looking for feedback on waders....

krayfish

krayfish

Since I've dropped the ball on getting a pair of G3's at clearance, I've found 2 other pair on clearance but haven't used either brand. I'm looking for feedback on the Orvis Pro Guides and the Patagonia Watermaster models. If you've owned or do own either, give me some pros and cons. Back up pair for my G3's that have quite a few miles on them.

question is- will other stores discount closer to the 2014 release date?
worth waiting?

I suppose someone might reduce the prices. I imagine most retailers will milk it for all it's worth. Shouldn't complain since I got my pair at 50% off. Guy wore them once salmon fishing and decided it wasn't for him. "give me $200 and they are yours"...DONE

Andy if those patagonia's have the adjustable straps then get them. Those are my next waders when my Sonic Pros are toast. My friend has the Patagonias and the adjustable strap is an awesome feature and he is going on his 3rd season with them. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair when my sonic pros leaked on my last trip to the D. Luckily Border Waters were cleaned out of waders and Redington replaced mine under warranty.

I don't think that model has the adjustable strap feature after doing some looking around. Bummer because that feature is really nice like my sonic pros you don't have to take your vest/pack off to take a ****.

Starting the 3rd season with my Orvis Pro Guides which is pretty good for me. If you can get a good price I would say go for it..

Bill A

I looked at those sonic pro waders. They look decent and the price isn't bad. They holding up ok for you? don't know if or when the G3's will wear out. They are pretty heavy duty and probably one of the best purchases I've made.

krayfish wrote:
I looked at those sonic pro waders. They look decent and the price isn't bad. They holding up ok for you? don't know if or when the G3's will wear out. They are pretty heavy duty and probably one of the best purchases I've made.

I have the Sonic Pros and love them. Will PM you my review.

And although I haven't seen them in person yet, the new Orvis zipper fronts that replaced the pro guides look like a killer value for the price.

I also owned the Pro Guides, and didn't think much of them. Nothing particularly awful, just overly heavy and bulky and didn't breathe all that well.

I love the sonic pros and they worked great until the zipper blew out on me in the methodist pool back in early august. Redingtion replaced them for me though for the 30.00 warranty fee. I guess you have to unzip the zipper fully everytime you get in and out or the zipper will eventually fail.

My next waders will the be the patagonias with the adjustable strap clips where you can easily convert them to full waders to down at your waist.

Simms original guide waders +8 years have tons of trips on them purchased replacements back when guides were on close out about 4 years ago they are still like new with 3 outing on them. Yes I do routine maintenance on them every year with aqua seal on pin holes. got to love the rubbing alcohol trick with goretex. Wife has the black foot waders when they were made in the USA she, got her fair share out of them too. about 7 years. auquaseal and revive-X are necessary for extended use.

andy, I found a website that advertised all remaining stock will be on clearance in November... I googled g3 on clearance. sorry I do not have the link for the site but if I stumble across it I will post it.
do you guys have any feedback on the g3 pants? I have the headwater pant waders and love them, the only place I have been so far where I was limited where I could go was on the west branch of the deleware.

I had problems with the orvis pro guides - and definitely would give them a thumbs down.

Back