Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: flourocarbon tippet

I might have to rethink my pro flouro stance.
Just lost a twenty plus red when knot in flouro slipped-don't think it would have in mono.
Wrong tackle but a knot is a knot-lol

Posted on: 2009/3/9 11:06

From Greensburg, PA
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but the guy from Froghair told me that its not a good idea to mix the two. Sometimes, according to him, the floro will cut through the mono at the knot. Kind of like trying to spin deer hair with Kevlar thread...

Posted on: 2009/3/9 11:09

Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but the guy from Froghair told me that its not a good idea to mix the two. Sometimes, according to him, the floro will cut through the mono at the knot. Kind of like trying to spin deer hair with Kevlar thread...

I have heard that as well but forgot about it.

When I did use fluro though I used a fluro leader as well.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 11:10

From lancaster county
Well you have two options to play them differntly than just playing them longer.

1) when sight fishing, think of a plan of attack and make cenerios in your head. ex: If the fish moves this way i can bank him almost immdeiately by swinging my rod this way. Thats just one example but it works.

2) Do what i do and use a full flex rod. Full flex rods protect tippets better than fast action rods.

Either way, i never have a problem with breaking off using 6x and 7x flouro. BTW 8x is way way too small.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 13:22

Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Well you have two options to play them differntly than just playing them longer.

1) when sight fishing, think of a plan of attack and make cenerios in your head. ex: If the fish moves this way i can bank him almost immdeiately by swinging my rod this way. Thats just one example but it works.

2) Do what i do and use a full flex rod. Full flex rods protect tippets better than fast action rods.

Either way, i never have a problem with breaking off using 6x and 7x flouro. BTW 8x is way way too small.

Your 1) I can see working very well for small 8-10 inch fish. But if you hook into a big fish....I am not sure you can dictate the fight right off the bat to make 1) work. Whether you have a full flex rod or not.IMHO

If fluro works for u,fine. But I am not convinced it is necessary for trout. Whether they're wild or stocked. Again IMHO

BTW I don't use 8x last time was two years ago, the smallest I go is 6 and on rare occasions 7. I was referring to the guys that fish that stream, not me personally. I predominately use hand tied leaders which I have found work a hell of a lot better than the one mold tapered ones. The only time I wouldn't use one is if there is a butt load of vegetation.

I am not convinced fish are leader shy. I am convinced that it is your presentation.

Me personally...I think fluro is a gimmick.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 14:15

From lancaster county
The next time you go to a crystal clear limestone spring creek on a sunny day, like the Letort, throw you leader in a shallow spot and you will see its shadow. That is where fish become leader shy. Its not that they see it on the surface, they see it on the streambed.

The gimmick is your not supposed to fish a stream like that on a sunny day

Generally speaking, no that wouldnt work for a big fish but then again, thats what the full flex rod comes in Sometimes you can do that to a big fish though. It all depends which way they start to turn. I have beached Lititz Run size trout in less than 30 seconds. Never a bad idea to have a plan regardless.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 14:44

I have gone to Valley on a full sunny day and fished a mono hand tied 4x leader and caught a bunch of fish in gin clear conditions. Not trying to argue with you just stating the truth.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 14:47

From lancaster county
Never said you were wrong. I just told my experiences.

although now thinking about it. I have to imagine that the light refraction of a true limstoen spring creek, such as falling springs, is a bit differnt than that of valley creek. Who knows though im just guessing. I will say that on glassy flat weedy water i wouldnt use knotted leaders. The knots can cause drag and collect weeds(as you stated).

Bottomline, do what works for you. That is the best motto in fishing

Posted on: 2009/3/9 14:48

From Hollidaysburg (originally Lititz)
I like to use fluoro tippet when fishing dries in slower water. If the water is low, clear, and slow I'll even fish a Mirage leader for dries and terrestrials. One thing I've noticed with the smaller diameter fluoro, like 6x and 7x is that the clinch knots sometimes pull through. Improved clinch knots seem to fix the problem. As far as strength, I've found that good knots hold up well, even with mono to fluoro. I've landed several 20+" trout on 5x fluoro tippet. I've also caught several 16+" on 6x fluoro tippet. IMO, fluoro makes a difference, but it can also cause problems with drag when fishing on top. A mono leader with a 12" fluoro tippet has always worked for me when fishing dries. I primarily use Orvis Mirage.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 15:21

From lancaster county
crs,

thats the same stuff i use. The mirage leader and tippet.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 15:33

From Bozeman
I'm with justfish. Fluoro isn't worth a damn. I use it for spanish and blues in the salt because they have great eyesight, and mouths full of teeth. I don't fish the salt enough to know if there's a better way, I also use it salmon and steelheading early in the year for abrasion resistance and visibility, but I'm totally unconvinced that it helps.

For trout, it's too expensive, sucks at knots, and sinks like a stone. Fail, fail, and fail.

So, in short, I've fallen for the hype when it comes to types of fishing that I don't know much about or do that well in. For trout, I've seen no improvements in results with the stuff.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 0:41

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Ok, first, while the refractive index thing may work subsurface, it is of no use on the surface. Sorry. The science says no on that one, have to sink the line for that to work.

The major difference for dry flies are:

1. Flouro is stiffer, which is usually bad for a drag free drift.
2. Flouro tends to sink (which may bring the refractive index thing back into play), mono is either buoyant or neutral.

But the bottom line is that it is very rare, in my experience, to have truly leader shy fish. It is very common to have drag shy fish, and you can reduce drag by going to a lighter tippet, lengthening the tippet, going to a less-stiff tippet (i.e. changing from flouro to mono), altering your leader, casting better, and any number of other things. George Harvey did an experiment once with Japanese beetles. He threw some in the water, and fish ate them. He glued one to a hook and casted, they wouldn't take it. So, he cut pieces of his tippet, and glued them to the bottom of the beetles, the fish took them normally. The point is its not seeing the tippet that matters, its whether the thing floats naturally. I obviously can't say thats the situation 100% of the time, but neither can I say I've ever come across a situation where I thought it wasn't the case, and I have fished the Letort.

I can see where there could be occasionally advantages of flouro in the subsurface game. But dry flies, no way, and especially not when you get to those small flies and need the softest tippet you can get. If you're using 6x flouro and getting lots of refusals, you'll improve as much going to 6x mono as you would to 7x flouro.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 0:57

From Chester County
But Charlie Meck has a different story:

”Almost immediately I began catching trout In an hour I released seven heavy brown trout measuring up to 20 inches long. Meanwhile Bryan and Ken had not caught one trout. We sat down on the bank overlooking the pond and tried to figure out why these two skilled fly fishers had nothing to show for an hour of fishing. They were both skilled fly casters and both reached the brushy bank on the far side of the pond with the same degree of accuracy that I did. They used the same pattern that I used—a Chernobyl Cricket. After a minute or two Bryan and Ken looked at my tippet material and both blurted out almost in unison: "What’s that tippet material?" Both anglers used regular 5X tippet material. During that successful hour I had used a 5X fluorocarbon tippet from Orvis called Mirage (You can click on Orvis in my photo section and order this leader material.) That tippet material seemed to be the only difference in our approach to fly fishing that morning.

I tore off a 2-foot piece of 5X fluorocarbon tippet and gave one to Ken and another to Bryan. They both tied on the new tippet material and began casting. Within an hour Ken and Bryan each caught seven huge brown trout on that new rig. Does flourocarbon really work? You bet it does—especially on or in slow, clear water! After that episode that day we hurried a few miles to Tom Harmon’s Orvis Shop in Sheridan, Montana, and bought every spool of 4 and 5X Mirage he had in the shop. Do an experiment to prove to yourself that flourocarbons are less visible. Place two, three, or four different 4X leaders in a jar and attach a weight like a small bolt or nut to each one. Make certain one of these is a fluorocarbon and the others are not. Put holes through the lid of the jar and add water. Now look at how well you can see the leaders. I did this experiment before a group one day and everybody complained that one of the leaders in the jar was a smaller diameter because they couldn’t see it as well. That one they couldn’t see as well was the fluorocarbon.”

http://charlesmeck.com/a19990800.html

Posted on: 2009/3/10 8:10

From Hollidaysburg (originally Lititz)
I understand that the refractive index doesn't come into play when the fluoro is on top; however, I've had days where I fished terrestrials on mono, could not get a hit, then changed only the tippet and started catching the fish that refused my fly previously. Maybe my tippet was sinking just enough that it became invisible but didn't create drag problems. Either way, I've had fish refuse the same dry fly and then take it once I switched to fluoro. I spent my college years studying science, but sometimes things cannot be explained by science alone.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 20:04

From lancaster county
at least one "pro" sees it my way

Posted on: 2009/3/10 20:12

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com