clothes under breathables

R

RickinPa

As it is getting hot what do you wearing under your breathables? Will it hurt them to just wear shorts and have your bear legs against the waders?

Thanks

Rick

Reminds me of the question "What do Scottsmen wear under their kilts?" :-D No, I have never gone au naturale under my waders, but wearing shorts has never been a problem. I suppose it's possible that you could get abraded if the waders have wrinkles in bad spots like around the knees, but the only way to find out is to try it. If you mean will it hurt the waders, I see no reason why it would.

Why wear waders or anything at all? JUST KIDDING! I just got back from fishing, I wore shorts underneath my waders and I haven't had a problem!

I love the Underarmour heat gear pants. Actually I love Underarmour period...great products!

I'm a Dickies man,i always wear my dickies everytime i fish!!!

I've worn shorts under waders. They were fine.

I also like those supplex pants. They are very cool, breathable and comfortable. Best of all, they are pretty cheap.

Except when very cold, I wet-waded all the time, but stinging nettles, poison ivy, ticks, Lyme disease, etc. fear have cured me of that. Shorts under breathable waders all the time for me, unless it's cold, cold.

August makes a good point. I learned the hard way when wet wading and walking through fields with high grass and weeds. Nothing like feeling like you have paper cuts all over your legs. But if you know you will be fishing an area where it's pretty open, wet wading is great on hot days. Wear wading boots over neoprene booties and light shorts that will dry quickly.

I wear Patagonia silkweight Capilene bottoms in warm weather. I think they call them Capilene 1 now. They are kind of expensive but I got mine when my local retailer had them on sale. These bottoms are great for warm weather fishing. You don't get that clammy feeling of your sweaty legs against the waders, and they are so thin and sheer and wick moisture away from your legs to the waders so they help keep you cool. I wear the heavier weights too for colder weather. Highly recommended.

I've worn shorts under my breathables but find that a very thin base layer is much more comfortable. Much like the Patagonias that salvelinus described. Underarmor Heat Gear is another good suggestion. Anything extremely light weight and breathable should be good.

Shorts and Underarmour here. Just make sure you air your waders out after a warm day fishing by turning them inside out. I didn't a couple of years back after fishing all weekend. Made my work socks smell good!!!

Underarmour cold gear works great in the winter too! That stuff is just AWESOME!!!

JH

I'm a blue collar worker, and wear Dickies uniforms for work.
I found long ago that the pants are great to wear under waders.
They're thin, so they don't bulkout and get bunched up.
They also dry very quickly if you sweat up or take in some water.
And the price is right!

I never had any problem with good old jeans.

If I'm wearing shorts when I end up fishing I won't mind, I guess... But I'd rather have jeans on.

3 socks

Bruno, Thanks now I have to clean my beer off the computer!! :lol: :lol: :pint:

I usually wear shorts and my legs usually sweat a lot. So far as long as I let the waders air out after use, I've had no performance problems.

I decided to to buy a pair of simms lightweights for under waders. I tried them on Wed and really like them. I tried shorts but didn't like the clamy feeling of bear skin next to the waders.

Thanks

Rick

If you get a pair of supplex, a similar lightweight synthetic, or even poplin pants you can wet wade very comfortably in them. This lets me stay cool but protect my legs from poison ivy and prickers and the like. Often they will be dry by the time you get home.

Lightest pants. Capilene bottoms are nice. Can't stand shorts. As to wading wet......in the Monocacy or the West Branch of the Delaware??? That water is 55 degrees with a release from the dam and the Lehigh Valley streams are cold right out of the ground. Brrrrr......No can do.

I've worn shorts many times and have never had any issues. That is my standard practice from late spring through early fall and when it gets a little colder then I start adding layers starting with wading socks.

Back