new fly line

mute

mute

So i got new 1wt fly line, for my 2wt, so i dont have to use the 5wt line on it anymore. the problem is when i tie my usual nail knot to connect the leader to the fly line and i pull to make sure its tight, it just slides right down the line and off. i dont know if it cause the 1wt line is so skinny compared to the leader then how it was to the 5wt line. So i cut off the leader to thepoint where it gets about the same width as the 1wt line and tied the knot, it was solid then and didint slide off. So i guess ill have to get a higherX leader for now on for the 1 wt line? I guess a 7x would do? Kinda sucks cause i dont remember what size leader this is now that i had so i have nothing to judge by.

Just tie a loop on both and loop them together. Unless you are fishing saltwater, loop to loop will be plenty strong enough adn is very convienient for changing leaders. I just double over the end and tie an overhand knot to form the loops. Here is the correct way to connect the loops.

Loop to Loop Connection

The BUTT of the leader needs to be sized according to the diameter of the end of the fly line. A large diameter extruded leader is not going to match well to a 1 wt. If you want to fish the one weight line, I would recommend tying your own leaders so you can achieve a closer diameter match at the butt end of the leader without having to shorten a manufactured one.

I don't think a 7x manufactured leader is going to be any thinner at the butt end. If anything, you may want to buy the 5x or 6x leader in an extra long length, say 13 ft. or more, then trim back from the butt to a smaller diameter to get an appropriate 9 foot leader.

Now, if the leader is manufactured specifically for a 1 wt, or even a 3 wt, it may have a smaller diameter at the butt, but I have never seen these sold that way.

Build your own leader, most recommendations for normal size fly lines state a .17 for the butt or first section, I would try a .12. .14 butt? The main reason I build my own is that you can adjust the tippet and last 2 or 3 sections to suit your casting stroke!! BTW Our Grannoms are knitting sweaters as we speak!

littlejuniata wrote:
BTW Our Grannoms are knitting sweaters as we speak!

Does that mean the hatch is on, despite the cold or they are hunkered down in their little cacoons knitting?

Mute,

There is a knot that a guy I know uses, don't know the name but diameter don't matter like with the nail knot. It goes sumtin like this...Make a "U" at the end of your fly line. take four inches of the butt end of the leader up through the U, around both sides and back through where it came from...like a square knot. Then tie the butt end with a double hitch and pull it tigh. trim both taks and yer all set.

The problem with this larger butt section is the flyline ain't gonna turn it over. There will not be enuff energy in the fly line to unferl the leader.

Like the others have said...youneed to get a butt section that suits the fly lne.

Maurice
ps, I moved the post here....

So i finally got my new line on my reel and went to try it out today, i was rather dissapointed and didint even think this would be the outcome. Well with the 1wtline on my 2wt rod, i couldnt really cast at all. Took alot of arm strength and the loops wernt tight at all, im rather sad. Going to put my 5wt line back on now :(

Why didn't you get a 2 wt. line? Even a 3 wt. line would be better than underlining a small rod.

Wulff, i got a good deal on the line, so do you think if i put the 1wt line on a 5-6wt rod it would cast fine?

No, that wouldn't work at all. It would be much too light for the flex/strength of the rod, so it wouldn't load the rod. It would be kind of like trying to cast a #16 parachute adams with a spinning rod and mono line. The line and the rod should be close to the same wt., that's what they are designed for. Sometimes you can go up or down one line wt., depending on the rod and the affect you are trying to get, but any more than that won't work well at all. Going up one line wt. would be better than going down one in most cases. You just got a hands-on lesson in what happens if the line is too light for the rod.

Putting your 5wt. line on your 2 wt. rod won't work either. The line will be way too heavy for the rod and the rod will flex too much and won't have strength to throw the line out there. It looks like you'll just have to spend some money on a 2 wt. line!

:( i guess so, its just odd seeing how going up only from 1wt to 2wt would make it perfect. Seeing how skinny and light the 1wt line is, id think the 2wt is just as skinny and light.

And on that note, anyone looking to buy orvis DT 1wt line, lol.

Back