recommendations for on-line fly purchases?

K

kinger26

Hi all,

I'm transitioning from a die hard bass fisherman to fly fishing for trout. I haven't gotten to the stage where I'm ready to delve into the hobby of fly-tying. Hitting up the local shops here by the West Branch of the Delaware will empty a wallet faster than I'd have believed! Are there any online resources for flies you can recommend that are of high quality but won't break the bank?

Thank you!

I don't remember the sites, but I have seen a few with relatively cheap flies, if you search around online you will probably find a couple places in a few minutes

I use The Fly Stop. The flies are cheap and they hold up fairly well. I like that they send a packing slip with a photo of each type of fly with size in organized containers. After you set up an account you can access previous orders which is helpful if you're experimenting with new flies and may not remember the name of the fly you ordered 18 months ago that worked today.

I've been ordering almost exclusively from bigyflyco.com since I discovered them. Free shipping for orders over $35, and the flies are all really cheap! All of the flies I've gotten from them, except for maybe 2 or 3 that I can remember have been of good quality. I also really like the midge boxes and other cheap fly boxes they sell.

The only thing they don't really have is tungsten head flies. If you want those, you'll have to go someplace else.

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

bigyflyco gets another vote from me

I've had some success with the fly stop and big Y.

Fly Stop for me

I've used flystop as well for nymphs and streamers. I think the body on the dries is way too thick with most of the mass production dealers.

I go to http://www.theflystop.com for almost everything. They have great pricing and flies and the delivery is fantastic. Unfortunately they don't carry sage or sims so thats a bummer.

Tonto Creek Flies is pretty good too

sign up for emails from sierra trading post. when they send you a 35, 40 or 45 percent off coupon, load up on flies. you can generally get them down to less than $5 a dozen. they usually offer free shipping on orders over $75 or $.99 shipping.

Bigyflyco has my vote also !!!!

I too like The Fly Stop for when I order online. They are cheap, hold up well, and look good. I also like that they send you a packing slip with a picture and fly so you can remember what you ordered from before.

I am a fan of Hills Discount flies. There prices are a little higher than big y but the quality is FAR superior. I will never again order from Big Y Fly the flies I got from them were garbage. Light Cahills tied with black thread, caddis with terrible wing proportions, and poor hook quality. I tie a lot but when I need bulk flies that is my goto place. I looked at fly stop but I am hesitant after trying Big Y.

I agree, big Y Flies just do not have any quality control going. You never know what you'll get...look at their pictures. Hills is ok but my favorite is http://www.theflystop.com and the just redid the site.

The Fly Shack is good. You got a lot of other good leads here too. Fill your boxes with decent but reasonably priced lies. But it makes sense to me to spend a few dollars at a local fly shop. You support the local craftsman, get local fishing advice, and help keep the shop going.

I've been ordering from streamflies and they have free shipping on orders over 30 dollars

Back