leader to fly line connection

L

LeboFish

Hi All -

I brand spanking new to this fly fishing business so I hope this question makes some kind of sense.

I have a tapered leader with a loop on the end. I want to do a loop to loop connection to my fly line. I figure I want to nail knot a 6" piece of line to my fly line and give it a loop. What I can't figure out is what size (how heavy) that small piece of line should be and is it just a piece of mono?. I'm using WF5F fly line, have a 5X leader.

Thanks

There may be someone out there with more precise knowledge, but you want that short piece to be at least as thick or slightly thicker than the butt of the leader. You can compare tham by sight, but I'm thinking you want at least 30 lb. monofilament.

Another option, if you can tie a nice perfection loop would be to remove the loop by clipping just below it, then nail knot the butt of the leader to the line. When you get to the point you want to change the leader, cut it while leaving 7-8 inches attached to the line, then make a perfection loop in the end of the remainder and use it to loop-to-loop your next leader.

Jack gave you the most logical answer - nail knot the leader to the fly line and cut it and tie in a loop when you can change leaders.

Since you are new to FF you may not have fly tying tools or thread. If you do, here are instructions on whip finishing a loop on the end of your fly line:

- Cut the end of you fly line at a sharp angle

- Fold the fly line over to form a small loop

- Put a small amount of super glue on the end of the fly line

- Bind the base of the loop together with fly tying thread

- Whip finish

- Coat the thread with Knot Sense, Dave’s flexament or something similar

It’s easy to do if you are a fly tyer and have a bobbin and whip finisher. The loop slides easily through the tip top and eyes, floats well, and has never come undone, unlike the braided loops that are sold. Some line mfg are now selling line with a welded loop already formed in the line. Give it a try. Good luck with your fly fishing.

I actually use a short piece of braided backing nail knotted to the fly line as my loop (Gray's Loop). Works for me!

I found the heavy mono at the butt of a leader makes a nail knot that's though to get through your guides. I don't trust the slip on braided loops.

Here are some alternatives Line2Leader

Good knots here knots including the Gray's loop knot I use to make a loop from backing at the end of my fly line.

I nail knot a piece of 20 - 25 lb mono to the fly line with a surgeon's loop on the other end to do exactly what you are suggesting. Then I can loop-to-loop any leader I want and change leaders in a flash. 6" or so does the trick. Taught to me by a veteran years ago. If you want to be precise, measure the width of the butt end of your leader and make the connection the same as or slightly thicker. I just have a couple of spools of at least 20 and use it.

Thanks all, that's what I needed to know. Appreciate the advice, I'm sure I'll be back for more.

for 5wt and smaller i use the whitlock method, run a piece of mono thorugh the tip and glue it no knots at all.. :-D

Sandfly's method is the best i found for3-6 wts. it has held up for me under alot of stress. all the methods posted will work well. these guys know their stuff!!

Hey Sandfly probably drove past your shop a million times. Do you have a sign? I'll be up your way in August & October. Depending how I'm doing I may come in for a lesson. :-D

The most common alternative is the "braided leader loop" which is slid over the end of the fly line, and locked in place by then sliding a tubular plastic section over top. In some types, this is made from heat-shrink plastic, and holding it over a mild heat source will shrink-fit it tightly in place.

Yup nice Big one now so marice can find me too..... :-D
check my web site for directions...

Here is a site with every fishing knot you will ever need

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=

So I nail knotted (4 tries...lol) a piece of 30lb to the line and put a perfection loop on the other end. I know 30lbs is to heavy cause the loops to damn stiff but I had it laying around and I couldn't get to the store. I need to get practicing....lol

I think I'm gonna try OlyphantLacky route next time. (Flyshack is out of stock.) The nail knot with 30lb was a pain in the arse, let alone with something thinner. I have some shopping to do. :-D

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure I'll need more.

I hope folks don't mind I don't start a new thread but I have another question. Knowledge or at least perceived knowledge is dangerous.

I currently have as mentioned before WF5F line. So if I want to use a say size 20 - 22 fly my line I figure should be 4 weight. Could I put 4 weight line with more backing on a reel that rates at wt. 5-6 and rates at 120 yds./20 lb. w/WF6?

BTW, my wife thinks I'm studying for a masters degree with all the reading and research. Won't she be disappointed when she finds out I'm just trying to catch fish. :-o :)

LeboFish,

I don't think the weight of the flyline is the most important factor. More important is the size of the tippet. There's a rule of thumb that says divide the hook size by 3 and the result is the approximate tippet size. For example, you want to fish a size 22 fly and 22 / 3 ~= 7 so you should fish 7X tippet. Even this rule is not hard and fast. I would use 6X unless I thought the fish were extremely leader shy.

Anyway, while I might be reluctant to fish a #22 fly on a 9 weight setup, I wouldn't hesitate to fish it on my 5 weight setup. Similarly, I probably wouldn't enjoy stripping size 2 streamers on my 2 weight setup, but I am comfortable with a #12 light Cahill on the 2 weight when that's what the fish want.

Hope this helps!

Albattross is right Dude. Tippet size to fly size. He's also right about not hard and fast. I never go below 6X myself, but be careful with bigger flies. A tippet too small for a bigger fly will twist and really screw things up.

My wife thinks I have a doctorate, but I still learn something new almost every time out. Enjoy yourself and enjoy the learning experience. It will go on as long as you fly fish. It's part of the fun.

Thanks for all the replies. Damn my casting needs a lot of work....lol

So after attaching a piece of mono to the fly line and tying a loop to the end, do you tie a perfection or surgeons loop to the end of the leader as well?

Doesn't matter much. A surgeons loop is slightly easier to tie. A perfection loop makes the line come out straight from the apex of the loop, with a surgeons it is kinked to one side. I use the perfection loop when doing the nail knot- mono loop thing.

However, I now use mostly brightly colored whipped loops in my fly line finished with permagloss. Easy as pie, floats high, turns over well, especially in close casts, and is a built in strike indicator.....I've tried all the above methods and this is my favorite.

I know this is off topic but I since I started this thread and I didn't want to start a new post I'll just add it here.

For those who gave advice it didn't go in vain. 1st trout via fly fishing. Little Kettle Creek, Blue Winged Olive. :-D

Click Here!

Back