Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

small stream fly rod

From Ligonier
What are the advantages of a premium rod versus a lower cost fly rod which will be used for very small streams/brooks? I'm looking for a 3 or 4 weight rod 7' 6" or less to use on tiny streams where casting is not an issue?

Posted on: 2013/1/1 11:13

Re: small stream fly rod

From Pittsburgh
I have a 7'9" 2 weight loomis IMX rod that I use on small streams, It would be considered a premium rod and it is quite nice. But I bought it about 20 years ago now, and got it rather cheaply on closeout.
That said, I don't think I would spend big bucks on a small stream rod now. I hike into some very, tight brushy areas - where a lot of roll casting and even just plain dapping the fly is often required. And I sometimes have fallen during these forays into the big woods - something you don't really want to do with an expensive rod for sure.
So, yeah I would recommend a cheaper rod for this kind of fishing

Posted on: 2013/1/1 11:37

From Ohio
A cheap fast action rod is best for this kind of fishing. I fish a 7.5' 4/5 weight that cost me $45 and lined it with a 5 weight line. It does the job perfectly. As far as line weight goes there are two schools of thought. Lighter line weight like a 2 or 3 weight for delicate presentation is one way to go. The other option is a 5 or 6 weight to load the rod with minimal line out of the tip. I think the heavier line weights are better for brookie fishing because brookies are not as picky about presentation and the heavier lines will turn over the fly with minimal line out of the tip.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 12:19

From Gamehendge
Dont know what your budget is. But Skip at Mile creek custom rods makes great small stream rods. I picked up a Batson Rx7 blank with PacBay titanium single foot guides, Ebony wood reel seat and halfwell cork, 6'6" 3wt. I consider it one of the best rods I own. I little pricey for a brookie rod, but when you need to cast, which is more often then not for me on small brook steams. It will throw line well over 40' and lay down tiny dries nicely.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 13:21

From Ligonier
Thanks for feedback. I do tend to venture into rough terrain and have fallen/tripped numerous times. I think cheaper is the way for me though I do have an appetite for the finer gear.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 13:49

From Clearfield
I have a very inexpensive small stream rod. Rarely do you need to cast more then 10-15' so the perfect casting rod is not needed. I would however suggest over lining by a wt. Rods are made to cast 30' I can't remember a time when I cast my 7'-6" rod that far.

I got a three forks 7'-6" 3wt for $50. Great rod for the money.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 14:42

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, I go cheap on small stream rods too. Too dangerous regarding breakage when walking through thick stuff, slips and falls, etc.

Fast action is an advantage. There was a time when the premium rods tended to be faster. I think those days are gone, you can get slow or fast cheap or expensive.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 14:54

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

Fast action is an advantage.

can you explain why ? - i'm looking for a small stream rod too and was looking at moderate or full flex rods...

Posted on: 2013/1/1 18:13

From LV
I don't worry about it, my small stream rod is a loomis that cost $450, I fall 2 or 3 times a year and nothing bad has happened. It is guarenteed. I don't over line it, there is no need to, it'll shoot 60 feet of line under tree roots if I need it to. It'll also drop a fly under overhanging branches pretty well.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 20:19

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

geebee wrote:
Quote:

can you explain why ? - i'm looking for a small stream rod too and was looking at moderate or full flex rods...
IMO a fast action is better because you can throw very tight loops which helps when you must cast under tree limbs etc. and into tight spots. I have used both fast and slow action flyrods and though both will work OK I prefer a faster action. You will have to decide which you like better.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 20:36

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
I don't worry about it, my small stream rod is a loomis that cost $450, I fall 2 or 3 times a year and nothing bad has happened. It is guarenteed. I don't over line it, there is no need to, it'll shoot 60 feet of line under tree roots if I need it to. It'll also drop a fly under overhanging branches pretty well.
I agree Chaz, one of my favorite rods for small streams is a rather expensive Sage TXL 7' 4 weight. I have taken a couple of spills fishing brushy freestoners but none where I have had to worry about breaking my rod. I like the way the rod handles and just enjoy fishing it. If it breaks I will just have to get it fixed.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 20:41

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:

Tight loops are needed for tight windows. Fast rods roll cast better too. Finesse and "soft" presentations aren't needed anyway, brookies aren't presentation shy.

Some like softer actions because you can feel the fight of a 6 incher better. But I don't go to the little streams for the fight!

Posted on: 2013/1/1 22:56

From South Lebanon Township, PA
I agree with the consensus that cheap is probably the way to go for small stream rods. Both of mine were in the $100 range.

Rod action is a personal preference thing...for small streams I like a med/fast, probably slightly on the faster end.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 8:56

From Bucks County
No Helios II for the small stream? LOL

Posted on: 2013/1/2 10:51

Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
I agree with the consensus that cheap is probably the way to go for small stream rods. Both of mine were in the $100 range.

Rod action is a personal preference thing...for small streams I like a med/fast, probably slightly on the faster end.

I also prefer small stream rods on the faster end. What models can you recommend in the $100 range?

BTW, to the original poster, I recommend getting a 7 1/2 ft or 7' 9" rod for a 4 wt line, rather than something shorter or lighter.

Any stream that is open enough to walk up, you can fish with a 7 1/2 foot rod, once you learn some small stream casting techniques.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 11:25

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com