neoprene boots for wet wading

k-bob

k-bob

the evil heat of this summer has convinced me to try wet wading in some smaller streams. I fish in wading boots and they are sized for boot foot waders with neoprene sockies/footies/booties/call em whatever. I like the idea of using the kind of separate neoprene socks that cabelas and other sell, but since they end below water level, can you get them to keep water out without being uncomfortably tight? is this just a sizing issue? thanks

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-waterproof-socks-cabelas-3mm-neoprene-wading-socks-built-gaiters-1.shtml

They're like wetsuits, not drysuits. They're permeable. They'll always let the water through.

Yep; it's a sizing issue...the neoprene booties fill up the space between your feet, socks, and wading boots, that the booties on your waders otherwise would.

When wet wading, I also wear convertible nylon pants. They provide some protection from cuts and scrapes on your legs, and potentially provide some protection from ticks and other bugs...just a thought I wanted to pass on.

I use the Simms neoprene socks. They have the clip to hook onto your boots the same as stockingfoot waders. The Cabela's ones do not. I have a friend who bought the Cabela's brand and took 'em back after 2 outings.
He ended up getting the Simms as well.

thanks yeah I'd rather have those little clips that go to bootlaces. seems that you want a good fit ... if I cant find that, maybe Ill try these redington ones with soles that let water out:

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-waders/accessories/wading-sock/

No that's not the point, you where them to keep your feet from getting blisters, that you'd get by wearing socks. I use them all the time when wet wading.

Dear K-bob,

Like Chaz said the purpose of the wading socks is to fill the space between your regular socks and your wading boots that were bought to fit over stocking foot waders with neoprene booties.

Without something taking up the space your wet socks will bunch up and wallow around and probably wind up giving you blisters.

That being said, the Cabela's socks you have pictured are absolutely watertight and your feet won't get wet, provided you wade no deeper than the top of your wading boots. They are the same as the feet on your waders or an old fashioned pair of neoprenes.

I own those socks and wear them to wet wade, I will caution you that if you have big feet the largest size is going to be very snug on you. They are snug on me with my 12EEEE's.

Edited to add that if gray and turquoise look good on you Orvis has a dandy pair of wading socks in few sizes on sale for dirt cheap.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1P2X&adv=127748&cm_mmc=GoogPLA-_-Prod_feeds-_-Prod_feeds-_-127748&CAWELAID=1019191673&cagpspn=pla

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks... The point of trying wet wading is to avoid hiking in waders in hot weather. But I dont want blisters on those hikes! Clearly, I will need some wading sock inside my wading boots.

I usually fish small mountain streams, but even there I may sometimes have water over the top of my wading boot. That cool water may feel good in heat. But water trapped in wading socks on the hike back from a stream doesn't sounds good.

I will try to find wading socks that either fit so well at calf that they dont let much water in, or let water back out through the sole. I like the idea of the redington ones that are supposed to drain at the sole, but of course they will let water in there too. On those really hot days, 60F water might feel good on the feet.

i wear boot foot hippers for summer wading, get a pair that is not loose i the boot area (dont need heavy socks). I stay cool and dry, plus they afford some protection from the nasties. I got the frog togg ones and they are going on 2 years of abuse and still are like new..

For wet wading I use the same wading shoes I wear with my waders. They fit a little loose, but I wear two pairs of wool socks, and lace the boots up tight, and that works.

Dear K-bob,

I understand what your concern is but I can tell you that it really is a none issue if you wear a properly fitted pair of wading shoes and a pair of those neoprene socks.

Your wading shoes are made to get wet and drain repeatedly. In two or three steps on dry land 99% of the water in them should be gone. The neoprene socks really don't retain much water. That leaves the socks you are wearing between your skin and the neoprene socks. They may hold 3 or 4 ounces of water a piece depending on the socks, but it really isn't an issue.

I've put my wading shoes on at 6:00 AM and fished and walked and drove to new spots and fished again for a full day's worth of daylight.

When you take your wading shoes off after 12 or so hours with wet feet your feet look awful but in 20 minutes they return to normal.

I've been wet wading since I was about 7 years old. I ruined a lot of sneakers and a lot of pairs of socks as a child, but as an adult I can assure you that I've had no trouble whatsoever.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I would add one hint to use the liner socks between your skin and the neoprene socks. eliminates any blister issues when hiking after your feet get wet. Also, if you need to fill more space to make the boots fit better wear a heavy pair of socks between the liners and the neoprene socks.
Rich

Thanks to all, yeah I need to try it... Have some wading pants and will try a few types of neoprene socks. Hopefully next summer won't be as hot also!

I will try these redington neoprene socks. They have gravel guards and clips to go over laces, I like both of those features. I'll have to see about fit, but I poured a few ounces of water in, and the soles do seem to allow drainage out of the sock!

Attachments

• 8020950855_a3c7cdb12c_z.jpg
    8020950855_a3c7cdb12c_z.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 8020954868_b5dc764571_z.jpg
    8020954868_b5dc764571_z.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 2
x2 on the Wading socks. I have simms wading socks and i just use my wading boots with them. Socks are comfortable, although they do get wet. So your feet and regular socks are going to get wet. I like it better then just slogging around in some kind of footwear thats not made for the situation.

It's not an issue, I wear the neoprene socks whenever I'm wet wading and really never even think about the water, it tends to drain out the holes in my boots and/or evaporate. You can always pack a pair of shoes and socks in your vest.

I wet wade the Delaware River all summer long, and wear the shoes from Korkers. Mine are the old torrents but my buddy has the new versions and we abuse these things to no end. Plus the interchangeable soles are a plus.

Back