building my own rod

tztrout

tztrout

Been kicking around building my own rod for a long time. Any info on where to purchase decent materials, blems, etc would be appreciated.

tztrout,

This topic has been discussed at length here. While I'm sure others will chime in with their input, you can find a week's worth of reading material by searching the site.

I find it to be very rewarding, if a little frustrating at times.

I build a 9' 5wt G-Loomis GL3 with a Cabela's kit. It is my favorite rod, and can apparently roll cast a brace of nymphs, gobs of split shot, and large indicators remarkably well.

Enjoy!

Just what I was looking for! ty

TZ

Jay provided a nice resource list.

I build professionally and will be more than willing to help you with any questions that you may have, Please don't hesitate to contact me!

You may also want to look here
http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/

You'll find a great selection of tutorial and a bunch of down to earth guys who are more than willing to assist.

Best of luck

Matt

My fiirst and only rod I've built I got one of the kits from Cabelas. If I do it again I will probably get it elsewhere. Cabelas isn't bad at all though but sometimes if you search the right places you can find better things and mix and match to your own tastes instead of just what Cabelas has to offer. I even hear ebay has a lot of quality rod blanks although I've never checked.

Two advantages to a kit is that the tip-top should be sized right and the cork grip should be pre-reamed. If you find a blank at a mail order or walk-in shop, see if they'll sell you the tip-top and reamed cork to fit. Otherwise, you would need to have a shop you can walk in with your blank and fit the tip-top in person. You can ream your own cork, of course, but that can be a hassle and potential errors for a beginner. The guides, hook keeper, reel seat, glues and epoxies and thread, thread sealer, etc. can be purchased piece-meal at a price, and style that fits your exact tastes. Good luck and take your time. It is very easy to get eager to complete it and make mistakes or do a sloppy job that you will later wish you had taken your time.

Jack,

The Cork in my kit was drilled, but not reamed.

It was a pain, and I screwed up and split it.

I would try to get a reamed grip next time.

I to look forward to doing this at least once in my lifetime. I assume it's very tedious but I think I would get a rod in the end that was very special to me as Jay said.

Yeah the cabelas kit I got was not reamed and thats the only place I really made any errors that are noticable. I didn't get fancy with any wraps or anything but it turned out great and it fishes exactly how I wanted it to which was the main reason for building it. Reaming the cork is probably the roughest part because with putting on the guides if you don't like it you can always cut it off and re-tie it in until you put the epoxy on them. I did mine as a winter project when I knew I wasn't going to be super super anxious to go try it out so I took my time.

Kit rods are okay but not preferred by most. The components are not the best, but it is all depending on what you prefer and budget. I don’t know of any one pre-fitting cork but I’m sure you’re going to pay premium. Breaking an AAAA cork grip is not pleasant on the religion or wallet. I broke one out of 30 or so and think it was damaged (but repaired it and used it on one of the kid’s rod). I never over reamed a grip (never start at the top, always ream from the reel seat end and always roll when getting close to the fit). I always mic the tip top and order the size needed, just because the blank size says it is 4.5 it could mic out to a 5. You can spend more for the components then you did on the blank (so don’t be supersized). IMO never buy a blank that you think you will like because it’s cheap, put the best component you like, and depending on the rod length and weight consider increasing the size of the stripper guide (unless you are using a silk fly line then the recommended size should be okay). The kit rods usually include a small stripper guide. If you don’t like the wrap before you apply the finish, it’s not going to look better, so re-wrap the guide and be happy with it before applying the finish (varnish or epoxy).

Hook and hackle has a really good supply of kits and blanks etc... and they are almost always running specials on some rod blank.

My first build was a kit of theirs that basically duplicated a St. Croix Legend, without the name.

tzrout, check out anglers workshop out in washington state, they will send you a nice catalog, plus they have a good website. I've built and restored dozens of rods and have never had an issue with any of their products or service. good luck with your first build!! keep us posted on the progress!

I get most of the parts from Mudhole. Like others, I don't like the kits, as the parts aren't much to write home about, and I figure if I'm going to build one, I want it truely customized. Art Scheck has an excellent book, Flyrod Building Made Easy. When I took the plunge a few years back, I read Scheck's book which allowed me to ask sensible questions on this Board.
Coughlin

I've built 5 graphite rods now and I think it's a blast and not that difficult. If you have some dexterity, patience and attention to detail it is pretty simple.

I got started with the book called Fly Rod Building Made Easy: A Complete Step-By-Step Guide to Making a High-Quality Fly Rod on a Budget
by Art Scheck. It got me up and running and then I went to The Rod Building Forum for other questions.

I am most impressed with the Batson Rainshadow RX7 Blanks that I've used. Depending on size/weight you can get these blanks from the Hook and Hackle starting at about $50. After buying the rest of the components you can have a great rod for under $100. They also sell kits based on these blanks (and many other kits and blanks).

If you do check out the Hook and Hackle be sure to click the "Shop Online" button at the top of the page - that way you'll see the discounted online prices (which are 10% on many items vs. catalog orders).

You should definitely build one (you won't stop at one though)

I build pretty much all my fly rods these days and have been happy with price point stuff - blems, Brand X, and similar stuff. I have had some bad luck with very low priced corks. Since I mix and match parts I ream my own corks and this can, as others have pointed out, be tricky. I'd try rod building with some low priced stuff before you build a high end brand name rod. I have built many Cabelas Stowaway blanks - this is a very low priced, 5 piece travel rod and the finished rods have served me well in both fresh and saltwater. Here's a tip: If you already have a fly rod of the same length as the blank you intend to finish, lay 'em out on the ground next to each other, line them up very closely, and cut a bunch of tiny tape strips. Tie the tape on the blank at the points where you will put the guides on by simply lining the tape marks up with the guides on the finished rod. This will ensure that your guide spacing is tapered nicely. And don't forget to find the "spline" and push the cork onto the blank BEFORE you start winding guides on.

Fishidiot wrote:
If you already have a fly rod of the same length as the blank you intend to finish, lay 'em out on the ground next to each other, line them up very closely, and cut a bunch of tiny tape strips. Tie the tape on the blank at the points where you will put the guides on by simply lining the tape marks up with the guides on the finished rod. This will ensure that your guide spacing is tapered nicely. And don't forget to find the "spline" and push the cork onto the blank BEFORE you start winding guides on.

Or try this:

http://www.flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding/index6.html

http://www.uwm.edu/~stetzer/guideN.html

Here is an article that takes you through he entire process of building a rod. Click "next" to view each chapter. Also note some pages have a video on the steps in the sidebar.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding/index.html

Good luck with you project, but read this before you make a final decision to get into it:

BEWARE. ROD BUILDING IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE AND WILL LIKLEY RESULT IN ACTUALLY SPENDING MORE MONEY RATHER THAN SAVING MONEY ON RODS. YOU ARE LIKELY TO END UP ACCUMULATING MORE RODS OF EVERY SHAPE, WEIGHT AND SIZE THAN YOU CAN EVER FISH.

All I can say about Afishinado's last post is AMEN.
Coughlin

Back