Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

breathable waders for cold water/weather

From lower burrell, pa
Any suggestions ?

Posted on: 2013/11/5 10:48

Re: breathable waders for cold water/weather

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I don't really think there's an advantage from one pair of breathables to another when you're looking at warmth. If warmth is what you're looking for just get some neoprenes. Was just looking at Cabela's and they have some 5mm stockingfoot for $70. Can't beat that.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 10:56

From Carbon County
Agree with ryguy. If you're looking for warmth go neoprene. I had a cheap pair of hodgeman neoprene that lasted like 6 years before they got a leak.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 11:45

From Fairborn, OH
I'll echo the neoprene comments. In fact, that's exactly what my duck hunting waders are going to double for: cold weather fly fishing. The only catch is that neoprene can be more restrictive, particularly in the legs. If you want or need to layer because of changing conditions, breathable can be a bit more flexible in how mny layers you can fit in them before they get too tight.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 12:31

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I have a pair of Remington neoprene waders that re 10+ years old. When they leak, I use aquaseal to make the necessary repairs.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 12:33

From Lansdale
Get breathables that fit loose enough for fitting heavy fleece underneath. You'll want to layer a wicking longjohn, then the fleece, then the waders. You'll be dry and warm enough. Also, make sure you can fit a couple layers of socks in the booties. Get the merino wool and wear nylon dress socks underneath. I go all year with one set of breathables with a little room.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 12:54

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I buy my neoprene waders a size big because I'm expecting to have several layers on underneath. Plus there's nothing worse in the fly fishing world then putting on cold wet neoprene waders... the extra room is needed.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 12:54

From Central PA
I'll second what others have said about neoprene waders but would add that if you plan on fishing consecutive days in them, a boot dryer with the wader extensions is a very sound investment. My neoprenes typically don't dry inside overnight even when hung with adequate ventilation. A boot dryer remedies this situation nicely and eliminates having to put on clammy waders the next day.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 13:37

From Dauphin PA
Simms headwaters can be found on clearance for $250 or less. They are 3 layer construction. Make sure you leave room for layers. Other option is to get a cheap pair of neoprenes for winter / steelie fishing. Again, get them a little big.

Hey.... pair of LL Beans in the swap forum. They might fit.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 13:56

From Ohio
Go with the breathable waders that have some room to layer, as others have suggested. It's the warm air that is trapped between the outer layer and your body that keeps you warm, fleece helps trap the warm air in the puffy fibers. You want to make sure you have enough room for the layer of warm air; don't make things too snug when you're all layered up.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 16:46

From lower burrell, pa
Thanks for the responses. I have a pair of neo's but everytime I wear them after a couple hours I get a pain almost like a hip flexor. It gets painful to walk/wade. It doesn't happen in my breathables and I don't feel like 10 pounds of sausage in a 5 pound bag. I have some layering options. May just bring them both to the Steelhead Jam and try both, can probably get someplace to try on a different pair of neo's before Thursday.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 17:19

From SE Pa
I realize I might be in the minority, but I use a pair of breathable boot-foot waders with thinsulate in the boots - 1 size larger than I need.

I just add some cheap insoles to make walking easy and to insulate the soles and then 2 pair of socks. A pair of sweat pants over top of my jeans and I'm toasty warm in the waders.

I've been wearing Allens, but I think Orvis also makes them with felt soled boots.

I know this approach isn't what most people do but it's worked for me for many years - I love fishing in the snow.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 20:19

From Eastern PA
Quote:

KeithS wrote:
Get breathables that fit loose enough for fitting heavy fleece underneath. You'll want to layer a wicking longjohn, then the fleece, then the waders. You'll be dry and warm enough. Also, make sure you can fit a couple layers of socks in the booties. Get the merino wool and wear nylon dress socks underneath. I go all year with one set of breathables with a little room.

this is the answer.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 22:47

From Dauphin PA
Take a poop and use baby powder before putting on your neoprenes. There is no charge for that tip. You're welcome.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 22:57

From Fairborn, OH
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Take a poop and use baby powder before putting on your neoprenes. There is no charge for that tip. You're welcome.

I'm gonna have to try this next time out.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 23:36

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com