9-10 for atlantic salmon and the bigger stuff, you get the message. A switch line in the weight class that's on your rod erring on the heavy side, will let the rod load and unload much better than using a conventional w.f., or s.h. line. Switch and spey rods need line designed for them if you want to get the best performance out of them. Check to what your rod likes with other fisherman who have the same setup, it will save you from experimenting and saves you money. sorry this was late ive been busy.

If your fishing the PA lake erie tribs I would think a 6wt or 7wt would be fine. I fish the salmon river in ny and many people use 7wts and 8wts. A 5wt might be on the light side.

Take brookieaddict's advise as far as line is concerned. A scandi or skagit should be just right.

Frank

Even with single hand rods, a 7wt is all that's needed for the PA tribs, and if you know what you're doing, a 6wt is fine too in all but the most crowded conditions. A 5wt is pushing it.

Assuming a switch would be equal to, if not better than a comparable weight SH rod, I think the 5wt will be fine. At the very least, you shouldn't be breaking it unless you're doing seriously dumb things.

country52 wrote:
My understanding is that switch rods are 2 weights higher than a normal fly rod.

not the rods but the lines.

the head of a switch line is two weights higher than a normal fly line.

ie a 7wt switch fly line head weighs the same as a 9wt WF line.

so if you have a 7wt switch, you could cast a WF9 on it, and people used to.

but modern switch lines have a taper and profile to match the line weight. i.e. they weigh the same as the weight two weights above but they are shorter and have steeper tapers.

this concentrates the same mass in a shorter length, which enables casters to load the rod easier and 'shoot' the line.

i would match the rod weight to the size of fish and tippet you want to catch & fish with :

15lb - 8wt
~20lb - 9/10wt

that applies for both fresh and saltwater.

anything larger and the rod is not the issue- it will be whether your fly reel drag can hold the fish when its fully tightened, other wise they are just going to spool you :cry:

From my experience with my 11ft 8wt switch rod, the wt of the rod is definitely not what's higher. That has to do with the line and taper. I started out using WF8wt line on mine, and it functions as any 11ft 8wt would with the ability to switch from making smaller one handed casts or making larger two handed casts. The switch lines are designed with the beefed up tapers to shoot out further in general casting and more specifically two handed casts like the design of spey/skaggit lines. Anything you would want to use it for on the local Great Lake tribs can be accomplished with basic line, but if you have distance in mind or want to go saltwater from a boat ever go with the switch line.

In summary, go with the weight of the rod for what you want to catch. A 5wt switch rod is still for trout and bass, just longer with a 2 handed grip for a unique set of casts and more functionality. You're still looking for a 7/8wt switch rod for steelhead.

Back