f-fishing outfits for youths

krayfish

krayfish

Anyone recently start a kid fly fishing and purchase a starter outfit? I'm torn between dropping some coin for a nice set up that he can grow into and buying a $30 starter set up. Does anyone have reviews on and packages. I'm looking at an outfit from Cabelas (rls $159), Redington (crosswater $99) or a TFO signature series with Greys G2 reel for $129.

I was thinking an 8' 6", 5wt would be good for most stream / pond situations. Any thoughs, suggestions or see something I've overlooked?

Better to drop $30 on a starter setup, and never have him grow into it because he doesn't like it, then to drop $130 and never have him grow into it because he doesn't like it :)

Something like this is what came to mind for me. Track down some coupon codes and you can probably have it for close to $50; they just sent me one today for 99 cents shipping and 25% off $75 or more (35% off $125 or more if you want to splurge..)

salmonoid wrote:
Better to drop $30 on a starter setup, and never have him grow into it because he doesn't like it, then to drop $130 and never have him grow into it because he doesn't like it :)

Something like this is what came to mind for me. Track down some coupon codes and you can probably have it for close to $50; they just sent me one today for 99 cents shipping and 25% off $75 or more (35% off $125 or more if you want to splurge..)[/quotes]

Exactly where I was going to go with this. New Sierra coupon offers come via email almost daily. Let me know if you need a current code.

Four years ago.

Cabelas Three Forks 7' 6" 3wt

Orvis Mid Arbor Battenkill with 2 spools (DT 3 & DT 4)

Fishpond Backpack/Chestpack (used the chestpack only for 3 years)

Cabelas waders

The kid is 13, lives on a trout stream and I have no doubt the gear will be used by Ihn. That suggestion is definitely more than I care to spend until we establish that he's into it.

Krayfish,
Does this youngin already trout fish or even fish? If so experience has taught me that more than likely the youngster will not only take up flyfishing but will ultimately prefer flyfishing.

A few years ago I joined the National Wild Turkey Federation { NWTF} and the organization is broken down in each sate into various chapters, I belong to the Central PA Limbhangers . This is very much similiar to Trout Unlimited. Each year our chapter holds a "Jakes" day event for local children. I have volunteered an helped at each event since the chapter was formed. For the past three years I have been donating a guided day on the water for a child an parent. This is usually a several visit thing .

For starters i use my own money and buy a quality outfit for the local Trout waters. This is usually a 7' or 7'6" 4 or 5 wt two piece rod/reel outfit. I also remove the weight foward line an put a double taper with the outfit usually backing comes with the reel..if not i buy a 50 yard spool. I then get a little San Juan Fishpond chest pack, also a C&F style box.I tie all the flies...Dry flies, usually Admas Parachutes in several sizes,and Elk Hair Caddis in several sizes. I get together three or four knotless prepackaged leaders usally 5 x no longer than the rod so the leaders are usually 7 1/2 foot long. I then get a lanyard an get clippers, fast knot tool, Gink floatant, leader straightner,thermometer,a few spools of tippet to rebuild a leader 3x,4x,5x,6x.

I then meet up at a local pavillion with the child an the parent and all they know about is that he has won a trip. I present the outfit to the child and then proceed to teach how to remove an replace the rod into the rod/reel case.

How to tie backing using the arbor knot onto the reel, then the nail knot using the tie fast tool to the flyline, then a knotted section of 25 pound Maxima for the but section or Amnesia if they prefer. then perfection loops an double surgeon loop knots.how to attcah the leader loop to loop, and several different knots for attaching flies.

I have the child an the parent each do every step several times till i see that they can do it.
After that i have the child do the whole thing an then reel on the backing tie on the fly line,then the leader and i show them how to replace the bug yarn i use for the casting leader.

Then we go out on the lawn first... I get them to just get the line to starighten out in front of them while explaining the basic cast. Then after they do that i explain and have them learn about the back cast. Then its the cast over all an the difference between the cast and Flase casting.

Once i see that they are casting fairly well, we move to the roll cast. Usally they learn this cast the fastest. after they do that ..there is a pond right there and i have them learn how to cast over water and also how to pick up line off the water. I also have them roll cast there too.earlier casts using roll cast i use a special grass leader i switch out becuase regular leaders dont load on grass like a grass leader does.

I also make a few copies of flyfishing dvds i own an give them to the winner. I have them watch these an practice till my next trip up to my cabin. Next trip i take them back to the pond an they usually are doing good enough i take them out for a hlagf day on local waters. There is nothing to me more priceless than watching a parent an child catch their first flyrod caught trout on flies and see the looks on their faces...not to mention at the end of the half day they have that unremovable smirk an are so full of excitement.

The next trip is all day so I take them out an let them have at it. Meanwhile I coach them an explain how to read water what to looks for , why you use one cast over another for the given situation ect. I bring lunch an drinks along. take pics an short movies. It's a hoot.

I have no children, but I enjoy children an their enthusiasm. Also in that neck of the woods the girls hunt an fish too. Boy do they get bummed when they don't win the trip. Girls also pick up the casting a little faster than the boys.This is my way of giving back to a activity that has given me so much in return. Pay It Forward.

IMHO better if the kid your buying this for is into fishing i'd gamble an get a better outfit not the nest mind you . But a better outfit will survice the learning curve an give many many years of service till that youngster can afford to get their own.

I prefer: Cortland Just Add Water outfits, but they don't seem to offer them to my knowledge.
I have had really good luck with Redinton lower end outfits, as well as LL Bean's two lower outfits.
thats my 2 cents your mileage may vary.

BTW each an every kid an their parent have taken up flyfishingi sometimes fish with some of them when I'm at the cabin!

He already spin fishes. He's been crazed about it the past couple of months. He's already has my old Henry's Fork vest from 20 years ago. He's done 1 fly fishing trip to Clark's with me. He was awful but his little brother was a natural. The youngest one has no interest in fly fishing though.

I'm going to stick some old waders on the oldest boy, put 3 pairs of socks on him and use an old pair of sneakers as wading shoes. He'll use my gear and we'll hit the Tully since it was recently stocked. His level of interest will determine what package I go with. I was definitely looking at the Redington outfit. The one comes with mainstream line, backing and leaders. I'll have several hundred flies for him as well as tippet, boxes, Indies, etc.

His dad had talked to me about Santa bringing waders for him. He's also seen pics of steelhead and wants to try it in Nov. We'll see about that. I have trouble getting myself to steelhead. LOL. He also wants to float the D with uncle Andy in the spring. Have to see how thing progress.

I was leaning toward an 8 1/2 foot, 5wt. I think that makes it more versatile than a 3 or 4 weight. Redington and TFO offer good warranty. I'm sure it will get broken in the first 6 months of use.

Krayfish,
Think about what waters you will take him to an also what waters he will have available the most..if its small streams id stick to 7 '6" and under definitely a 5 weight{you can always underline it} and if its big water well a 9' 5 or 6 weight { you can always overline a rod one size if wind comes into play.} 8'6" is kinda silly no offense that extra six inches makes a big difference mending and controlling a
drift.

See you have created a monster too, and about being bad when they start out, makes no difference because if they are having fun and are getting better its a matter of time before they are up to par.
Good time Good Times.
Redington was and is always a great choice unless Sage decides do away with it.
I doubt that you will be wasting money, and theres a lil brother thats a natural so if one doesnt like it pass the wand to the next.
Congrats

For the price the crosswater is a great stick. The line and reel that come with the outfit will work for a season or two, but they are crappy. Replace those and the kid will get some years out of that outfit. I've had my crosswater for years now, I still take it as a back up rod when I travel and I fish it for smallmouth and blue gill all summer.

I would suggest buying something used on Ebay, craigslist...etc. If he's into it then upgrade accordingly, but my gut feeling is if he already spin fishes and loves it, he will eventually grow to love fly-fishing as well especially if he has mentor.

Kray,
Cabelas had the Cahill combos for $39.99. Not sure if they're on sale now, but I'm sure they'll be back on sale soon. If they have a 7.5ft 4 or 5wt, that would be perfect for the youngster!

I'd sy go for the less expensive setup.

I would buy with myself in mind.....If he doesn't like it, well guess what?.....at least you will be able to make some use of it.
I have bought cheap equipment - and it never touched the surface to interest me and I will never touch the surface with them again. You need to purchase something that even you would be interested in using or proud to own. Good equipment helped build my confidence....and my love for flyfishing.

I have the Crosswater rod and love it. I needed a solid, but inexpensive 9' 5wt and it serves the purpose just fine. I slapped a Martin Mountain Brook reel on it, 'cause as noted, the Crosswater reel SUCKS.

Ill say this and call me crazy, the eagle claw black eagle, 5wt and rio avid trout line(rio grand with out the crazy high end lube set ups) the rod is $20 at Walmart and well the line is $55 then you gotta find a reel. But I can say I really really enjoy that combo, though I have a redington rise 3/4, but you should be as to find a cheaper used reel on Craigslist. Good luck and if you have a 4wt set up go buy the pole and try it if you don't like it return it.

For an inexpensive reel, I really do stand by the Martin Mountain Brook. Its so solid, especially for the price. I've abused mine pretty good for a couple years now and it holds up! Caught trout, carp, bass, its been dropped onto rocks and into streams, but it keeps tickin'. Haven't tested it against a Upper D brown yet ;-)

Sas, you don't have to worry about those browns, they just bulldog you straight to the bottom. Hooking one of the bows will give your reel a spin.

I talked to my buddy about starting the nephew in the sport. I think he's going to sell me a sage fli 5 weight , Orvis reel and wonderline for $125. That will work! Hopefully everything falls into place.

Krayfish,
It sounds like your nephew has the most important piece of equipment he'll ever need, A Good mentor. I think he will do fine!

Sounds like your nephew will have better gear than me!

One of the things I wish I had was a mentor when I first started. I give the gentleman at Nashiminy Creek most of the credit for my continues learning. I had to learn to crawl before I could walk. I spent about 3 years crawling I believe, before this guy at the creek advised me to drop a nymph below my dry fly about 2 1/2 feet on 2 or 4lb test line. That's when I really took off with my love of flyfishing. So please spend plenty of time with your nephew and he will love to flyfish much quicker than I did.

Back