Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: flourocarbon tippet

From Bozeman
It seems that everyone has anecdotal and theoretical evidence. I'd bet it just comes down to whether you tend to be cheap, skeptical, etc. I'm a cheap skeptic, so I guess that explains my position.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 20:31

Afish,

I am really hesitant to believe any endorsement a famous person makes. Let's face it they are endorsed to make up stories about how great products are. Orvis I am sure is cutting him a check to include that in his article or book. I am with JayL....cheap skeptic.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 14:08

Good old Lefty Kreh praises the daylights out of tackle and lines he would never touch if he wasn't sponsored by them.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 16:53

From Bozeman
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
Good old Lefty Kreh praises the daylights out of tackle and lines he would never touch if he wasn't sponsored by them.

The SRC too.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 11:06

From Chester County
I carry both mono and fluoro. I usually use mono for dries and fluoro for nymphs. Besides lower visibility, something that I don't think was mentioned is flouro is a lot tougher (abraision resistant) than mono. Also, I've messed around with both to test knots and I see no problem with flouro holding most knots.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 11:40

If you take a piece of 5x fluro and 5x mono and stick it in your fish tank you'll see there isn't much difference. If you take a fish weighing caliper and tie a knot to it and pull you'll see fluro tends to break at 50% of what it is rated for. I've tried both.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 12:16

From Chester County
Quote:

JustFish wrote:
If you take a piece of 5x fluro and 5x mono and stick it in your fish tank you'll see there isn't much difference. If you take a fish weighing caliper and tie a knot to it and pull you'll see fluro tends to break at 50% of what it is rated for. I've tried both.

What type of knot were you using and what brand of flouro? I've landed 10-12 lb steelhead with flouro as well as many large trout. I use Orivis Mirage. Improved clinch knots suck and that could be the problem. I generally use a triple surgeons knot for the tippet knot, and a knot call the "fishermen's knot" for the fly. I tested it agianst mono and do not have an issue with knot strength. I find flouro much more abraision resistant than mono, which is very useful for nymphing the bottom. Also the fact that it sinks helps when nymphing along with a little lower visibility in the water.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 12:50

I use Mirage as well. It is excellent. Caught a really good fish on #5 tippet, really good fish and I can't say I would want to change it up.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 13:14

From lancaster county
I use the 6x and 7x Mirage and have caught trout over 25 inches out of Lititz Run. Didnt play them too long and rarely get broken off. The stuff is great

Posted on: 2009/3/16 16:42

Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

JustFish wrote:

What type of knot were you using and what brand of flouro? I've landed 10-12 lb steelhead with flouro as well as many large trout. I use Orivis Mirage. Improved clinch knots suck and that could be the problem. I generally use a triple surgeons knot for the tippet knot, and a knot call the "fishermen's knot" for the fly. I tested it agianst mono and do not have an issue with knot strength. I find flouro much more abraision resistant than mono, which is very useful for nymphing the bottom. Also the fact that it sinks helps when nymphing along with a little lower visibility in the water.

by salvelinusfontinalis on 2009/3/16 16:42:49

I use the 6x and 7x Mirage and have caught trout over 25 inches out of Lititz Run. Didnt play them too long and rarely get broken off. The stuff is great

Afish,

I admit I didn't try the triple surgeons knot. However, we'll still have to agree to disagree. I don't think fluoro is needed. I catch wild fish on tough streams with mono........where is my motivation to pay more for tippet when the cheaper one is working just fine.

Here is a good example of fish not being leader shy. I fished the LLH last summer for tricos using a 4x leader tapered down to 6x mono. I caught seven fish that morning. This is a stream that the fly shop promotes the fish being leader shy and having to use 9x-12x tippets. They obviously weren't leader shy that morning!! All I am saying is I feel it is more about the drift rather then the leader IMHO.

Sal,

Sorry but I'd have to see it to believe it.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 11:26

From Chester County
Justfish,

As always, on this site, it's great to see what other guys do. We all know or should know there's a million ways to catch a fish and none are really right or wrong....just different.

Certainly no "need" to use flouro. It works okay in some situations, and I agree the price is a little hard to justify.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 11:37

From lancaster county
Well search my pics and look at the fish. Come to Lititz and fish with me and if I land a big boy do i get a prize?

p.s. Full flex rods make all the difference.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 18:58

From Mount Joy, PA
I can see "full flex" rods making a huge difference. The Cabela's rod that I picked up off of your brother has an incredible amount of flex compared to my White River 3wt, both 6' rods for all intents and purposes. That "full flex" certainly will help to protect the tippet and absorb some of the loading.

That makes perfect sense to me...

Posted on: 2009/3/20 22:07

Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Well search my pics and look at the fish. Come to Lititz and fish with me and if I land a big boy do i get a prize?

p.s. Full flex rods make all the difference.

Maybe I will........I am using mono though!

Posted on: 2009/3/21 8:28

From lancaster county
Its a deal

Posted on: 2009/3/21 8:37

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com