fly tying vice

S

stankline

Looking for a good fly tying vise and/or suggustion on what to get n where been tying since Jan

Hard to beat a Regal rotary or pedestal if the swivel head is too pricey. They are quite a few knock-off Regals on the market for $60 - $75. Just never know if they used good tool steel for the jaws and even if they did were they hardened and tempered properly. Good heat treated tool steel jaws will last a lifetime.

I bought my Regal stationary head vice about 20 years ago for $65.00. I just looked on-line and found the same vise for $16.00. Wow, that is a heck of a price increase.

I am sending you a PM with a link for the knock-off.

Lots of help on line. Use your favorite web browser and search "fly tying vise reviews". You will get a lot of hits. I found one site a few years ago and they touted the Peak which was in my price range. I got it and really like it. Good luck with your search.

Peak or anvil. Good for the price and quality too

I bought the generic Regal looking vise at Bass Pro. It was about $50.00. It holds hooks well and adjusts ok. I had to rework the table clamp, it would NOT hold still while tying. I ground the top inside of the clamp to make it square to the table top, then glued a piece of rubber to keep it firm and non-marring. Honestly, I just should have bought a better vise, but I have a hard time spending more because I am a very casual tyer.

I'm a Renzetti guy myself. Can't beat the Presentation 2000.

First question.... whats the budget?

I use the Renzetti Traveler and will probably never out-grow it. You will get lots of suggestions. Try as many as you can before you buy.

One suggestion: Search for vise, not vice.
Fly Tying becomes a vice best done on a vise. (That's for my English teacher father-in-law) :)

Rotary.

A lot depends on your budget.

Also Rotary vs True Rotary.
Rotary vise HMH, Regal are not really a true rotary vise. The hook shank does not line up on the rotating axis. Test one out first

True Rotary are
Dyna-King Barracuda, Trekker(cheaper version of Barracuda)
Atlas Vise by wolff fly fishing
Renzetti Presentation and Traveler

In my opinion Dyna-King comes out as the best. The hook can be lined up with the rotating axis so no shank wobble. Next it is all steel. Some have plastic washers inside.

Back