rod/reel case recommendations

trowpa

trowpa

I'm looking for options here. I do a lot of short trips (15 minutes or less) and I am usually lazy and in a rush to fish, so I hate to tear down / re-rig. I know that is the safest for transporting my gear, but if I am honest with myself, I know i will rarely use the rod tubes I have to transport my gear.

Often I break my rod down to two pieces, still rigged and just lay it on a blanket in my car. That is not so safe and with passengers sometimes not possible.

I'm looking at the combo rod tube/reel cases that allow you to store rigged rods. Just looking for recommendations on what works. Either looking for two individual cases, or a single case that holds at least 2 rods/reels. Are they all the same? or do some work better than others for ease of use / protection?

Thanks!

Shouldn't have bought that vette, not nearly enough room to lay that Sage out...

Anyways, roof rack. Cruise eBay or craigslist for a set of towers amd bars, then buy the clips/pads from nestors.

Add a seed ski or snowboard holderlr and your 100% set.

Ahhh yes - I use the ski roof rack method on the minivan for my surf rods. Works well for trips to AI. Never considered it for the fly rods...

Still - I don't plan on putting a roof rack on the honda fit..i think it may just tip over ;) Also.. that won't help me when i'm jumping in a friends car carpooling to the stream.

Are you thinking of some thing like this?

Link

I use a case like that and keep my gear rigged up no problem.

Yes - something like that. Single, or double variety. I see a variety of them at all price points from $30 - 100. Just wondering if they are all the same or if some have more room, better protection, better design etc.

trowpa wrote:
Ahhh yes - I use the ski roof rack method on the minivan for my surf rods. Works well for trips to AI. Never considered it for the fly rods...

Still - I don't plan on putting a roof rack on the honda fit..i think it may just tip over ;) Also.. that won't help me when i'm jumping in a friends car carpooling to the stream.

AI?

My brother-in-law uses his like that all the time, and I've thought long and hard about picking up a ski rack for my car. The major difference, he's got a longer 4Runner, so there's more room between the bars than I've got if I leave 'em rigged as one.

FWIW, I was surprised when I parked the Helement next to a first gen Fit, the E wasn't really that much bigger. I'm blown away by how big compact cars are, or how compact the Element actually is.

As to those cases Bassitjon had, I thought you meant a one piece case, not something you could just break the rod into two and slide it into.

I've got two, one Cabela's brand, and one from Dick's. They're the same thing, as far as I'm concerned. Buy the one you find on sale.

Gfen - cool. - i plan on breaking the rods down in two, but leaving the lines rigged. I'll take a look at dicks since its closer than cabelas....

And AI = Assateague Island.

Either that, or next time we meet ask me to toss one in the car for you to eyeball.

Depending on how Saturday breaks down, I might have Sunday to kill on the Lehigh for smallies.

Pssssst. Try this one.

Isn't your birthday coming up? :cool:

Thanks HA. And why yes...yes it is. Aug 24th.

You Beanies have spin-rod cases? I want someting to carry my switch with reel attached, although I imagine it won't have a 3 section compartment...

Bah.

For Cheap, Walmart has a S-A case for under $20.

I too have the Cabela's double case and love it. I keep my rod rigged up at all times in the case. To prevent the hooks from sticking in the material on the inside of the case, causing a big mess, use 1/4" foam chuncks and slide them over the hook points.

I use the foam I bought from a craft store that I use for hoppers, I use it as a drying rack for flies on my vise stem, and I cut small squares to impale hooks while riding in the car to keep them from getting stuck in the carpet or case.

Any ideas for a makeshift reel pouch that will keep my loved one(s) safe.?

GG suggested crown royal bags a while back.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14411&forum=7

I actually just filled a sun glasses pouch type thing with a bit of cut out sheet. Im only putting a spare spool with 3 weight in it so it works out when Im out wishing and then just do the same with my reel itself.

Back