reel

buggerman

buggerman

hey all looking for a good reel to put on my 5w rod like to keep it under $100 any suggestions? thanx :-D

Okuma makes great cheap reels.

http://tinyurl.com/2a3guz.

I think it's the best reel for the money, personally.

Echo -- $70 (Extra spools = $40)

Cortland Endurance -- $100 (Extra cassettes; both large and mid arbor = $10)

I own them both and would highly recomend both. The Cortland take about a season to break in though. The drag has a tendancy to reset itself until it has been fished with a lot.

BTW, I would never spend more than $100 for a reel.

Fly Logic FLP 345 or the FLP 567
I have landed 30 lb salmon with the 567
can be found on ebay for about 75 or so with shipping-- the fly fishing shop -- great customer service great reel USA made
567 drag system is amazing--I have used Fly Logic reels for about 10 years or so

okuma vashon -- can be found on ebay for 75 bucks or less

orvis rocky mountain -- older reel that can be found on ebay from time to time-- this is the older standard arbor reel-- awesome reel---price range is up and down, but always under 100

scierra IC3-- one reel with 4 spools-- 80 bucks or so

teton or tioga reels can be found on ebay for about 100 bucks--american made--

good luck with your choice

2bonthewater

G Loomis Venture reel for $100 is super smooth, rugged, reliable, and good looking. If I were a single female, I'd even date one!
Seriously, I've had one on my backwoods setup for years, so it has taken some abuse and has held up tremendously.

I have 3 different sizes of the Okuma SLV and I'm looking to add a fourth this year. Great reel! http://www.troutlet.com/Okuma-SLV-Fly-Reel-P206.aspx

Look on ebay and you may be able to get a deal. I like the Orvis Battenkill reels myself. They upped the price this year to 125.00. I just bought on for my 4wt for 75 bucks.

I also like the Okuma reels and for the money I do not think that you can beat them.

thanx for your input it seems like the okuma gets :) great reviews im using a good ol medalist now but it has seen better days.....

All my reel are Battenkills, so last year I got a Tioga by teton, for something different. It's a fine reel, very pleased with it!

It's a 3wt

I have an orvis battenkill bar stock in a size II for 3-5 wt on my 4 wt. rod. It is a great reel. It looks good, has a good drag, and is very light weight. I think you would probably want the next size up, which is $119 on the orvis site. You could check ebay and might be able to find a deal or you could downsize to the reel I have which is only 2 and 3/4". Also, before I had the orvis reel, I had a Cabelas Prestige plus on a 5 wt. I think I read on here that those were made by okuma. That was also a good reel, but didn't look as good.

I have a okuma magnitude(pure magnesium reel) and its great.Very light weight and durable.I got it at cabellas' for 70.00$(marked down from 100$)I plan to upgrade my bass rod,and will be getting another okuma.They make great stuff and well priced.

i forgot to mention the OKUMA airframe--now it is called the CASCADE
used the 7/9 for salmon fishing and it performed flawlessly

i also used the vashon 7/8 for steelies and didn't have a problem

both reels are light, vashon is extremely light

thanx again guys.... i ordered the okuma slv 5/6 got it off ebay for 35 new in the box. not a bad deal

good news bugger.

now you can rest and refurbish your pflueger,true classic that it is.

my own 1494 is starting to act up too.

sounds like a solid choice

that reel has been highly spoke of on this website

put that new reel to good use!!!!!

trust me i will. i moving on the first day but it will get used on sunday for sure..........

Back