flyline to leader question

govtmule

govtmule

i have this old south bend package with metal connectors.... you basically screw it into the end of your flyline and it has an eye on the end where you connect your leader...anyone ever use one? with all my snagging i think id tear it off or do some serious damage to my line....i dont like the braided connectors that you heat...been using the old nail knot which im not great at tying but id like to keep the heavy but section there and maybe just perfection loop that to my leader....thoughts?

jeff

Afish got me whip finishing loops into the end of my fly line, and I will never look back.

Cut the end of the fly line at an angle so joins nicely, fold over into a small loop, and then wrap it with some heavy duty tying thread. Whip finish and coat with knotsense or super glue and you're set.

I can show you at the lehigh valley gathering if you want.

JayL - I like the looks of that method but found it sinks too quickly.
Govtmule - I wouldn't trust those screw-in eyes, either, but when I used to work at FCO, a lot of the old timers really liked them.
I just do the nail knot, coat it with watershed, then seal with flex cement. If you use a really small tube to tie the nail knot, it makes it a lot easier.

I'm a perfection loop guy.

Rio lines come with them.

If a perfection seems to hard to you a overhand knot is extrememly easy and won't slide out.

I like to tie a piece of amnesia on with a nail knot (about 6 ") with a perfection loop to connect my leader. It is also a good strike indcator

jay.. sounds interesting.

I'm with the perfection loop. Nail knot a leader on once, use it until it gets too short. Clip remaining leader so 6 inches remains (this is the butt section of your leader), tie perfection loop. Loop to loop all leaders in the future.

The only downfall to this is getting your fly line out past the last guide at times, but eventually, you will tie your loops small, and get the feel for getting the line out with ease.

A friend of mine uses the amnesia method, but I'm not sold on it. He uses loop to loop connections the entire way down the taper, even for pseudo-chrome, and rarely breaks off. No more triple surgeons sounds nice, but the bulk from the loops isn't worth it to me.

skiltonian wrote:
JayL - I like the looks of that method but found it sinks too quickly.

This makes no sense, should sink less as you've doubled the line up.. Are you sealing the end of the fly line where you cut it off?

Anyways, I tried this but wasn't pleased with it for an entirely different reason, I just don't remember what it was. I nail knot some mono on the end of the fly line with a permanent loop in it.

I like the braided loop connectors with the shrink tubing the best , my second choice , and the best back up is a nail knot. The straw from a can of WD-40 , the skinny red one , cut in half or so , is a good tool for tying a nail knot and fits in a leader wallet. I like the braided connectors 'cause they float well when treated with floatant and i've only ever had one failure that wasn't a fault of my own.

It's been a long time since I've see one of those metal eyes. The ones I remember had little barbs on them so they wouldn't pull out of the fly line. If I remember though, they would rust and break off.

I don't mind the braided loops but I don't like the shrink tubes--if used, I nail knot the braided loop to the flyline. And you have to keep an eye out for wear on the loop--they will start to frizzle a bit and then it's time to change it or the loop will pull apart.

Back