fly reels orvis vs lamson

R

roho1

looking for new 6 wt reel perfomance and weight a big issue 250 is limit on pocket book any help appreciated thanks

I like both companies for reels. It comes down 'value.' You can get the lamson velocity in 5/6 weight for $249 plus a free line of your choice.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products/Lamson/Lamson-Velocity-Hard-Alox-Reel#.USqP1KJJ-qI

Pretty hard to beat this deal, getting a free $75.00 line. Lifetime warranty on the reel as well.

Lamson, I purchased a Guru Limited Black edition off Amazon for $148. I see now they are back to $200. The Guru is highly regarded for their price and drag system. I plan to try to test the drag in a few weeks up on the Delaware once spring break starts the 18th.

Another vote for Lamson.

also lamson. my opinion on some of the orvis reels is the drag is either too loose and free spooling or too tight for my taste. just wasnt a fan of them.

that being said I do fish an orvis battenkill but the drag is broken.

I have several Orvis reels in 3/4 wts and several big fish Orvis reels in 7/8 wts. They work great. I own two Lamson Litespeeds and they are also great reels. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.......I bought both Litespeeds used and saved alot of money.

Lamson is a reel company, Orvis is a rod company. I own 4 lamsons. Won't ever buy anything else.

Yes but they make great reels as well. I own 4 of them in various sizes. 3wt, 6wt, 8wt and 10wt.

I like the Orvis Hydros Large Arbor. It's $255 for 5/6 wt.

3R5TF1VF.jpg

Lamson Guru as becker stated. You will never regret it.

If it matters to you, the Guru is made in the USA and Orvis reels are made in Korea.

Also,
If you want to buy spare spools down the road, it may become harder to find one for the Orvis reel as opposed to the Lamson.
Same as if it breaks, Lamson would likely be fixed and Orvis would just refund your money. If you happened to buy extra spools now and your reel breaks, Orvis may only give you a refund for the reel leaving you with useless extra spools.

I have a Guru as well and like it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the handle felt too small. That was easily fixed though, I just swapped it with my spare Orvis one.

I own reels from both companies, but prefer Lamson primarily because of the performance of the drag.

Almost if not all of Orvis reels have what's know as a spare spool that you can purchase.

I also own 2 Lamson Gurus, as well as several Orvis reels. They are all good, but the value is with the Guru. For it's price range, you can't beat it.

Glad to hear all the praise about the Lamson Guru , got one for a gift in exchange for a "Lifetime" TU membership , can't wait to get out thee and try it.

thanks for all the feedback LAMSON WINS

Back