no new vest for me

R

rrt

This evening, I cajoled my wife into repairing a couple places in my fishing vest: a shoulder tear from crawling under a barbed wire fence, and a large hole in the pocket where I store my main box of dry flies (I didn't want to lose the box). When she started and then as she worked to repair the tears and the hole, she chided me for wearing such a woeful vest. She actually threatened to buy me a new one, which, of course, horrified me. Though I try to avoid other guys when fishing, I do run into a fair number of them, and I certainly would not want to be embarrassed by wearing a new vest. I'm sure you all understand! When I tried to explain that to her, she told me that no one should look like I must when wearing that vest (or at least she pretended that she was distraught that I'd wear my reliable old vest). Just because it has a few stains and now-repaired places is no reason to run out for another. But, I'm going to have to keep an eye on it, or I'm afraid she really will try to replace it. If I'd have known that having her sew a few spots was going to cause her reaction, I'd have just duct-taped the tears and the hole. Geez....

I'm about to replace my wading boots with a new pair. I feel the same way about wearing a brand new pair. My old ones are getting pretty worn and have alot of wear on them and need replaced soon. Wearing new ones I'm afraid will make me look like a rookie. :-(

I've had my wife - who is a seamstress - repair my current vest, which is about 6-7 years old. No holes or tears in it - just a few of the zippers broke, and she replaced them. But it does have a few stains on it, and she keeps telling me to get aother one also.
Now, I have no problem with wearing something new - and can't really understand why you guys thing it makes you look like a novice.
But the old one is so comfortable - like a well worn pair of shoes or gloves. And I know right where everything is in it.
I don't know though. Guess I'll probably be getting a new one soon

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I'm about to replace my wading boots with a new pair. I feel the same way about wearing a brand new pair. My old ones are getting pretty worn and have alot of wear on them and need replaced soon. Wearing new ones I'm afraid will make me look like a rookie. :-(

Let your fishing do the talking not your gear . I am always getting new vets and waders and never been accused of being a rookie . But I have been accused of wearing to much tweed :lol:

:oops:

Attachments

• Tweed.jpg
    Tweed.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1
Here I thought I was just cheap and that was why I never wanted to replace anything and here it may be a underlying fear of looking like I am just new to this sport.

My vest is duct taped and my pack which is a old william joseph which my wife added part to the strap so I can buckle it because I was much younger and slimmer when I first got that pack which I love and could not think of replacing.

I'm a rookie may have to put some holes in the vest and repair it with camo duct tape. Maybe that will increase my skill level. lol

When I finally had to put my old vest out of its misery, I replaced it with a vest-pack. It took me nearly the whole year to get used to the new locations of the items I carry along.

I'll confess to being one of those anglers who has always taken some pride in his old, battered equipment. My chest fly box is nearly 30 years old and my trout vest is probably over 20. Like a lot of "older" fishermen who started in the hobby before chest packs were prevalent (almost every trout fisher wore vests before the mid 80s or so).....I've always been a vest guy and, like Jack, am a creature of habit and prefer my stuff stay in the same pockets. Nevertheless, many anglers who wore vests for years find they develop back pain as they get older and switch to the, apparently, more ergonomic chest packs. However, I like to carry a lot of stuff and haven't had back pain (yet) so I'll stick with my old, tattered vest replete with tears, frayed edges, decades old Mucilin stains.... and such battle scars.

I have completely rid myself of the vest. Chest box, zingers, and the wader pouch is all I need. My back thanks me.

Dunno what you guys are talking about, but there is nothing like new gear. Knowing that you won't have to replace something for awhile is always reassuring for me. I'm really hard on gear. There is not a company out there that makes anything I can't destroy within a year. Remember... "If your lookin good, your fishin good".

+1^

Ask for one for Xmas. Then if anyone asks "say santa took pitty on me" New is new. GG

Phish_On wrote:
"If your lookin good, your fishin good".

"If you're lookin good, you just returned from shopping."

There, fixed it for yuh. :)

Fishidiot wrote:
Phish_On wrote:
"If your lookin good, your fishin good".

"If you're lookin good, you just returned from shopping."

There, fixed it for yuh. :)
Glad you fixed that for him. :)

Fredrick wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:

Let your fishing do the talking not your gear . I am always getting new vets and waders and never been accused of being a rookie . But I have been accused of wearing to much tweed :lol:
I don't wear tweed but I have a very comfortable straw hat that wear in the summer when it's hot. Old Lefty laughs at me when I wear it but it's so darn comfortable. It's a light natural color and I guess it does not blend into the background like the rest of my gear but I still catch fish wearing it. :cool: If Foxgap can wear an orange watchcap and still catch fish I guess I can continue to wear my straw hat. :lol:

I don't want to look like some hack on the stream. Sorry I can afford to buy nice NEW things. Must be a crime where y'all come from. You'll know me when you see me. Looks like I just stepped out of a simms ad. Hahahaha

I'm shocked, truly shocked, to see that about half of the respondents to this agree with my dear, darling wife! I am thankful that the other half seem to understand how humiliated I would be to be discovered wearing a new vest when mine is totally satisfactory. In fact, I am just getting ready to head out to the creek; I'll be wearing the old vest, an old pair of hippers that do not leak very much, and a well-worn denim jacket. My hat is one that I found in the muck along a stream one night a couple years ago. It appalls my wife and at least one of her friends that I would wear a hat I found in such a way, but it sure has been a lucky one -- and we all know hats and other talismans determine how many fish we catch, not our skill level! Well, I'm off to see the wizard.

Phish_ On ,I can afford it too but there is alot to be said for good, old, broke in and proven equipment. I have to admit though at times that I look like an ad for Simms, Richardson,Fishpond,Sage,Columbia, Cortland and several other manufacturers. In the end it really does not matter how we look because the fish could care less.

rrt wrote:
I'll be wearing the old vest, an old pair of hippers that do not leak very much, and a well-worn denim jacket.

That sounds like great attire if you want to get cold in a hurry on a December day?

I like new stuff too but do appreciate things that are "broken in" a little.

Back