Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

silk fly line

From Yeagertown,Pa
How many of you fly rodders are useing silk fly lines?

Posted on: 2010/6/8 22:39

Re: silk fly line

From SEPA
I've given it thought once or twice simply to give me another excuse as to why I'm Doing It Right, but still not catching fish.

Zhus on eBay sells a very affordably priced silk line. I believe their cost in around $50, as opposed to $200 for the French ones.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 8:52

How many of you use silk fly line is like asking how many of you take a covered wagon to the stream?

I guess there's the purist or classic person that may still use it but I'm pretty sure that modern lines are a great deal better.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 9:30

From SEPA
Covered wagons carry alot of stuff, and float across rivers. My point? There's an advantage, sometimes, in the old ways.

Silk lines supposedly cast and layout better than a modern PVC line, leaving you with gentle presentations and great drifts. The silk line turn over is one of the things people supposedly are emulating with the emphasis on furled leaders, now. I'm speaking only from reading, no first hand knowledge, but I can see an advantage.

If I ever stumble on a silk line for cheap, I'd buy it and try it out. I believe can offer an advantage if you're willing to work with its shortfalls. Like all methods, there's pros and cons. The relentless march of progression has left some important victims in its wake.

I can put this far easier in the context of photography, where I do have first hand knowledge as well as a preference for working with the conestoga wagon of cameras, and can name you a dozen different reasons its superior to a modern DSLR.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 10:25

From Hanover
Looks like some anglers still want it.

http://www.cortlandline.com/products/default.asp?id=96

Posted on: 2010/6/9 10:40

From SEPA
Little different, that's a modern PVC line that's just best-effort modelled after a real silk line. The biggest benefit is its smaller diameter for easier use in bamboo rods, which feature smaller guides.

FWIW, I use it on my own bamboo rod. I actually really like it both there and my graphite 3wt.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 12:44

From Greensburg, PA
The "Sylk" replicates the fine diameter, long taper, supple feel and subtle color of natural silk, but in a modern, easy to care for fly line.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 12:48

Get yourself some worms and make your own! I'm sure there are traditionalists out there that insist on bamboo and silk. They can have it for all I care. A good caster can lay a fatter line on the water without creating anymore of a disturbance. The smaller guides point.... not sure. I'll go to the garden and pull up one of my tomato stakes and check them.... THAT'S RIGHT! I buy bamboo rods, break them and use them as stakes to hold plants in my garden.

If anyone on here has ever fished the Methodist Camp on the WB of the D in the month of May..... same guy for 20 yrs using a bamboo rod and silk line. He let my buddy Josh take a few hacks with the rod. When we got back to the car, Josh says "WTF? That thing sucked and weighed a ton. How can anyone fish with something like that?"

FWIW... I don't have a garden. LMAO

Posted on: 2010/6/9 14:05

From down the block from the Letort.
yeah sight-nymph....and I bet that old fella would probably have the same thing to say about that lifeless high modulus super graphite rod your bud was using.

I got turned on to silk lines this year and love 'em, wouldn't fish with anything else given the choice...and yeah I also fish bamboo pretty much exclusively. If you're really interested, visit Jim & Jonas at the Feathered Hook in Coburn, they'll probably loan you a silk to try out on the water. I was hooked after just a short session of lawn casting outside the shop...

more info? here's a blurb about the 're-discovery' of silk fly lines: http://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?silk

oh, and watch out for those Zhus lines, general opinion is that they're pretty much junk from the research I did...you get what you pay for.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 14:24

Well, I don’t dress in a civil war uniform, use a sickle to cut my lawn, drive a 74 AMC Town & Country wagon to the stream or use a vintage bamboo with a centerpin reel. I certainly won’t use silk line but thanks for the info. Too much of a hassle. I think the advances in fishing technology are wonderful. I don’t get to fish much anymore so I want to maximize / enjoy what little time I do get on the water. To each their own I guess. I’m not much of a vintage kind of guy. Not sure that my fly box has seen a mickey finn, adams, hares ear or any ‘traditional’ patterns in 15+ yrs. If you want to use bamboo and silk, knock yourself out.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 17:31

From Yeagertown,Pa
sight_nymph_17109 I guess it takes a man to fish bamboo.HaHa,I like the slowness of cane and silk,plus the beauty and crafts menship of a fine cane rod.everything nowadays is so darn fast pace even life.some times you just have to slow down and smell the wild roses.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 17:56
During the Battle of Bulge,PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, told a sergeant in a retreating tank destroyer to, "...pull your vehicle behind me—I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going!"

"takes a man to fish bamboo and silk" ??? If you say so. My personal pref is for a rod that is med-fast to fast depending on what I'm doing so you'll probably never see me browsing the rack of bamboo rods at the local shop. It is definately an art to build them but I never understood why you'd want to fish with one. I'd put one in a shadow box on the wall but probably never fish it. I'll take modern equip and sit on the bank for hours. I don't even have to fish. Just decompress and enjoy the beauty of nature. I do smell the roses.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 18:05

From philadelphia
i use silk line when i'm in the mood for it.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 18:19

From Yeagertown,Pa
tomitrout Jim Kelly is fishing a 45+ year old line I would like to see a pvc line do that.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 18:26
During the Battle of Bulge,PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, told a sergeant in a retreating tank destroyer to, "...pull your vehicle behind me—I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going!"

From harlansburg
despite the maintenance with a silk line, nothing feels like one on a good bamboo rod. I have only cast one, never owned one. as for the modern lines I do fish, I try to get the most supple ones I can, they match the slower action rods I prefer.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 18:30

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com