split shot/ weights

• Thread starter westpaflyfisher
  • Start date
westpaflyfisher

westpaflyfisher

Anyone have any good recommendations as to what size weights/ diameter i should be using for nymping? Also, where can I buy these weights in large quanitities?

I'm getting sick and tired of buying the round dispenser with all the assorted weights that I never use.

Thanks!

I like to use one shot when going underwater. Depending on the flow, this could be in a few different sizes. I cannot remember the mm designations and just buy them by sight.

I know, this is no help, but experience teaches.

I know what you mean, I usually don't pay attention to the sizes either and go by sight.

I do use the microshots occasionally, usually with a dropper nymph or pupa, just to break the surface film and light enough to not take my indicator dry fly under.

Welcome to the board.

I use the micro shot found here..

http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=22857

I use the bb sized regular shot with the wings. I don't feel that the crappy little shot marketed towards fly fishermen actually does much.

I'm a pretty firm believer in the putty. It can be a little tougher to keep on, but my fat fingers are no good for those micro shot.

I know it isn't advisable but I put 2 shots of microshot on my tongue in the hope of getting at least one on the line. I promptly put the other back if I am successful with the first and also spit to delude myself into thinking this is a safe way to conserve shot.

I agree with Jdaddy. Tungsten Putty is all you need.

It sucks in really cold weather though unless you keep it close to your body. It needs to be soft to mold it on your line.

One good way to simplify the shot matter is to buy one or at most two sizes of shot, say some single B's for really getting down and some 6's for general trouting. Then add and remove tungsten putty prn from a point just above the shot. If properly crimped onto the leader, the shot will keep the putty from sliding down and as somebody else said, you can make minute weight adjustments with the putty.

This is what I do, at any rate. And by and large, I'm happy with it.

For what its worth, I think the Dinsmore egg-shaped 6's are the best. You can't crimp them on with your fingers, you need pliers. But once they're on, they seldom slide or move, a problem with most other lead shot.

If you buy in bulk as you suggest, be sure to check the quality of the shot. For example the bulk shot at Cabelas has around a 50% misformed rate which requires a lot of fiddling around with. It's a pain in smaller sizes.

here is the easiest way i found to put on the micro split shot that was found in the link:
place your lowest fly on the hook holder and tight the line so your rod bends and the line has a lot of tension. now its depending on flow but i have only ever used the first 3 smallest and often double up. i place them in my mouth, i pop the first out and place it on my finger with the slit facing up and push it up on the line and the tension holds it dwon and i then bite it, repeat that process
i still lose a few but it is signifantly easier

I wouldn't give ya 2 cents for the putty stuff. I use the micro shot very similar to what was mentioned on up the post and the BB size split shots if I'm high sticking. There are a lot of different kinds of micro shot and the majority do not stay in place where you crimp them on the line which really ticks me off. Also anytime you crimp something onto your line it creates a weak spot. Most of my weight is built into my flies.

I leave the tag end on the tippet and crimp shot there.

I don't use micro shot. If I want to fish just sub surface I dress the tippet or dropper with snake river mud - or you can buy Fullers Earth from craft stores for a $1 for an ounce.

I have been using regular old lead split shot. Recommendation from Hammertime-lately I've been using a blood knot about 12" north of my first nymph and it keeps the shot from sliding into my flies.

most of the time i put the weight in my flies

I almost never use shot. I prefer the twist on strips. Just pul off a snall pc twinst on and go. I have been using them for years. They really stay on and don't seem to get snagged as much as shot.
Just my 2 cents.

GenCon

I have usually put my weight on the flies. The problem is...well...it is what it is and unless I want it heavier I'm stuck with what I put on. Using shot, which is a royal pain all around, let's the unweighted fly dance a bit more realistically (imho) tham the flies I weight on the hook.
Coughlin

Back