Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: cabelas ultralight wading boots: flexible but fragile?

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
And you do not want to twist and ankle or worse by not having support. they might be good for flat fishing (low gradient/ no rocks) but I wouldn't wear em hiking in to small streams.

Posted on: 3/27 5:38

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Sandfly's post is probably about ankle support, but it brings up an interesting point about sole flexibility. If you walk in wading boots, it is probably better if the soles flex, or you work pushing against soles that don't want to budge. But in tough climbing or standing on rocks, too much sole flex might be an issue. (and boots with soles that flex may not last as long)

I'll just try the cabelas in walking, ez climbing, etc., and see how I feel about the sole flex and ankle support. I have other boots with flexible soles and good ankle support by Patagonia, and also Simms with stiff soles and good ankle support.

Ankle support and light weight may always be good, while sole flex works for long walks but not tough climbing ?

I don't think its really crazy to have a few pairs of boots. can let one dry out when you use another one, can have tougher but heavier pair, and lighter and more flexible pair etc. as pat suggested above, all boots are going to decline with use - sometimes the soles, sometimes the uppers.

(lightest boots I've had weighed 18 oz each, size ten bone dry w/ rubber bottom (old Patagonia river walker), heaviest were 30 oz. For a hiking day, that makes for a pound and a half difference on your feet, which under the "pound on feet = five on your back" backpacker idea might be like carrying 7.5 lbs less on your back.)

Posted on: 3/27 6:33

Edited by k-bob on 2014/3/27 7:14:46
Edited by k-bob on 2014/3/27 7:16:01
Edited by k-bob on 2014/3/27 7:16:54
Edited by k-bob on 2014/3/27 7:17:33
Edited by k-bob on 2014/3/27 7:18:09
Edited by k-bob on 2014/3/27 7:19:10

From State College PA
oh, one more thing, never walk in dry boots. Leave them damp or soak them thoroughly before heading to the stream if you can. Dry hard boots cause friction points on booties. How much of a problem this is depends on what they are made of. As we all known, wet boots are easier to fit properly too

Posted on: 3/27 7:54

interesting but I do a lot of bushwhacking so my wader uppers usually die before the booties give out. but I have seen wader booties go at the seams. getting sand out of boots is probably a good idea also

Posted on: 3/27 8:07

From Gettysburg
Quote:

gfen wrote:
With enough ShoeGoo, I could keep 'em going....

Same here. I've owned several pairs of these boots and with a fair amount of Shoegoo maintenance (and new screw-in studs), they usually lasted me 2 years. I think they're a good value for the price.

Posted on: 3/27 8:24

thanks shoegoo might be a good look with my tape-patched waders

Posted on: 3/27 8:41

From Shrewsbury, PA
ShoeGoo is good and also Goop. Use both on boots and wader repair, much cheaper than Aquaseal and they work.

Posted on: 3/27 8:50

I've used the Cabela's Ultra Lights for the past couple of years and they still look almost like new. However, my fishing time is limited due to health issues.

I also like the stud soles. I feel pretty stable when wading, and slippery mud banks aren't a problem.

Ankle support is not as good as my older Cabela's boots, so I pick and choose depending on which stream I fish.

Posted on: 3/27 17:04

"Ankle support is not as good as my older Cabela's boots, so I pick and choose depending on which stream I fish."

thanks I will watch the ankle support and try to match the boots to the fishing trip..

Posted on: 3/27 18:13

From Dauphin PA
Had a pair of those Cabelas lightweights a few years back. Like others have said, lasted 1 year and they were blown apart.

If anyone wears a 10 boot and needs boots..... I have a lightly used pair of Simms Rivershed (vibram sole) boots to sell. Retail $180.... I'm selling for $90. PM if interested

Posted on: 3/27 20:57

the cabelas boots are in, they are fairly light (27 oz size 10 w/o screws), very comfy standing, and have a _lot_ of sole flex walking.

they should be nice for walking with all that sole flex, but as others have noted, they are quite low on ankle support. I am not surprised that the sides of these boots tend to give out, the sole flex will stretch those sides.

thanks for the advice. I will enjoy walking in these, but try to remember the durability and ankle support issues. they weren't spendy, and I have a feeling I wont end up with another pair of boots with good uppers and worn out soles...

Posted on: 3/28 9:14

From Luzerne County, PA
I was looking at these myself, they are listed at $29.95 on cabelas website, was thinking I could hike in with hiking boots and put the waders and wading boots on streamside.

Posted on: 3/29 16:36

From Perkasie, PA
I have had two pairs of those Cabela's ultralights. The first pair "lasted" about 3 seasons before the sole separated from the upper. I temporarily repaired that with some gorilla glue.

I replaced that pair with the same model because of the low price. I guess it is true that you get what you pay for. Less than one season and the sole is separating. I do fish several times a week...

Next time I am going with a better brand name.

Posted on: 3/30 13:29

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Boots to me are like waders...their utility and effectiveness is best measured as a function of cost/time of use.

The Cabelas Ultralights did pretty well in that regard. I got approximately 18 months out of them and paid $70 = $3.89/month of use. I fish probably 60-75 days per year, many of which involve a lot of hiking.

If I paid say $150 for a pair of higher end boots, they would have to last approximately 39 months (3+ years) to achieve the same amount of utility to me. That's a tall task for any boot with the amount of hiking I do. $200 boots would need to hold up for 51 months...you get the idea.

Granted there are other factors to take into account as well...namely comfort. I didn't find the Ultralights to be comfortable over the duration of a 5 or 6 mile day, so I didn't buy them again when they wore out. But from a utility perspective in terms of time of use per dollar, I think they were worth the money.

Posted on: 3/30 18:06

boots are a consumable with performance comfort durability cost and safety differences ... like tires!

Posted on: 3/30 18:25

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com