reel recommendation

Fishman12992

Fishman12992

Hi, I'm looking for a reel that will best balance my hardy zenith 8'6" 5wt, any recommendations?

my personal suggestion is go to a fly shop and take your zenith in and fit some reels.. or have them custom fit it. some will wrap weight on the spool before backing to balance it out.

maybe others will be a bit more helpful and specific.

Chris

If I had a nice rod like that, I like Slinger would also want it balanced. Google fly reel and rod balance for lots of discussion. The debate on this is almost as voluminous as spot burning. And yes, as soon as you cast line out the balance changes. What I like is a standard fishing distance balance but without being obsessive about it. A very slight inclination for the tip to drift up is to be preferred over a slight inclination for the tip to sag, IMO.

If you like the classic look I'd keep it in house and find a Hardy Lightweight series model LRH, the vintage English made version pops up on eBay quite often. Should balance that rod just fine, but I'm not real particular about that, within an inch or so in front of the grip works fine for me.

Spot on everyone. I personally like mine to balance at the end of my grip near the winding check. It's how my first rod was and just went with it

Back