pflueger medalist

Stogie26

Stogie26

has any one else noticed that pflueger medalist reels are no longer stocked on major retail websites, and even on pflueger's website. Im wondering if they are discontinuing the line. I have always liked their vintage look and affordable price and think it would be a real shame if they stop making them

There is a thread in the Gear section about this exact point. Just to give ya a heads up.

thanks

Ya know what, I am sorry, that thread is about the Orvis battenkill.

same deal, medalist is made no more. What a run!

What a shame. Such a nice classic real for such a reasonable price.

About a decade ageo I bought a couple of matching Medalist models for a vintage bamboo rod I aquired (fortunately/unfortunately more than one as it was an addicting and expensive hobby). Screws kept falling out (no matter how often they were tightened or how) the bluing faded fast as well other quality issues. Discovered they were made in China. Bought a few on e-bay after that (old but mint condition and still in the original box made in U.S.A.). Went to pick up one of the made in Chna models a couple years back (to equip. a rod I was selling) to doscover even they are no more. The passing of a classic - a sad event.

Oh man I just emailed my wife to see if I could buy one off Amazon. I borrowed my dad's on Monday to use on one of my vintage glass rods 'cause my Heddon 310 broke. I LOVED it. Gotta get one before they officially become a "collector's reel".

I wouldn't worry about rushing out. There are SOOOO many of these reels out there. Look for the Akron reels, or the Arkansa reels. The metal is better than the AK China reels.

I find the 1494 series to be the best models for all around trout, at 1494 fits great with your standard 8 - 9' 5 wts and then a 1494 1/2 is great for longer bamboo and glass because of the added weight.

I pimped my two out with one pfoot accessories but unfortunately i believe Bill is sick again and is no longer in production either.

My wife doesn't know that though! She told me I'm allowed to order one. Rock and roll. Rock. and. Roll.

They have a bunch at gander mountain in Harrisburg. Even have combos with em

I have one that I used in my yute. Still looks nice but I haven't used it for quite some time since I've gone to the high tech dark side. :)

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Oh man I just emailed my wife to see if I could buy one off Amazon. I borrowed my dad's on Monday to use on one of my vintage glass rods 'cause my Heddon 310 broke. I LOVED it. Gotta get one before they officially become a "collector's reel".

what broke on it? hardy parts fit these.

Aren't Hardy parts ripping expensive? I was walking up a sooty bank to a stream in Lanc and went down. Landed on the reel, breaking the handle. I really only have to replace the spool.

Sasquatch - This guy could probably fix your reel. He's not terribly expensive either. Might be easier than finding a spool for that Heddon...

http://www.archuletasreelworks.com/

Back