HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: brookie rods

From Harrisburg
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
I agree with that but I loved small rods since I started when they were hot-Shenk and Koch were pushing them.:}

Dear Pete,

I remember reading about them, the ultralight trout rods, and the guys in the Cumberland Valley using them.

That was back when the PA Angler was still published in black and white and on magazine stock only slightly upgraded from newsprint.

I like using my 1, 2, and 3 weights too. But in reality they don't catch any more fish for me than my 7 1/2 foot 5 weight does.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/6/26 20:27
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Dear Pete and Steve,

The heavier line weights and faster rods have nothing whatsoever to do with the fish themselves. The stiffer rod isn't for fighting fish. As Tim Murphy says, the fish are dumb, and if you get a fly to them, it makes not one iota of difference whether it was thrown on a 5 wt or a 2 wt, and they're small, so in fighting them, likewise it makes not one iota of difference.

The key is getting a fly to them before getting so close as to spook them. Now, skill is still far more important than equipment, but if you do look for an advantage in equipment, it's in casting. Distance in tight places is the name of the game, all of the equipment, and all of the skill of the angler, is geared towards this end. And when I say tight places, we're talking streams that you can jump across, in a tunnel of rhododendron or other such brush.

You have to cast through some small spaces, under overhanging limbs, etc. And all this with no backcast. Tight loops help. Thats my whole point. A rod doesn't have to be overly "powerful" in the distance casting sense, but it should be "punchy", i.e. capable of throwing tight loops on short casts without much motion to make it happen.

For what its worth, my rod for these streams is a 4/5 wt, and I load it with 6 wt line. There is absolutely no question that such an approach has allowed me to catch some fish I wouldn't have otherwise been able to catch.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/6/27 8:29

From Gettysburg
Make sure whatever rod you select is a four or five piece outfit. Obviously, you're likely to be doing some hiking so think about how you'll pack your rod tube.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 8:42

From Southwest, Pa
dear tim,

Though I find your detailed posts (books), very intuitive, perhaps you may have found a little more about me prior to making such a statement. Prior to having the money in college, I fished every stream w. a 5 wt. Though it does have its place, fishing even streamers where a small rod isn't needed, it will let you fish stretches you CAN'T with a 5 wt. Unless you're desperate and roll casting subsurface flies.

Regards,

Steve

Posted on: 2011/6/27 19:00

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
cray,

I could fish any stream you put me on, besides the yough or larger streams, with my 2wt. I can cast just as far with as I can my five wt. i accredit that to a good stiff build, which is why I suggested the OP get a cheap, stiff blank, such as an rx6.. My friend also reinforced the blank in certain ways to make it stiff.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 19:50

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
... and seriously, when I fished a 5 wt. on small strams, you can't even feel a fish fighting on it. That's the fun with these small rods. A 6'' fish feels like 15'' fish on a 5 wt.

Your points are ALL valid, but if the OP wants to have some fun with a brookie rod, the smaller 1-2 wts are the ticket. 1the occassional wild 15'' brown on my 2 wt. is like fishing steel with my 6.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 19:52

-Art Lee

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
which is why I suggested the OP get a cheap, stiff blank, such as an rx6.. My friend also reinforced the blank in certain ways to make it stiff.

so you're essentially taking a 2 wt and making it a 4 or a 5. :) J/K

No, seriously, I think the heavier line is an advantage in certain situations, no doubt, that is, if you measure success by catching a few more fish. But yeah, the difference between rods would be like the difference between a 20 fish and 25 fish day. i.e. skill is still #1 by far, and both rods will get the job done.

If the fight of those 6" brookies turns you on, well, have at those 2 wts. This sport is about fun and who am I to tell you what is fun for you? Outside of maybe the 1st run of a steelhead, fly fishing was never about the fight for me. Much more about places and puzzles for me.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 21:29

My favorite small stream rods are an Orvis 6'-6" 4 weight bamboo flea rod and a ShuFly 6'-3" 3 weight - both at the other end of the pricing spectrum. And both are full-flexing slower action rods.

I can precision cast either one in tight quarters. I don't want to drag a small brookie in with a stiff, heavier weight rod. Yes, I do appreciate the fight of a small fish on a wispy rod.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 23:06

From harlansburg
I agree a heavier rod is nice to punch a big wulff through the brush or branches, while a light rod lets the little guys show off a bit. I think the 3-4wt glass I built is a happy compromise, it will throw a big wulff pretty nice, yet it is soft enough to let the fish put a bend in the rod. I've fished short stiff rods, just didn't like them. I also have a 6' 4wt bamboo that fishes very similar to the glass rod. both rods just put a smile on my face every time I fish them, and that's the reason we do this to begin with!
fish what ya want, how ya want, and enjoy it!

Posted on: 2011/6/28 6:49

From Chester County
Interesting thread. I agree with Pat's gear choice 100%, but (as he said) it's all about having fun and using the equipment that gives you the most pleasure. Heck, the best equipment choice for catching the most fish would be Frank Nale's UL spinning rod and spinners!........lol

Posted on: 2011/6/28 7:03

From cambria county
all,
thanks for the info, think im gonna go with a 6'6" 3 weight. i want a rod with enough backbone to power a fly through brush in tight quarters, but i also want to enjoy the fight from small brookies. im gonna get rio line, and a super cheap reel, but as for the rod brand, im still searching........

Posted on: 2011/6/28 17:43

great thread, pat I think I recognize that stream... just kidding. I agree with the comments about a 4pc rod being better to hike with than 2 pc, even in a 6'6" rod.

Posted on: 2011/6/28 18:23

From SEPA
Quote:

evw659 wrote:
all,
thanks for the info, think im gonna go with a 6'6" 3 weight. i want a rod with enough backbone to power a fly through brush in tight quarters, but i also want to enjoy the fight from small brookies. im gonna get rio line, and a super cheap reel, but as for the rod brand, im still searching........

LL Bean Quest 2. $70. Lifetime unconditional warranty. Fast for a 3wt, perfection with a 4wt.

I own this, I don't know why I bought it, but I wanted it for some inane reason. Its definatly too stiff for my slow rod lovin' self, but that actually seems llike it fits the bill here. The 3wt line I used was a Cortland Sylk 3DT, a very long front taper line. When I overline it with a 4WFF Cortland-as-Cabela's 444, its a dream. In my hands, it rockets flies to where you want 'em to go.

On top of that, $70 with a no questions asked walk in replacement policy.

The downside is its a two piece.

Should you be going to trico jam, as I'm sure I'll show up at some point, you are welcome to ask me to bring it along. edit: oh, so you're in spitsburgh? yeah, you won't be there. still, its a great budget rod if you get a chance to finger it.

Posted on: 2011/6/28 19:32

From Southwest, Pa
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
which is why I suggested the OP get a cheap, stiff blank, such as an rx6.. My friend also reinforced the blank in certain ways to make it stiff.

so you're essentially taking a 2 wt and making it a 4 or a 5. :) J/K

Outside of maybe the 1st run of a steelhead, fly fishing was never about the fight for me. Much more about places and puzzles for me.

cray,

the reinforcement reallly helps picking line up instead of stripping in and false casting a lot... my buddy has a 5' 2 wt. He loves it, I think it's complete junk.

fly fishing to me, since I feel compelled to answer, the same goes for me... it's all about the experiences. Tranquility, serenity... we all go through phases. It started with steel for me, then progressed to freestone wilds, which I got scolded for dozens of times on another forum (how do you even have fun fishing for those tiny trout?).. mostly coming from idiots who fish ugly sticks and nightcrawlers who have no idea what rot wt. classification and dry flies are. You know, the ones who think the sulphur's are mosquitoes.

Then it was about limestoners and fishing to educated wild and finglerings... Now, when I get time to get out (hard with a newborn, been out once in the past month. I'm blessed with a girl who tells me to go all the time, but I'd rather be at home helping out) I find myself wanting to take newcomers to sport. I gave up my dream of guiding for the mere 5 month season in Alaska because I didn't want to miss any part of her early transitions through life.

Now, I leave the class A's alone and search out the streams that require long hikes. If any of you have the chance to fish Gillhouser Run here in Indiana Co., try to fish it with any rod over 7 feet.

sorry for boring you all w. the life story!

To the OP, keep us updated of our first outing with your rod of choice!

Posted on: 2011/7/1 23:49

-Art Lee

From cambria county
well, im still searching. Does anybody know of a company that makes a 4 piece 7' or under at a price under $120?

Posted on: 2011/7/12 15:08

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com