cabelas ultralight wading boots: flexible but fragile?

k-bob

k-bob

looked at wading boots in cabelas, was struck by how light and flexible these boots are compared to others in the store:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ultralight-2-Lug-Wading-Boots/1161054.uts?WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

inexpensive!.. I usualy walk in to fish and recall fox and pcray wrote that these boots were light and comfortable but gave out. these ones let go at seams around rubber nose and sides:

http://waterdogjournal.com/2012/03/19/dear-cabelas-your-wading-boots-suck/

so I will just buy em ... $60, what the heck if they last a third as long as $180 boots and are lighter and much more flexible? will wear them on longer walks but not tougher rocky wading. have beefier boots for that, but they are heavier and much less flexible.

anyone have these boots and if they let go was it a similar demise? am I buying a Yugo? :)

Yes, I had a pair. You do a lot of small stream exploring and whatnot, I can't see these boots lasting you a season. If you don't use them on the rugged streams, maybe they'll serve you okay. I used mine on a lot of small streams. The seams just didn't last, I was constantly getting gravel and silt like no one's bidniz (part of that is the geology of Lancaster County, I realize, but my Beans don't have half the issues these boots had).

But hey. If you'r elooking for a long-hike type of wading boot and aren't your "go-to"boot, then they may serve you for that!

thanks will watch the seams and for sand. I have been going through simms riversheds in about a year a half, used to replacing boots. the flex and weight differences are very real. I have other boots if these crash out early.

no free lunch on these? high flexibility may lead to seam failures, particularly in an inexpensive boot. Ill try to appreciate one and watch for the other

i had some for a few seasons and they ended separating. but I like to walk and also used them on the beach, so I wasn't too surprised. I did replace them this winter with a new pair. I like the light weight and the price. I can't see dropping a few hundred on boots.

thanks ebroesicke.. I will just watch those seams and I don't need the same mileage if lighter with more flex for less cash.

kbob, I bought a pair last year and fished them roughly three times a week spring, summer, and fall on rocky bottom creeks as I mainly fish for smallmouth. They are just as good as when I bought them and I have been very happy with them. They are comfortable, they are light, and they seem to be durable.

I bought them thinking if I got one year out of them I would be happy. I have no doubt that they will be fine this year and probably next year as well.

I think proper care and fitting helps to maintain the shelf life of any boot. I properly dry them after each use, I don't leave them in the trunk of my car, when wet wading I make sure that my socks are thick enough to fill the extra room that the waders normally fill.

You almost can't go wrong with buying them at the price they are.

thanks poopdeck... I was surprised at how well they flexed versus the other ten or so wading boots in the store. also the light weight. I am trying to get in the habit of drying boots, not leaving sand in them, etc. think you are right about that!

Yeah, I loved mine, but lasted < year and that that year wasn't among my hardest use years. Sides just busted out similar to your link.

Still, I think my Simms Guide boots are nearing the end of their life at 2 years and $200+. Boot is ok, but the soles are flat, not much tread left!!!! They weren't the stickiest boots to begin with and I think it's gonna get real slick this year, we'll see. Perhaps I'll glue some felt on them and see how long that lasts. I guess I could call this a testament to the quality of the uppers, never had this happen before. But I was always a felt guy...

In the end it doesn't matter how they go, the lifetime is the lifetime. And they aren't as comfortable as the ultralights by any stretch. The Simms are stiff boots.

If I do buy new boots I may go back to Chota. Seem to last me 2 years in the $100-$150 range. Fairly heavy, but roomy too for my short wide duck feet, and pretty comfortable. Nice compromise between longevity and comfort.

I guess I’ll be the first to say I didn’t think these were comfortable. I thought the upper part of the boot around my ankle was too stiff and not very supportive. I felt like I could roll my ankle easily in these and the ball of my ankle always rubbed on the upper part of the boot. I eventually developed a callous there, but they hurt for a while. As far as longevity, I got about a year and a half out of mine. Same as the others report, the stitching along the outer part of the foot gave out. They were ok traction and value wise, but they were too uncomfortable for me to buy again.

When I needed new boots, I went with Cabelas Gold Medal Hiker/Wader combos…wayyy more comfortable and supportive IMO, but also about $40 more. Had them almost a year now and I can see the stitching starting to give. I’m thinking longevity will be about the same as the Ultralights, but I treat em’ rough, lots of hiking and boulder climbing. A pair every 1.5-2 years is to be expected. I’d pay the extra for the Gold Medals again in a heartbeat from a comfort perspective.

thanks will watch the side seams on the cabelas ULs ... I have also had rubber soles wear down on otherwise good boots. I want to hike to fish so I am going to use the cabelas ULs and Patagonia for now.

thanks swattie I hope the cabelas work for me --usual issues with buying online. I at least have other things to go to if they bother my feet or ankles.

I think I've been getting about a year and a half on a pair of boots as well

Mine lasted maybe 3-4 years, light use in the beginning, but eventually they got wore hard.

With enough ShoeGoo, I could keep 'em going, but, as many people can personally attest, I'll go through any lengths to keep from spending money on useful items.

LIke everyone else, they blew out on the sides.

6807543560_2a5c5765b4_c.jpg

(note duct tape patching wader leak, I got an extra six weeks or so out of regular duct tape use before I had to spring for Aquaseal)

thanks and that's a great picture

I will watch for signs of a catastrophic failure after I have some miles on them:)

the boots are so flexible that I really might wonder if they give out in that spot as a consequence of a good thing they are flexing

I'm in the market for cheap wading boots... after spending way more than any person should on waders. So this thread has been helpful.

Word of caution brookie. Going cheap on boots can shorten the life of the booties on your waders. I learned the hard way years ago.
Saving 50-60 on boots after dropping 450 on waders might not be wise

Thanks nymphingmaniac, I appreciate the advice. I definitely don't want to do anything that will adversely affect the main reason I bought the waders I did.

And you do not want to twist and ankle or worse by not having support. they might be good for flat fishing (low gradient/ no rocks) but I wouldn't wear em hiking in to small streams.

Sandfly's post is probably about ankle support, but it brings up an interesting point about sole flexibility. If you walk in wading boots, it is probably better if the soles flex, or you work pushing against soles that don't want to budge. But in tough climbing or standing on rocks, too much sole flex might be an issue. (and boots with soles that flex may not last as long)

I'll just try the cabelas in walking, ez climbing, etc., and see how I feel about the sole flex and ankle support. I have other boots with flexible soles and good ankle support by Patagonia, and also Simms with stiff soles and good ankle support.

Ankle support and light weight may always be good, while sole flex works for long walks but not tough climbing ?

I don't think its really crazy to have a few pairs of boots. can let one dry out when you use another one, can have tougher but heavier pair, and lighter and more flexible pair etc. as pat suggested above, all boots are going to decline with use - sometimes the soles, sometimes the uppers.

(lightest boots I've had weighed 18 oz each, size ten bone dry w/ rubber bottom (old Patagonia river walker), heaviest were 30 oz. For a hiking day, that makes for a pound and a half difference on your feet, which under the "pound on feet = five on your back" backpacker idea might be like carrying 7.5 lbs less on your back.)

oh, one more thing, never walk in dry boots. Leave them damp or soak them thoroughly before heading to the stream if you can. Dry hard boots cause friction points on booties. How much of a problem this is depends on what they are made of. As we all known, wet boots are easier to fit properly too

interesting but I do a lot of bushwhacking so my wader uppers usually die before the booties give out. but I have seen wader booties go at the seams. getting sand out of boots is probably a good idea also

gfen wrote:
With enough ShoeGoo, I could keep 'em going....

Same here. I've owned several pairs of these boots and with a fair amount of Shoegoo maintenance (and new screw-in studs), they usually lasted me 2 years. I think they're a good value for the price.

Back