breathable waders for cold water/weather

pro4mance

pro4mance

Any suggestions ?

I don't really think there's an advantage from one pair of breathables to another when you're looking at warmth. If warmth is what you're looking for just get some neoprenes. Was just looking at Cabela's and they have some 5mm stockingfoot for $70. Can't beat that.

Agree with ryguy. If you're looking for warmth go neoprene. I had a cheap pair of hodgeman neoprene that lasted like 6 years before they got a leak.

I'll echo the neoprene comments. In fact, that's exactly what my duck hunting waders are going to double for: cold weather fly fishing. The only catch is that neoprene can be more restrictive, particularly in the legs. If you want or need to layer because of changing conditions, breathable can be a bit more flexible in how mny layers you can fit in them before they get too tight.

I have a pair of Remington neoprene waders that re 10+ years old. When they leak, I use aquaseal to make the necessary repairs.

Get breathables that fit loose enough for fitting heavy fleece underneath. You'll want to layer a wicking longjohn, then the fleece, then the waders. You'll be dry and warm enough. Also, make sure you can fit a couple layers of socks in the booties. Get the merino wool and wear nylon dress socks underneath. I go all year with one set of breathables with a little room.

I buy my neoprene waders a size big because I'm expecting to have several layers on underneath. Plus there's nothing worse in the fly fishing world then putting on cold wet neoprene waders... the extra room is needed.

I'll second what others have said about neoprene waders but would add that if you plan on fishing consecutive days in them, a boot dryer with the wader extensions is a very sound investment. My neoprenes typically don't dry inside overnight even when hung with adequate ventilation. A boot dryer remedies this situation nicely and eliminates having to put on clammy waders the next day.

Simms headwaters can be found on clearance for $250 or less. They are 3 layer construction. Make sure you leave room for layers. Other option is to get a cheap pair of neoprenes for winter / steelie fishing. Again, get them a little big.

Hey.... pair of LL Beans in the swap forum. They might fit.

Go with the breathable waders that have some room to layer, as others have suggested. It's the warm air that is trapped between the outer layer and your body that keeps you warm, fleece helps trap the warm air in the puffy fibers. You want to make sure you have enough room for the layer of warm air; don't make things too snug when you're all layered up.

Thanks for the responses. I have a pair of neo's but everytime I wear them after a couple hours I get a pain almost like a hip flexor. It gets painful to walk/wade. It doesn't happen in my breathables and I don't feel like 10 pounds of sausage in a 5 pound bag. I have some layering options. May just bring them both to the Steelhead Jam and try both, can probably get someplace to try on a different pair of neo's before Thursday.

I realize I might be in the minority, but I use a pair of breathable boot-foot waders with thinsulate in the boots - 1 size larger than I need.

I just add some cheap insoles to make walking easy and to insulate the soles and then 2 pair of socks. A pair of sweat pants over top of my jeans and I'm toasty warm in the waders.

I've been wearing Allens, but I think Orvis also makes them with felt soled boots.

I know this approach isn't what most people do but it's worked for me for many years - I love fishing in the snow.

KeithS wrote:
Get breathables that fit loose enough for fitting heavy fleece underneath. You'll want to layer a wicking longjohn, then the fleece, then the waders. You'll be dry and warm enough. Also, make sure you can fit a couple layers of socks in the booties. Get the merino wool and wear nylon dress socks underneath. I go all year with one set of breathables with a little room.

this is the answer.

Take a poop and use baby powder before putting on your neoprenes. There is no charge for that tip. You're welcome.

krayfish wrote:
Take a poop and use baby powder before putting on your neoprenes. There is no charge for that tip. You're welcome.

I'm gonna have to try this next time out.

krayfish wrote:

lol. can you imagine that insufferable mess of caked talc powder and groin sweat?

Norm,

Are your neoprenes boot foot or stocking foot?

If they're boot foot that may be more of your problem than the material of the waders. Most attached boots are crap and will ruin everyone's day if walked around in all day.

They are stocking foot, I had them last year at the steelhead jam.

Agree with the loose breathable notion. Layering underneath>warmer waders.

Polyester based long undies + wool boot socks + polyester thermal fleece pants & shirt + waders + wading jacket + fingerless gloves = All you'll ever need.

boot foot & neoprene is the way to ensure you don't get cold feet.

is that how women get into those tight jeans? baby powder, who would have guessed.

Back