need a new 10 wt any suggestions

marcq

marcq

so I was out last Friday brought both my 8 and 10 wt fished the 8 for the majority of the time. went to hit the beach and my Winston boron 10 broke right in my hands. so time to get a new rod. looking for something on the cheaper side bellow 300.i was thinking a echo ion of orvis Clearwater. open to all suggestions. oh yea I bought the Winston used so no warranty

Look at a TFO BVK.
http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/bvk-series.html

TFO or:
http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/vapen/
I like my 8wt Reddingto and with the price and warantee its a good deal imo.
GG

I am a TFO fan also,Have not had any problems so far and the price is not bad 5 Years and lots of kings.just a little heavy.

The LLBean Silver Ghost always catches my attention at the store, and I believe it is well reviewed, but I have never cast one. I would certainly go try one if I was in the market, though.

Winstons don't have lifetime warranties?

greenlander wrote:
Winstons don't have lifetime warranties?

Yep, looks like they do.

"Every new Winston boron/graphite and/or graphite fly rod or blank is covered by our original owner Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee against breakage or manufacturer's defects. This warranty is available only to the original owner of boron/graphite and/or graphite fly rods or blanks purchased from an authorized Winston Dealer. This warranty covers, at Winston's option, the repair of the original rod or the replacement of the rod with an equivalent rod only. The warranty is subject to the original owner completing and returning either the warranty card or Warranty Registration Form PDF to Winston within 10 days of purchase. "

Conditional on the warranty card being sent in, but maybe they wouldn't hold you to that, provided you can provide some other proof of purchase.

marcq wrote:
oh yea I bought the Winston used so no warranty

I know, reading is hard.

I cast the Clearwater in an 8 recently vs a BVK and bought the BVK. Both seemed like really good rods for the price but the BVK felt like it had a bit more oomph once I had about 30' of line out. Have heard pretty mixed reviews about the ion.

There was a comment about the TFOs being heavy. The BVK is anything but heavy (very light), but it may or may not be the too you are looking for. It will be great for tossing flies, but maybe not the best lever arm for puling up huge fish from the depths. Depends what you are looking for

While the Winston may not be under warranty, they will repair it for a reasonable cost.

I,am just just using a signature,its a little heavy but I still like it 10ft 9wt.and it will pull fish from the deep.

I have a cabela's HDT in the 10wt flavor. Now that I have the right line on it, I really like it. Definitely not the Sage 10wt I've fished with, but it's a stout rod that's for sure. Not too heavy either.

I wouldn't want to go from a Boron to an HDT though...

+1 for trying to get them to fix it

Send the Winston back, they will fix it under the warranty

Scott S4S is a wonderful 10 wt also

Redington Predator

FWIW, the new Winston website indicates non-warranty repairs are $150.

If your rod is not covered under the Unconditional Guarantee, Winston can still service your rod for a standard repair fee of $150.00. You will first need to fill out the Non-Warranty Service Form.

http://winstonrods.com/category/about-winston/warranty.php

There is a form to fill out for non-warranty repairs.

If you are buying a new rod and not repairing the 10wt I will buy it from you.

Marc - how'd it break ? on a blue ?

if it was casting then yeah i'd junk it. some rods (sage...cough...cough) are just not up to the job and design flawed.

I have a Greys Platinum XD and love it. around $270.

I have cast the TFO BVK and that is a nice stick too.

i'd also look at the older sage rods on Ebay or Speypages - RPL, RPL+ RPLi RPLXi - but not the Xi2 or Xi3 - overpriced junk.

I have a 11wt RPL+ and it casts a 350gr line like a dream.

Back