Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: cabelas ultralight wading boots: flexible but fragile?

From Luzerne County, PA
k-bob are you going to hike into your spots with them? cuz I don't think they're rated for mountain goats

Posted on: 3/30 21:02

henrydavid. I will probably use other boots on back of beyond trips like that one we took along the Lehigh. btw, turns out the next little stream south of there does have brookies. let's fish again some time, that was fun!

Posted on: 3/30 21:46

From Luzerne County, PA
yeah, I'll have to get all my gear treated for ticks first though

Posted on: 3/31 19:43

right I use permethrin

Posted on: 4/1 5:33

From SE Pa
Curious why people use their wading boots as hiking boots and then wonder why they are failing. I never hike in my waders and boots. I'm I the only one that carrys them on hikes. They pack so easily nowadays.

Posted on: 4/1 21:42

From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
Quote:

k-bob wrote:
right I use permethrin

I've heard about this product. Can you elaborate on how you use it and how successful it is? Do you apply it once and it's good for the season or do you apply it each time you go out? Does it kill ticks or repel them? Last year was the worst for me with deer ticks. I'd get 4-5 ticks each time I fished certain streams and usually always deer ticks. One even had to be surgically removed at a clinic. I'm hoping to prevent some ticks this year. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on: 4/2 7:58

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Permethrin is an insect repellent, and in reasonable doses, actually kills the insects which aren't repelled. Clothing and other cloths can be treated and it will last a few washes. Some insect repelling clothing is pre-treated with it, as well as other chemicals which increase it's stability and presumably make it last longer.

For a while it was used in medical creams, for treating the likes of lice and scabies, and it will kill them. Also as an agricultural and household insecticide. In the last decade or so it's become more common in lower doses as a repellant, as DEET was shown to be damaging on many fabrics as well as for human (and animal) health.

Permethrin is fabric safe and less toxic to warm blooded animals. However, it is much MORE toxic to cold blooded animals than DEET. Fish and amphibians especially, so be careful about getting any in the water. It's also extremely toxic, strangely, to cats. That one's fairly well known because a lot of flea and tick collars for dogs are permethrin soaked, but those type are not to be used if the dog is in close contact with cats, and they're talking about actually outlawing the permethrin ones for that reason.

Posted on: 4/2 8:44

oh I would rather just hike in waders and wading boots versus carry them because 1) I fish hike fish hike 2) waders are better tick wise... yes waders can be hot but breathable waders are less hot and lighter flexible boots are better to walk in.

for my use with a lot of hiking, I no longer think that it is good that the uppers of my heavy inflexible wading boots look fine after years of use.

I'd rather have boots that are more comfortable to walk in and weigh less even if the boots wear out faster.... and my heavy tough wading boats were wearing out in the soles anyhow.

the cabelas ULs are interesting and very flexible but there's not enough ankle support for me to wear those on a tough trip

they are expensive but the Patagonia ULs flex reasonably well are lighter than the cabelas and have better ankle support.

Posted on: 4/2 10:08

Agreed, I'm not packing in my waders. I don't take a backpack and don't intend to. That would be more hassle than just wearing the waders.

Posted on: 4/2 10:57

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Ditto to what pcray and k-bob said to not packing in my waders and boots. Easier to wear them than carry them. Same logic as to why it’s good to hydrate before a long hike in trip…easier to carry the water in you than on you. As k-bob alluded to also, fishing remote streams (even when you are at the stream and fishing) is often much more hiking than fishing. At this point I actually prioritize a comfortable hiker over actual in the water traction and durability. Using my math earlier in the thread…at $3.89/month I’m willing to wear out the boots and replace them as opposed to trying to get max-life out of them by not hiking in them and carrying them in.

Posted on: 4/2 11:16

From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
It's funny how people's preferences differ so much. I absolutely hate hiking into a remote stream with waders on unless the outside temperature is below 60. I have quality breathables but if my skin is getting clammy, I'm not comfortable.

For the most part, I fish small native streams with my rubber knee high boots that I archery hunt with. It's rare I wish I had any higher protection for small streams. These boots hike well and keep my feet dry. I really like the Chota Hippies but can't justify the price tag for such a simple product.

Posted on: 4/2 14:10

Quote:
I have quality breathables but if my skin is getting clammy, I'm not comfortable.

I'm fat and out of shape. For summertime woodland adventures, I'm going to be sweaty and clammy even if I were naked.

I wear breathables, and notice no difference between having these on vs. say, wading pants. No difference till you step in the water, anyway. If I did not want to wear my waders, I would wet wade, rather than carry them.

I am tempted to wet wade. It feels nice. Realistically it's the only other option to me to wearing waders in. But, I'm scared of infection, and ticks.

Posted on: 4/3 11:48

if you put "2013 wader shootout" in Google there is good info on breathable waders ...

Posted on: 4/3 19:58

From SE Pa
Permathrin is the bomb. I discovered it many years ago in the army. Never had another tick on me since. It's not to be applied to the skin nor should you have contact with it when wet. Take your clothes outside hang from a tree branch and completely coat your pants,shirt,socks,hat and whatever else you may wear and let dry completely. Then go find the tickeest place you can find and have no fear. It last a long time and can can withstand a couple of washes.

As I get older putting waders on at the side of the creek is getting more difficult. I much prefer putting them on while seated on the back of the truck. For now I just really hate wearing them out of the water and find carrying them draped around my neck to not be a bother. I also don't carry a lot of gear other then a rod and a couple tins of flies. Pack light freeze at night as they say.

Posted on: 4/3 21:34

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com