gear selection.for Erie Steelhead

strap44

strap44

Im trying to piece together a decent set up for fishing steelhead next month in Erie. For anyone that's familiar with the area I'll be fishing elk creek mostly and some on walnut. I know the rod weight most recommended is #7 & #8. Is there a recommended length? I have found some cheap south korean and chinese rods on ebay for less than $100, wonder how they'd work.

I currently fish an 8'6" #5 for trout and am thinking the creeks/streams up there are about the same size as the trout streams i fish and the 8'6" is fine. Still new to fly fishing so I'm open to all advise. But I know a guy who's willing to part with an old 8'6" #8 and I'm just wondering if that'll work for Erie steelhead. Or at least be a sufficient back up if I do get something else.

Thanks again for any and all help.

-Strap

P.S.- this weather needs to end soon, time to wet some lines

You may need an ice auger.

As far as rod length goes, 9' seems about ideal to me. You can get away with a shorter or longer rod though. Probably be drifting nymphs or egg patterns and I think the longer rod helps keep line off the water and lessen drag.

Seriously, without a real warm up I would think those streams will have significant ice for some time to come. Any fresh fish will have trouble coming in until the huge ice jams that form at the mouth are finally blown out.

strap44 wrote:
Im trying to piece together a decent set up for fishing steelhead next month in Erie. For anyone that's familiar with the area I'll be fishing elk creek mostly and some on walnut. I know the rod weight most recommended is #7 & #8. Is there a recommended length? I have found some cheap south korean and chinese rods on ebay for less than $100, wonder how they'd work.

I currently fish an 8'6" #5 for trout and am thinking the creeks/streams up there are about the same size as the trout streams i fish and the 8'6" is fine. Still new to fly fishing so I'm open to all advise. But I know a guy who's willing to part with an old 8'6" #8 and I'm just wondering if that'll work for Erie steelhead. Or at least be a sufficient back up if I do get something else.

Thanks again for any and all help.

-Strap

P.S.- this weather needs to end soon, time to wet some lines

At 9' - 10' 7wt would be perfect, but I suggest you buy the 8'6" 8wt from your buddy...it'll work fine. Save your $, and if you really get into the chromers, buy a decent outfit after you have logged some hours on the stream and have some experience.

Can't help with the weather, tho....:roll:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-RLS-Fly-Combo/1555116.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480

this is what i picked up late in the summer, and right now i dont think you can beat the price. $200 is steep for a once a year rod, but i get plenty of mileage in the summer throwing big streamers for smallmouth as well. this rod has been excellent for me in Erie all winter, turns over bulky indicator set ups and large streamer well. If you can get some mileage out of it in the summer i think it'd be worth your while to pick up.

On a different note, and I'm still new with the Erie area and regs, but someone please tell me im wrong- Since Elk is an approved trout stream, is it not closed to all fishing from March 1 til opening day... 20 mile too??

I normally use a 9' 7wt bamboo, but broke it again last fall and had to go back to the old reliable which is an 8' 5/6 WT St Croix which I bought used from a friend for $50. I've probably caught more with the St' Croix than with any other rod. Moderate action. It works fine, but not ideal. Longer would be better, and slightly heavier. Not for fighting fish, but for chucking shot.

As far as your approved trout waters question goes, I believe Elk creek, that part which is in Erie County is only closed April 11 to opening hour 8:00am on April 12.

Here is a link to the Erie tribs regulations so you can interpret it yourself.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summaryad/lakeerie.html

McSneek wrote:

You're not kidding. I drove around up there over the weekend. There were 5 or so guys standing on the lake about 40' out ice fishing at Avonia. No open water at all. You can walk to Canada.

Another vote for 9' or 10' 7wt here.

turkey wrote:
McSneek wrote:

You're not kidding. I drove around up there over the weekend. There were 5 or so guys standing on the lake about 40' out ice fishing at Avonia. No open water at all. You can walk to Canada.

But were they catching anything. I do have an auger.

You can walk to Canada but it's not recommended. LMAO

You don't need anything special, as far as a rod. I would put exra muney into a reel with a decent drag. 9' - 10" 7wt or 6wt would be good for the tribs. Also I would recomend a mediuim or mediuim-fast action rod. Check on ebay for some deals.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like buy-in the 8'6" #8 is something I should do. Im looking forward to getting up there, but only if the weather warms a bit between now and then. I was up last march and it snowed about a foot the night before, kept having to break ice off the eyelets & line every few casts, but the creeks werent froze over.

Gonna keep my eyes peeled for a 9'6"-10' #7. Any suggestion on streamer patterns for up there? So far I've gathered pink, purple, black - wooly boogers & egg sucking leeches

Thanks again guys. Big help so far

I've done very well, consistently, with a white rabbit zonker or a white bugger dead drifted. Of course if the water is dirty I pick purple or black over white.

I use a 9' 8wt rod with a large arbor reel. Anything over 9' should be fine, but you might get away with an 8'6" 5wt. I wouldn't go any lighter than that though as there are some monsters in those creeks. The large arbor reels definitely help.

One of the special 'nymph' rods could be nice, especially on elk. Walnut, which is the 2nd largest creek and substantially smaller than Elk, might not call for it. I've never used a rod over 9 ft.. Infact, I started on 16-mile with an 8 footer. Those creeks are only med. sized to med/small trout stream sized. I can't imagine you would ever need an 8 wt. A med-fast-ish 9 ft. 6 wt would be good, even better if it had a fighting butt. A 9 ft. 6 , 6 wt with a fighting butt would be about the best. I don't know if such a creature exists. If the water is up, fast and murky, a 6 wt. should handle a 7 wt line fine. You're only flopping and roll casting split shot and sucker spawn , egg flies and such. So a 6 wt rod with a 7 wt line could load the rod well and making roll casting a bottom-bouncing rig really easy. That being said, I have fished all those streams a LOT (I live just over an hour south) and can't specifically remember when I used 7 wt line on my 6 wt Sage RPL (for 'speed' reference).
What ever you do, just keep moving until you find active fish (if there ARE active fish hanging around. Doesn't always happen. ) And when you hook a fish, fight them down and dirty. Fight them with the butt of the rod low and down to the side. Try to drag them over the bottom and that will land the fish the fastest and best. 4X and 5X tippet is all I would recommend. Don't 'horse' them in, but don't be shy either. Once you get 2 or 3 to hand and if you have any sense about you, you'll see how to land 'em.
Best of luck!
syl

I can't imagine you would ever need an 8 wt.

If I had purchased a rod strictly for steelhead fishing in Erie, I probably would have gone with a 6wt, but I wanted a rod I could also use for big bass and stripers, and even muskies, if I ever get one of them on a fly rod. Overall, I'm very happy with my 8wt, but I also have a 5wt and now a 3wt.

The rods I have are as follows:

Reddington Voyant 9' 8wt 4pc - Used for steelhead, large bass, stripers, etc. - paired with a Lamson Konic 3.5 reel with 8wt line.

Field & Stream 9' 5wt 2pc - used this to learn on. I picked the rod up for $5.00 and it has served me very well so far! - paired with a Lamson Konic 2 reel with 5wt line

Orvis 7'6" 3wt 4pc - just got this one a few weeks ago. I'm going crazy waiting for the water to thaw so I can try it out. -paired with an Orvis Battenkill II reel with 4wt line.

pm busterwantstofish, he has some combos for sale in the sale forum that are decent quality and are ready to be fished for cheap and is located in Erie.

A 10' 7 wt is ideal for steelhead fishing. The 10' rod gives you more reach and greater line control permitting longer drag free drifts. I would say any rod from 6-8 wt would work. You may feel under gunned with a 6 wt and a hot fish running for the lake, but it can be done. I would want at least a 9' rod. I use a 10' 7 wt when I fish a single hand rod for steelhead. I hope that helps.

What boychick says is ideal,10' 7 wt is the best.More important than the rod is the reel,it must have a strong smooth drag.

troutwilleatflies wrote:
What boychick says is ideal,10' 7 wt is the best.More important than the rod is the reel,it must have a strong smooth drag.

I used to think this, and by all means if you like a good drag use one, but Ive used 2 click/pawl reels for steelhead now for a few years and I dont feel like I'm at any disadvantage. Plus I love the sound when a fish takes off. Again, not disagreeing. Different reels for different folks is all.

I live in erie and let me tell you that all the creeks are frozen and there is about 18 inches of ice on the bay. When the average temp is only 15 out it makes it pretty tough to fish. Tuesday's temp was -22 in the morning and warmed up to about 11. Ice fishing is good though haha.

Fishman12992 - so odds are that if the weather continues like this, there may be no fly fishing for me (or anyone) in march. Ice fishing is a no go for this guy.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I found a relatively cheap set up from L.L. Bean that I might go with. Its a 9' 7weight. Figure it'll treat me alright for bass on the Susquehanna (a half mile from my place) this summer, as well as the steelies. Might buy my friends old 8weight as a back up too.

Again thank you all. Very grateful for all the help

Back