Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: brookie rods

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I have fished Gilhouser, did my undergrad at IUP, it was a pretty cool stream. Kind of shows you what limestone sanding will do...

When I advocated heavier line weights, I did NOT advocate longer rods. Yes, I'm talking about 5 wts, but the 6-8 foot variety, not the long rods.

Though, Gilhouser was rather open and easy casting compared to most streams that size. A lighter line weight would work just fine there.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 10:43

From Southwest, Pa
gillhouser is awesome... there are streches that you can get a back cast in with a mid sized rod, but when you walk down the path and venture upstream, it's nearly impossible.

some big trout down there.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 22:21

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
btw, I know a custom builder that could have a low end to mid level rainshadow in your hands for right around 150. I have an rx7. Will post pics tomorrow and a video of some long casts w. it. If you're interested in the builder contact me through pm

Posted on: 2011/7/13 22:23

-Art Lee

Most times I fish a tight stream I do pretty much zero true backcasting. But Gilhouser is pretty open, everywhere, and sometimes you can backcast there.

Streams like that are the rule rather than the exception in most of the state. Indiana County, obviously, isn't a great wild trout area overall.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 6:34

From Southwest, Pa
cray, I don't know how long it's been since you visitied, or we may fish different places at gillhouser, but where I go, it is not open whatsover. In fact, you can't even access the water in a lot of spots due to mt. laurel that is very thick. If i can't throw a backcast, i'm not fishing it.

I will also say that Indiana has a few streams that would suprise the heck out of you... a few aren't on the list and you do need landowner permission. Not of the yellow creek watershed, though the trib that empties by 422, at the headwaters, is great wild fishing. Westmoreland and fayette is def. better, but I can assure you there is more wild fishing than most think.

Have you ever fished the streams towards robinson? Some stretches that never get fished down that way.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 10:51

-Art Lee

Yeah, upper yellow (above yellow creek lake) and some of those tribs were pretty sweet. Don't get me wrong, there's a few good ones in the area. But keep in mind, even Berks County, in suburban Philly, has 50ish wild trout streams, and some of the "good" trout counties in PA have literally hundreds.

No, I haven't done much fishing down towards Robinson, but you're really getting into the Laurel Highlands there, I'd expect things would get better. I have lived in or fished NW, NC, central, and SE PA quite a bit, and made a handful of trips to the SC area too. But the Laurel Highlands and the Pocono's remain pretty large holes in my PA wild trout fishing resume.

Been a while since I fished Gilhouser. I generally accessed it from I think it was a game lands parking lot or something of that nature, not really sure. It was a little turnaround at the end of a road, there was a maze of paths through some thick stuff to get to the stream that were easy to get turned around in. Lookin at google maps, might have been Michael's Road? We fished both up and down from there. I do remember that in dry summers, the stream was intermittent in places in the upper end, so there must have been some underground flow. It got a little bigger, and worse fishing, as you went down into the more mature forest areas.

I hold that it was fairly open compared to most small brookie streams I fish. It may have changed some, but I doubt that much unless new logging or something took place. Yeah, there was some laurel. But laurel is nothing compared to mature rhodo!

Perhaps difference in the streams we fish dictates our differences in choices of tackle? I think that happens often on this board. Someone asks about tackle choices for "small streams", and one person answers picturing tiny, thick, high gradient streams in X area, and another answers picturing medium sized, lower gradient, more open streams in Y area. Then those two argue. But they're both right for the streams they fish, they just have a different base of comparison.

FWIW, many of the streams I fish rarely give you a chance at a backcast. Often its bow and arrow, if for no other reason than to get line in front of you so you can roll cast to get the extra distance. I also often do a shortened hybrid between a roll and a backcast, you kind of lift all of the line off the water like a backcast but don't throw it behind you, only bring it to your side before the forward stroke. If it's open above, you can also do up and down casts, just throw the backcast straight up!

The hard part is drying flies. Use floatant, when it begins to sink, bring it in and blow on it. When all else fails, change the fly.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 11:56

From Southwest, Pa
Where did you park to fish Gillhauser? You may have fished the upper reaches of little yellow, which is a common mistake.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 11:56

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
yea i think we fished the same area, but I think things are a little different than when they were when you did. It is a lot thicker even from last year. I don't waste my time with streams like that when I can fish the class a and b's of fayette, letting you throw 30 footers if you cast cast under trees and such.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 11:59

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
and yes, I know, you don't need to cast that far for native/wilds, but I enjoy doin it that way. A little more challenging than a roll for those small trout. I've never fished a wild freestoner w. anything but a dry fly. Who wants to nymph for 8'' fish? Some, but not this guy. I'd rather fish renosky's club for monster trout or big carp.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 12:02

-Art Lee

Just explained it. I don't remember the road name, but lookin at google maps, Michaels Road fits all of the things I do remember, I think that was it.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 12:02

Well, I'd much rather catch an 8" wild than a monster stocker. Just like I'd rather kill a barely legal buck on public land than go to some fenced place and pay money to kill a monster. But thats just me. I see very little difference in catching a trout raised to 20" in a hatchery before release vs. catching one that was only raised to 10". Catching fish is fun, including stockers, and I'm not above that. But in the "pride" category, level of wildness comes way above size. And yeah, there are levels of wildness. For instance, adult fish stocked as fingerlings are nearly wild, holdovers are more wild than fresh stocked, etc.

For the brushy streams, distance is still the name of the game, but all is relative. Being able to pull off a 30' cast is a rarity. Having to throw a 15' cast sidearm with no backcast while positioned like a pretzel in some rhodo is more common. Yeah, you could approach to 10' and maybe get an easier cast, but you'll spook more fish and catch less that way.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 12:08

I do a lot of mountain stream fishing and if you are going to get one rod for that type of fishing I recommend a 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt.

Regarding rod action, that's a matter of preference. I prefer fast action. I've never had the problem with the rod not loading on short casts, as some have described.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 13:33

From Southwest, Pa
8 '' over stocked trout if on dries without a doubt... but nymphing for those small fish is not for me. I see others here don't seem to believe wilds take dries in winter, but I catch all species in the dead of winter on dries all the time. Just don't see the point in nymphing for wild freestone trout. They will eat anything.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 14:02

-Art Lee

From cambria county
well, just ordered the ll bean 6'6" 3 wt. with a reel and line for $100. the main reason i bought it is cuz it was cheap and ill only use it on the smaller of small streams and on ones with a lot of brush. for the larger brookies streams with minimal brush, ill use my brothers 7'6" 4 wt. i know the reel and line im going to get are CRAP but i dont care. ive used very cheap line before, its not that bad till it cracks, in which case ill just buy 20 dollar junk line to replace it. thanks for all the info and help guys.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 16:21

From SEPA

I think you'll be happy with it. The lifetime satisifaction is the nicest part, and their quest 2 reels aren't as bad as you might think.

I prefer the rod with a 4wt line, but the only 3wt I use has a very long, slender front taper so it doesn't load fast rods too much. It might be better with a different, less gentle, 3wt line. Or, I dunno, I like slow more than fast.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 16:57

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com