Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: leader to fly line connection

From West Chester PA
Albattross is right Dude. Tippet size to fly size. He's also right about not hard and fast. I never go below 6X myself, but be careful with bigger flies. A tippet too small for a bigger fly will twist and really screw things up.

My wife thinks I have a doctorate, but I still learn something new almost every time out. Enjoy yourself and enjoy the learning experience. It will go on as long as you fly fish. It's part of the fun.

Posted on: 2007/7/23 15:45

Thanks for all the replies. Damn my casting needs a lot of work....lol

Posted on: 2007/7/24 22:01

So after attaching a piece of mono to the fly line and tying a loop to the end, do you tie a perfection or surgeons loop to the end of the leader as well?

Posted on: 2007/7/26 21:11

From Ohio
Doesn't matter much. A surgeons loop is slightly easier to tie. A perfection loop makes the line come out straight from the apex of the loop, with a surgeons it is kinked to one side. I use the perfection loop when doing the nail knot- mono loop thing.

However, I now use mostly brightly colored whipped loops in my fly line finished with permagloss. Easy as pie, floats high, turns over well, especially in close casts, and is a built in strike indicator.....I've tried all the above methods and this is my favorite.

Posted on: 2007/7/26 21:30

I know this is off topic but I since I started this thread and I didn't want to start a new post I'll just add it here.

For those who gave advice it didn't go in vain. 1st trout via fly fishing. Little Kettle Creek, Blue Winged Olive.

Click Here!

Posted on: 2007/8/27 21:02

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
LeboFish,

Congratulations! Welcome to the fraternity...

Posted on: 2007/8/27 23:22

Guest_
CONGRATS, LeboFish!
"The first trout on the Long Rod", is always a great thrill and one I bet NONE of us, has ever forgotten, either!
Don't know, if you tie yet, but that's the NEXT great and wonderful, thrill of this religion/art form/sport, whatever it is, we do............will be!! When you hook, play and (hopefully net), that first trout on a fly created by your own hand!!
As, stated, "welcome" and may you never look back!
(or, add up, what you'll spend!)

Posted on: 2007/8/28 5:13

From Room 109
A suggestion when adding the mono to the end of the fly line is to use a colored piece. My shop uses a red mono. I like it as it acts as an indicator.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 10:02

LeboFish- very nice, this stuff never gets old.

Question:

I learned to build leaders with some nailed amnesia with a 60-20-20 formula blood knotted.

My question is what is the purpose of loop to loop?? Is it for a quick leader change? If so, does the fly line presentation suffer with the limp loop to loop connection? Would'nt be easier to just blood knot on a different leader setup on?? How dramatic could the leader change be, where you would change the whole leader?

Just never tried it really. International Angler in Pgh,Pa recommends the loop to loop. Thanks

Posted on: 2007/8/28 16:08

Hey Acristickid -

As you may of read, I'm brand spanking new to this sport. Being so I'm trying to focus on basic points, casting and covering (lol), rather than the more delicate aspects of the sport right now.

With that said and also being new to knot tying, I reasoned that a loop to loop would be the easiest to mend out on the water for me (if I should break my leader or if I would want to change size). I feel more comfortable now with just slipping 2 pre-made loops together. I had nail knotted a piece of mono on with a loop which I made and that took me a few tries. (Although I replaced it with a braided slip on leader loop. The loop is more relaxed than my mono loop) For me right now simple and uncomplicated is the order of the day. That way I don't forget why I'm out there, to relax and enjoy. With more experienced I'll begin to experiment more with knots, presentation etc.

As far as presentation of a loop to loop connection, I defer to the more accomplished anglers in the forum. I don't have enough experience to dictate the difference.

Hope this answers at least part of your question.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 19:44

Lebo- I am by no means am I an expert or even an accomplised angler of any stretch in my mind; especially with knots. And my casting isnt that good either. I try to learn as much as possible. Any success I have is because of trying new things and keeping at it. When I first started fly fishing it was always with a group of my buddies, so asking for guidance was easy. However; they would leave you standing in a hole and be out of sight if you asked too much of anything. We still get out as much as possible and it is fun.

Hopefully some others will have thoughts about my question. Later

Posted on: 2007/8/28 21:00

No problem. I hope I didn't sound as if I was being defensive. Just trying to explain my skill level.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 22:42

From Greensburg, PA
I still like loop to loop after a couple of decades and find it easy to replace the leader as Lebo said. I would never use a blood knot to tie the leader to the line. The diameters are are too different in size and you'd end up stripping the coating off the flyline while tightening it anyway. Some like nail knots and I have done that but ended up just having to cut it off to change leaders anyway. Anything that makes it easier to fix in the dark up to my @$$ in moving water is good enough for me.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 9:08

Lebo- no need to worry to about a thingt. Fishing is all for fun.

Tom- thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Try to learn new things everyday. Paul

Posted on: 2007/8/29 9:36

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com