Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: gear selection.for Erie Steelhead

From Ohio
A 10' 7 wt is ideal for steelhead fishing. The 10' rod gives you more reach and greater line control permitting longer drag free drifts. I would say any rod from 6-8 wt would work. You may feel under gunned with a 6 wt and a hot fish running for the lake, but it can be done. I would want at least a 9' rod. I use a 10' 7 wt when I fish a single hand rod for steelhead. I hope that helps.

Posted on: 2/11 7:30

What boychick says is ideal,10' 7 wt is the best.More important than the rod is the reel,it must have a strong smooth drag.

Posted on: 2/13 0:52

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

troutwilleatflies wrote:
What boychick says is ideal,10' 7 wt is the best.More important than the rod is the reel,it must have a strong smooth drag.

I used to think this, and by all means if you like a good drag use one, but Ive used 2 click/pawl reels for steelhead now for a few years and I dont feel like I'm at any disadvantage. Plus I love the sound when a fish takes off. Again, not disagreeing. Different reels for different folks is all.

Posted on: 2/13 2:05

From Erie
I live in erie and let me tell you that all the creeks are frozen and there is about 18 inches of ice on the bay. When the average temp is only 15 out it makes it pretty tough to fish. Tuesday's temp was -22 in the morning and warmed up to about 11. Ice fishing is good though haha.

Posted on: 2/13 6:06

From Lewisburg
Fishman12992 - so odds are that if the weather continues like this, there may be no fly fishing for me (or anyone) in march. Ice fishing is a no go for this guy.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I found a relatively cheap set up from L.L. Bean that I might go with. Its a 9' 7weight. Figure it'll treat me alright for bass on the Susquehanna (a half mile from my place) this summer, as well as the steelies. Might buy my friends old 8weight as a back up too.

Again thank you all. Very grateful for all the help

Posted on: 2/14 6:34

From Ohio
Quote:

strap44 wrote:
Fishman12992 - so odds are that if the weather continues like this, there may be no fly fishing for me (or anyone) in march. Ice fishing is a no go for this guy.

Looking at the forecast for Erie next week it's going to be in the 40s with rain. That will likely cause massive ice jams and flooding, but once the creeks recede it'll be game on. If we don't get any more crazy cold weather after the thaw we should be fishing the tribs by March.

Posted on: 2/14 9:37

From Ohio
My fingers are crossed!

Posted on: 2/16 10:16

From Erie Co.
With this winter freezing up 90% of the surface of Great Lakes my bet is the long term forecast will be not accurate.

I a fan of a 6 wt 9' with a fighting butt. I've found a rod 10' or longer makes landing a fish(tailing) more difficult especially if alone. Only way I've found that dose not harm the fish or cause the rod tip to bend dangerously close to braking is with a long handle net. It works well but just one more thing to carry.

Reels, use whatever you like. I have used $30 to $300 reels and all land fish.

Posted on: 2/16 13:31

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
If this is Erie steel only, I'll second the notion of the 10 ft 7 wt being the go to. Also that this is one instance where having a good reel with a powerful and smooth drag is really important. How the rod casts? Not nearly as important. These are not large streams, even Elk. Nor are they brushy. Casting is easy. The name of the game is being able to get a good drag free drift (10 footer helps there), then being able to land the fish.

Thus, having a soft tip is a big plus to protect tippets, while still having some backbone, and a good reel. Beyond that it's just experience.

If you have thoughts of expanding to NY salmon, you could opt for an 8 wt to try and cover both bases. And in NY or Ohio, bigger rivers do exist, so castability of the rod comes into play more.

Posted on: 2/16 16:47

Strap, check your inbox

Posted on: 2/20 1:58

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com