reel for 8wt.

R

rubby

what reel would you recommend for 8wt that will handle steelhead & not have to take out a mortgage

There are a zillion options. Opt for something with a large arbor and a sealed drag system. You can find that by many manufacturers at reasonable prices.

Do you have anything like that Ryan at Risen Fly?

PatrickC wrote: There are a zillion options. Opt for something with a large arbor and a sealed drag system. You can find that by many manufacturers at reasonable prices.
+1

I've used the Sage 1800 series and it was good for a few years, but it started to rub metal last spring on the Grand. I've really enjoyed Lamson Gurus (I've got three of them now). Drag is the same on the Konick, give that a try.

Lamson Konic, i'm looking for one to go on sale for my 8wt for sept salmon in pulaski

Orvis hydro IV

The Ichthus reel over at RisenFly.com will do fine for you.

Dear ruby,

Look for a used Scientific Anglers 7/8L from 10 years ago or more.

They are about as bullet proof a reel as was ever made. I have 4 older S/A reels covering 7 to 10 weight lines and they have never failed or even acted up at all.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

The Ichthus reel over at RisenFly.com will do fine for you.

Yep. I have the 7/8wt and it has handled some nice drag busting steelies and carp perfectly so far. Anxious for the fall run!

Lamson Konic by a long shot

lamson. I have a 10 konic ans 8 guru. the guru is nice and light konic is heavy but a great reel for 100 bucks. same drag system on both. ive taken it fresh and salt. had it for about 3 years. still work fine. ive seen them stop albies so steel head will be fine.

Orvis has their battenkills 50% off now

PatrickC wrote:
There are a zillion options. Opt for something with a large arbor and a sealed drag system. You can find that by many manufacturers at reasonable prices.

Do you have anything like that Ryan at Risen Fly?

Check out our Anakim reels. They have a rubber O ring to seal the drag around the drag knob. It's completely waterproof, which is also important when dealing with steelhead fishing as it won't freeze in the low temperatures that can be common for steelhead fishing. For a machined aluminum reel with a sealed drag, it's really quite affordable. Also all paflyfish members get an extra 15% off with code "paff"

http://www.risenfly.com/collections/frontpage/products/anakim-fly-reel

i like all lamson products. i have been using the litespeed 3.5 for steelies. they are great!. i have used the velocity too. with the lamsons being so light, you can go up a size to get better takeup and more backing on the reels.

I trust what Albie says. GG

One of the site sponsers ran a large banner advertising "8wt reel shootout."

Perhaps that's a good starting point?

http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/2013-8-weight-wt-challenge-fly-reel-review

Up until the comment about not taking out a mortgage I would have said a Ross Momentum 4. I'm a big fan of Ross Reels :)

konic is the best reel for the money. period.

Lamson. Konic or Guru.

the guru or konic would cost less than a risen.Plus there are no specs for weight with the risen but if its heavier than the ichthus it will be a brick IMO. and lamsons are made in Idaho.

Back