rod and reels for my wife and daughter

rudeone

rudeone

Looking to get my wife and 11 year old daughter into the sport. Any suggestions for a reasonable rod for a beginner. Looked at the Orvis Encounter. The sales person tried to talk me into the Clearwater combo it cost $299 vs the Clearwater at $159. The Clearwater has a 25 year warranty whereas the Encounter has none. Not sure about spending that much however.

Thanks in advance,

Rudeone

Get a cabelas wind river combo on sale...not bad for the price and easily upgradable. Not too cheap to be frustrating but ok for your daughter to get into the sport. Best of luck and enjoy the time spent fishing with your family.

Wright & McGill has an entire line of products they call Fly Girl. I bought my wife a nice 4 wt a few years back. They are designed with women in mind.. slightly smaller grip etc. Makes a decent set up and your ladies will feel like it is special for them... Goggle it and take a look.

Bill A

Get something you'll enjoy fishing with too in case they don't take to the sport.

Go cheap. Luckily I did. My wife hasn't used her waders in ten years.

+1 on the wind river combo at Cabela's. I bought a 4 wt wind river combo from them about a year and a half ago, and really like it. I can't see spending $300 or more on a fly rod combo when a cheap one from Cabela's casts just fine. I think I paid like $60 or so when I bought it - it was on sale for cheap.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to go with the Orvis Clearwater combo actually. That way in the event that they don't take an interest to FF, I am still left with something I wouldn't mind using myself.

Back